Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 07:49 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, the 20-year-old with cancer (certainly sad), the overweight 45-year old with diabetes and high blood pressure, and the 70-year-old with COPD can all remain home, given that they are in the vulnerable group.

Meantime, those in their 60s and younger, with no underlying condition and at minimal risk, can return to work and other activities, maintaining some degree of social distancing.
Doesn't matter, you can still have conditions you don't know about until that **** hits you. You don't know who has a condition and doesn't at times. You are the problem.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:53 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Doesn't matter, you can still have conditions you don't know about until that **** hits you. You don't know who has a condition and doesn't at times. You are the problem.
You do know the CDC estimates that there have been between 29,000-59,000 flu deaths in the US as of mid March and we have a vaccine for the flu!

Why weren’t we all told to cower in our houses because of the flu?

Did you do that? If not, why not?

Old 04-19-2020, 08:01 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
My sister is a nurse practitioner and my good friend is a doc, and they have both said the only primary, main way it is transmitted is if you touch your face with your hands.

You get it through your mouth, nose or eyes.

If you breathe on something, you are not spreading the virus. If you are in a very close proximity with someone or many others, for 15 - 20 min or longer without a mask, then you can spread it to others by your spittle/breath. But you have to be very close to them or in an enclosed area or space for at least 15 min+.

But just walking around without a mask, that does not spread it onto objects or onto others.

This is excellent news. Those who are older (70ish and up) and with compromised immune systems, have to self isolate or wear masks and gloves at all times. Until a vaccine is made.

And those who live with elderly over 70ish+ and live with those with compromised immune systems will have to self isolate and wear masks/gloves while going out.

The rest of the population should be fine to go about their lives normally, and not have this extreme panic any longer at all.
-Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks. -cdc
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...d-spreads.html

-A person infected with coronavirus — even one with no symptoms — may emit aerosols when they talk or breathe. -Harvard Med
https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...ovid-19-basics

- The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. -WHO
https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses

-May also spread through airborne transmission, when tiny droplets remain in the air even after the person with the virus leaves the area. -John Hopkins
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...ts-infographic

and for those afraid of being seen as 'boot lickers'- here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Why can't the paranoid boot-lickers stay hidden in their homes while the rest of us get on with our lives?-covid.jpg  

Old 04-19-2020, 08:08 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
fine return your check to the treasury.

You're beautiful. Selfish entitled baby boomer above.

All of that isn't the point.. the point is there is no skin off your back to sit home forever because you have social security, but for the rest of us.. we have to make a living.
Well, this "selfish entitled baby boomer" is helping to keep the economy going by employing people to mow my lawn, install new plumbing, paint my house inside (I don't do tall ladders anymore), do some electrical work next week, and build replacement back steps. So, exactly how are YOU contributing to the economy?

Old 04-19-2020, 08:12 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
fine return your check to the treasury.

You're beautiful. Selfish entitled baby boomer above.

All of that isn't the point.. the point is there is no skin off your back to sit home forever because you have social security, but for the rest of us.. we have to make a living.
The congress is working on additional SBA funds for your beauty shop - think - soon you will be on overtime cutting everyone’s hair - start stock piling garbage bags. I think you are panicking (keep complaining about boomers) because you are much younger. I”ll say this. Seems - I don’t know - you may have little experience at having to go back to zero and start over again due to the bad things that happen in life. Many of us already went around that block several times, and we know will survive and do better. I get it - I’ve been in nowhere land looking at only darkness - but stop panicking-this too shall pass. Have some faith and confidence in yourself to rise again. Really. It’s only a little bit longer - see other countries- they are slowing down and reopening - we will too.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:15 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
I agree. I’ve been saying that for weeks.
Stringent precautions for high risk groups, and common sense preventative practices for all, but not a total shutdown of the country.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:20 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Because with this virus, you aren't only risking your life. You're risking the lives of others. If it were just you or any person who wants to be out and about being affected, I'd say go for it. But it's not that simple. It's like burning hazardous waste in your yard. You may have a right to do what you want on your property, but your freedom ends where my space begins.
Why stop with quarantine then? If saving one life is so vital, why not ban cars? Swimming pools? Automatic garage doors?

You're a little confused about how freedom works. We are born FREE. The government has no right to restrict that freedom. They have no right to force us to stay on our property without cause. Unless it is PROVEN that I will contaminate you, then MY freedom is in no way interfering with yours. Speculating and assuming isn't fact. And should never be a reason to limit MY freedom to move about.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:21 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Stringent precautions for high risk groups, and common sense preventative practices for all, but not a total shutdown of the country.
Exactly

Old 04-19-2020, 08:22 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Serious question. If you're afraid to end social distancing by going out, nothing is preventing you from cowering in fear for as many months as you like. And those of us who are willing to risk it can resume our normal lives.
The snowflake types will only come out to play again once their media masters have told them the coast is clear. Their every life move now hinges on the green light from the "experts." Pretty sad when you think about it. The so-called "experts" who have been proven wrong time and time again now hold the shackles to the freedoms and liberties the snowflakes once enjoyed.......

Old 04-19-2020, 08:25 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
-Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks. -cdc
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...d-spreads.html

-A person infected with coronavirus — even one with no symptoms — may emit aerosols when they talk or breathe. -Harvard Med
https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...ovid-19-basics

- The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. -WHO
https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses

-May also spread through airborne transmission, when tiny droplets remain in the air even after the person with the virus leaves the area. -John Hopkins
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...ts-infographic

and for those afraid of being seen as 'boot lickers'- here ya go
Like my post before, although I am not a doctor, my good friend is and my sister is a nurse practitioner, who see this stuff daily.

You have to be within very close proximity with someone for longer than 15 mins and not be wearing a mask to get this. Or, you have to touch your hands that have the virus on them, to your nose, mouth and eyes.

The key is CLOSE proximity for a 15 min+ period.

Healthy folks walking around are not going to catch it by someone passing them on the street.

If you are in a vulnerable population over 70ish+, or have a compromised immune system, or live with those that do, protect yourself, wear a mask, wear gloves and stay indoors.

The rest of the 300 milion + or so healthy folks can go about their routine business, and practice good hand washing and common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies