Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 06:41 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
no, it's not reasonable, and the average cost for a knee replacement is $57K, you're $200,000 off on your cost estimate.
Total amount charged for my two knees was $250,000.00. Two separate surgeries, six months apart, each requiring a hospital stay plus a couple weeks of in-home PT followed by a couple months of outpatient PT. I paid my $3500 yearly max deductible and then stopped paying attention to the billing/amount paid. $3500 is what I paid. Ahhhh to be able to WALK again is worth every single penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 06:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouringsunshine View Post
But isn’t paying for something through taxes (which I believe is how national health insurance exists) cheaper than paying tens of thousands of dollars for health insurance. Then again part of me feels like systems like the UK’s are a little unfair because everybody pays for medical costs even if they don’t need medical help themselves.
Do people in the US pay for the police or fire brigade even if they don't need police or fire service help themselves?

Old 04-19-2020, 07:06 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
1) Get a job that offers health insurance.
Many jobs now are called "Temporary" to get around having to pay benefits like insurance.

Quote:
2) Or get catastrophic health insurance it is relatively inexpensive and protect against those types of emergencies. Probably less than 200 a month for a non smoker.
get sick, then what???? How does one pay the astronomical deductible? Oh but at least you have "insurance"!

Quote:
4) If you are poor in America there are options for you to get insurance.
Not remotely true!

Quote:
5) Or the best? plan expect someone else with more money to pay for you.. While you are at it you should expect someone to pay for you food and your housing also.
Coming from someone who either has a Cadillac Plan from their employer, extremely wealthy, or on Original Medicare with a Supplement Plan F or G.
For the rest of the populations, America's "So Called" healthcare system is a disaster made worse by Obama Care which just enriched the insurers, the conglomerate hospital systems, and Big Pharma!
Until one addresses the root causes for our terrible system and its excessive costs, nothing will change.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:17 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Many Americans get credit to pay for these expenses and then file bankruptcy.

I know people who have filed bankruptcy multiple times due to health expenses and they have seen really no negative repercussions from it.

It's very easy to do here.
It's easy if you have no assets. Also, one does not keep filing bankruptcy. It takes years to regain credit worthiness. So, apparently your friends file bankruptcy everytime they get sick, what, every 7 years or so?

Old 04-19-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouringsunshine View Post
But isn’t paying for something through taxes (which I believe is how national health insurance exists) cheaper than paying tens of thousands of dollars for health insurance. Then again part of me feels like systems like the UK’s are a little unfair because everybody pays for medical costs even if they don’t need medical help themselves.
They will need medical help eventually. Early on it may be minor issues, but you can bet your bottom dollar one day it will be a very major medical issue.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Most folks pay for a healthcare package through their employers or employed spouses.

It’s really not rocket science.
Until your employer does not provide coverage any longer. Happens all the time.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Sorry OP but Greece is not a good model for cost control.

Greece already defaulted on their debt once, their sovereign debt is junk now and yet they may even be going to default again now.

I don't think we want to be doing that in the USA.

I agree our current healthcare system sucks though.
True, however the EU made a deal that Greece should have refused but foolishly accepted....a very bad deal.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:27 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Total amount charged for my two knees was $250,000.00. Two separate surgeries, six months apart, each requiring a hospital stay plus a couple weeks of in-home PT followed by a couple months of outpatient PT. I paid my $3500 yearly max deductible and then stopped paying attention to the billing/amount paid. $3500 is what I paid. Ahhhh to be able to WALK again is worth every single penny.
Guess they can spot a sucker. Really it's situations like this where people don't care what it costs that drives up the cost for everyone.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Short answer is, we can't afford the healthcare system. lol

Saw a documentary on PBS about diabetes. in 1980, a month's supply of Insulin, a live saving medication for many, was $18. Fast forward to now. If you don't have any insurance, it will cost you $1000. People have died because they could not afford Insulin.

I know some people don't believe in God or Karma. But you have to wonder what is on the mind of these executives at these pharmaceutical corporations to sit and watch people die simply because they refuse to lower the price of a lifesaving medication. I just couldn't do it. And certainly I would find it hard to work for such a company. More and more people have diabetes so they increase the price 100 times? It should be as cheap as Tylenol.

The saying goes, "There is no profit in healthy people."

There should be a law. If a drug literally keeps you alive, the price should be capped to where people aren't dying because they can't afford it making minimum wage.
I know someone who died because they kept cutting back on their insulin because of cost. What many people don't realize is that before the 1980s, most hospitals and health insurance coverages were non-profit.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:42 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Until your employer does not provide coverage any longer. Happens all the time.
Or they keep changing the co-pays and increasing the deductible until it is completely unaffordable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies