Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 10:59 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But Florida continues to add NEW Cases every day. It hasn't plateaued. You don't know if this is just the beginning of the spike or the end.

And neither do the idiot Mayors and Governor in Florida.

That's the thing.

They are basing their decisions on feelings not on facts.

Not planning to go to Florida for some time so I'm okay.

AND I will say -- from my timeshare group -- I know folks 'breaking' the rules and traveling from all over to get their beach time. I'm telling you ------ people are selfish, ignorant, whatever.....

Covid-19 is an indoor disease.

You're probably 100X more likely to catch it going to the grocery store once a week, even with a mask on, than you are on that beach.

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...we have a winner

check my math...I could be off

Florida has a population of ~21 million.....so far, since day 1, there's been about 25,269 cases total

..that's about 12/100th of 1 percent of the population...0.12%

740 deaths have been attributed to CV.......... 0.000035% of the population...... 35/1000000th of 1%
so far -- remember when Trump said the 15 cases were all we had and that wasn't an issue.

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
https://twitter.com/Sabrina_McDa/sta...01580219584513

A little harsh -- not everyone who lives in Florida is a moron, of course -- but the state and local government's decision to reopen the beaches during a pandemic is moronic.

A crowded beach and people aren't wearing masks. Think you can't get COVID-19 at the beach? "Spring breakers in Florida​ were criticized for ignoring coronavirus social distancing guidelines. Five students have now tested positive for COVID-19" How stupid can you get? With Governor DeSantis in charge, apparently stupidity knows no bounds.
The biggest moron in Florida is DeSantis who opened the beaches and deemed WWE a necessary business because reruns.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:03 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...we have a winner

check my math...I could be off

Florida has a population of ~21 million.....so far, since day 1, there's been about 25,269 confirmed cases total

..that's about 12/100th of 1 percent of the population...0.12%

740 deaths have been attributed to CV.......... 0.000035% of the population...... 35/1000000th of 1%
I am in Florida and know quite a few sick people who can't get tested... and they also only test one household member; the rest, if sick, are just assumed to have it but don't count in the total. Plus there are the private labs whose cases weren't being counted as of a few days ago (not sure if that's still the case). I would multiply that number by quite a bit, and they are growing by the day.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
But Florida continues to add NEW Cases every day. It hasn't plateaued. You don't know if this is just the beginning of the spike or the end.

And neither do the idiot Mayors and Governor in Florida.

That's the thing.

They are basing their decisions on feelings not on facts.

Not planning to go to Florida for some time so I'm okay.

AND I will say -- from my timeshare group -- I know folks 'breaking' the rules and traveling from all over to get their beach time. I'm telling you ------ people are selfish, ignorant, whatever.....
My son lives in one of the areas in FL that has been hit hard. Since he's NOT STUPID - he won't be hanging out at the beach anytime soon.

He had exercise-induced asthma when he was younger and used an inhaler as a high school and college swimmer. He hasn't used an inhaler in years and still runs so . . hopefully he outgrew the asthma. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:04 AM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
https://twitter.com/Sabrina_McDa/sta...01580219584513

A little harsh -- not everyone who lives in Florida is a moron, of course -- but the state and local government's decision to reopen the beaches during a pandemic is moronic.

A crowded beach and people aren't wearing masks. Think you can't get COVID-19 at the beach? "Spring breakers in Florida​ were criticized for ignoring coronavirus social distancing guidelines. Five students have now tested positive for COVID-19" How stupid can you get? With Governor DeSantis in charge, apparently stupidity knows no bounds.
Do you call Sweden's strategy of intentionally trying to bring about herd immunity by having no lock down moronic? Or is this limited to Florida? Genuine question

Old 04-18-2020, 11:04 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
so far -- remember when Trump said the 15 cases were all we had and that wasn't an issue.

...and pelosi said party in China town, and the WHO said it wasn't contagious, and Fauci said to go on a cruise, and CNN said it was nothing to worry about, and Cuomo said he didn't have enough ventilators, and now he's giving them away

Old 04-18-2020, 11:10 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Do you call Sweden's strategy of intentionally trying to bring about herd immunity by having no lock down moronic? Or is this limited to Florida? Genuine question
Yes, Sweden's strategy is also moronic. I don't care as much because I don't live there. Some differences: they don't have sick people unable to afford hospital treatment like we do here, and they don't have people who need to go to work while sick due to a lack of paid sick time there. I'm also thinking that Sweden doesn't have the same elderly population that Florida does, but I haven't researched that. So not only is Governor DeSantis a moron, but he's heaping those stupid decisions on top of healthcare and societal systems that are fragmented and already not meeting the needs of many, many people.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:12 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Good on them. Get that herd immunity up. That's the key to beating this thing. Not cowering in fear in your home waiting for a vaccine that will never come.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:14 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That’s rich. California residents are the last people who should be calling anyone else names. Their stupidity is unmatched.

And for all the pearl clutchers who think everyone should be quarantined indefinitely, there is nothing stopping you from staying in your house for months or years. In fact I encourage it, society will be better off.
I agree with you 100%, RowingFiend.

I'm live in California and, yes, consider California the freak show of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies