Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 04:38 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times

Advertisements

Why do people come here to make the most obscene and inflammatory remarks they can think of? Are they that desperate for attention?

Old 04-20-2020, 05:03 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
they could instead get $2000 a month for standing on their feet for 8 hours behind a cash register.
$2K a month ain't nearly enough to get me to stand behind a cash register and have a bunch of filthy pigs spewing lord knows what at me.
You're lucky to get some flimsy little paper mask for "protection". What a joke that is.

I truly feel sorry for those people, having to smile at "customers" who could very well be making them ill.
It's damn near impossible for them to maintain any kind of distance.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-20-2020 at 05:17 AM..

Old 04-20-2020, 05:13 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
There is no possible way to work this out in a way that is fair to everyone. How many can we sacrifice, should we stop everything until the last person is safe? Do most people even know what is going on? I wish I knew. I feel that I am part of a community, like it or not, and all of us owe it to our community to sacrifice for the greater good. That is not the same as giving up your rights.Ask any veteran. So I may not have the answers but I do have a message to all of those who are freaking out about a few weeks of sacrificing sports or shopping. Check yourself, please.
I am a veteran. The difference is that I volunteered, I was not forced to join.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:25 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
$2K a month ain't nearly enough to get me to stand behind a cash register and have a bunch of filthy pigs spewing lord knows what at me.
You're lucky to get some flimsy little paper mask for "protection". What a joke that is.

I truly feel sorry for those people, having to smile at "customers" who could very well be making them ill.
It's damn near impossible for them to maintain any kind of distance.
I have no clue what you’re saying unless it is that people who were earning $2k a month at a crappy job, because some money was better than nothing and it’s the best they were able to get, would instead choose to do nothing for $4k a month if that choice were available? Well....duh. But what’s your point? That because they weren’t able to get a better paying job, we should double their income (paid for by other people, many of whom with a tight budget themselves) and just fork over $4k for nothing?

Old 04-20-2020, 05:32 AM

312 posts, read 1,059,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
From a medical standpoint, that will literally always be the advice, but there are other considerations. We could save lives if we did this every flu season, just shut half the country down for a few months every year.....but that's not very practical now is it?

There is an acceptable number of casualties, it really sucks to be them, but keeping things shut down for several more months in an attempt to save a few people isn't worth the global depression it would cause. Paradoxically, many more lives would be lost in that scenario.

bobbythegreat- This disease is new, and research does not have enough samples to paint the full picture, but it seems that it's not only the frail and elderly who die from it. It's also based on other factors which I don't know, but Young, healthy people can die. You could be one of the unlucky ones,or infect someone you love. You are entitled to your opinion, but I hope you are not employed in my VA hospital.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:40 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Translation: "i aint seting home no more got to get to walmarts dont care if others get itit aint my problem"

Old 04-20-2020, 05:45 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Translation: "i aint seting home no more got to get to walmarts dont care if others get itit aint my problem"
Translation: I am not going to allow government and the MEDIA destroy my life over a virus that gives the vast majority of people minor cold and flu symptoms and violate mot of my Natural Rights protected by law. Those at risk should be staying at home and staying out of my way.

Why let people who feel they are superior and special like YOU run my life?

Old 04-20-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I have no clue what you’re saying unless it is that people who were earning $2k a month at a crappy job, because some money was better than nothing and it’s the best they were able to get, would instead choose to do nothing for $4k a month if that choice were available? Well....duh. But what’s your point? That because they weren’t able to get a better paying job, we should double their income (paid for by other people, many of whom with a tight budget themselves) and just fork over $4k for nothing?
It ain't that hard to understand.
I wouldn't do it for $2K a month or whatever.
You work in hazardous conditions, you should get hazard pay, not the %$%^& these people are getting.

You gotta really be desperate to do that job.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:51 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, as I think that decisions are being made based on the number of deaths, as well as new infections, and data is (I would think) vital, I would think that someone would be notifying the state's department of health of COVID-19 deaths within 24 hours. However, I have never done such work, or even worked in a hospital except as a volunteer, so I don't know that this would be true, but -- again -- it is what I would think would happen, unless an autopsy would need to be done first. (However, based on reports, I don't think autopsies are taking place in most of these cases. Again, I could be wrong, of course.)
A big issue with death certificates in general is that so few autopsies are done. Very often the autopsy might reveal something that was not suspected before death. With COVID-19 - or any infectious disease - there is the risk that the pathologist doing the procedure will get infected. There is a disincentive to do one if the diagnosis seems clear cut.

There is a certain amount of work in generating a death certificate. If someone dies at 2 AM, it is not going to be done by 5 PM. The people working at night have to get some rest.

Autopsies also cost money that families do not wish to spend.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Translation: I am not going to allow government and the MEDIA destroy my life over a virus that gives the vast majority of people minor cold and flu symptoms and violate mot of my Natural Rights protected by law. Those at risk should be staying at home and staying out of my way.

Why let people who feel they are superior and special like YOU run my life?
You willing to sign a waiver that says you will get no healthcare if you get it in exchange for this "freedom" you so desire?
I mean, it's just the flu, so you'll get over it on your own, right? Just have some chicken soup, you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies