Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 12:07 PM

18,459 posts, read 7,087,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Yes man everythings a conspiracy .

Scientists are saying to continue a lockdown but it’s all too get Trump out of office.

I should listen to nutjobs on forums over scientists on how to handle this.

The virus is bad.

It's worse than the flu.

We need social distancing.

Some people aren't taking it seriously enough.

Some people are over reacting.

There is a fine line between under reacting and over reacting

Some people and the Media have a vested interest in prolonging the shutdowns and making it seem worse than it actually is.

Democrats are using the virus as a political weapon against Trump and will continue to criticize his handling of it and point the finger of blame at him, regardless of what he actually does.

All of the above statements can be true simultaneously.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:08 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
We won’t be locked down 2 more months. Texas is doing limited reopening starting tomorrow. The whole country will be opened somewhat by the end of May. We probably won’t have big events for a long time but mostly life will be normal.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:09 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Then, we as a society have ALREADY decided that 45,000 deaths a year in car crashes is a price we are willing to pay to allow people to drive cars
Congratulations on the false equivalence. Car crashes are not contagious.

Quote:
3) Finally, we get to the TRUE costs in additional deaths (beyond what we have as a society already determined is acceptable), and I'd say 10,000 - the majority of whom are elderly and have already completed 95% of their lives.
So it's OK to sacrifice people just because they're old? Wow. You might want to rein in all that compassion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
According to CNN in the 2017-2018 season, the flu killed 80,000+ in the United States. That is a lot of deaths from the flu every single year and no shutdowns, no lockdowns
You and everyone else who continues to spout this nonsense has been told a few thousand times why this current pandemic is not comparable to flu viruses. Yet you (the collective you) refuse to listen to research, history, and logic. Shame on you.

Quote:
We need a NUMBER.
Fine. Base that number on data, research, history, and logic. Whaddaya got?

I'm guessing crickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Let the elderly 70ish+ and the vulnerable with compromised immune systems protect themselves: they must stay indoors, practice social distancing, wear masks, wear gloves and be extremely cautious, until a vaccine is found.
The problem with that is this: I go to the grocery store, or to work as someone who is 60+ and has a couple of risk factors. I'm doing my best to keep my distance from everyone else, and am wearing a mask (not to protect ME, but to protect YOU), and am taking the proper precautions. Some numbnut who decides that social distancing is a restriction of his rights and who refuses to wear a mask reaches in front of me to grab something off the shelves and sneezes in the process.

Quote:
To put my tin foil hat one though, lol, I agree with folks that said there is something sinister up with this whole thing. It's very convenient it wrecked the economy, and happened in an election year. It just doesn't seem like a "whoops, the virus got out."

Timing was done well to wreck Trump, potentially. This was a test run or a plan of a larger something.
Take your tin foil hat off. It's not flattering.

If this was a 'plan of a larger something', how did the mustache-twirling planners get China and then the entire globe to go along with it? I'm really curious about this.

Quote:
But we are on the downward slope.
Not where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
this is a local problem and will be treated as such. That's what the experts say.
I agree with that - to a point. Commuting patterns, etc., should be taken into account.

Quote:
What about people with mentally ill family, who are driven to desperation? Or people with family who kicked a drug habit, and now are driven back by despair? What about family members who inherited a 60-year-old family business, and have watched it evaporate due to forced isolation, are now on suicide watch? Or what about later, as 30% of the population is out of work, impoverished, and whose health suffers as a result? What about the additional crime that will result, with botched armed burglaries and deaths there?
If this were any other thread, people like yourself would be saying:
a) They need to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.
b) PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!
c) Suicide is a choice.
d) Get a job.
e) Throw their asses in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
LIke you are too stupid to figure it out, with common sense. (because common sense, goes completely against those on a power trip's thinking)
Anyone with common sense would be staying at home as much as possible, wearing a mask when in a public place, and keeping their distance from others when they're out.

But no. Some people are too stupid to follow basic recommendations based on science and common sense. This is why we can't have nice things.

Quote:
Then why: a) are number of deaths being inflated (anytime someone dies with a terminal condition who ALSO has COVID, the death is attributed to COVID)
Because it was COVID-19 that killed them, not the terminal condition. My 85-year-old mother, for instance, has well-controlled congestive heart disease. It's not going to kill her anytime soon. But if she contracts COVID-19, the complications from the virus - not from the heart disease - could very well kill her.

Do you get it now?
Quote:
Now it looks like it will be 60,000 (still awful, but significantly better, and just about in line with the regular flu, bad season). Are people inflating things to "save face"?
Do you not understand that this is a new - hence the word "novel" before "coronavirus - virus and it's all a guessing game? When the virus first appeared no one knew what it was, how it spread, etc. etc. etc. There is so much about this virus we still don't know.

Nevermind that the downward-adjusted estimates for U.S. deaths means that the social distancing and closure of non-essential businesses is contributing to the adjusted estimate. D'oh!

Quote:
I'm not saying any of that. I was responding to a leftist who said that lives of older people aren't expendable
I have a challenge for everyone participating in this forum. See if you can continue your discussion without employing political epithets. They really do nothing for the debate.

Quote:
STOP DEMONIZING people who disagree with the liberal stance, please.
Oh, the irony ...

Old 04-19-2020, 12:12 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
..we built more hospitals......and sent hospital ships. ...

They're sitting empty.
The Javits Ctr wasn't empty, it 800 patients. That's a HUGE number.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-19-2020, 12:14 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The virus is bad.

It's worse than the flu.

We need social distancing.

Some people aren't taking it seriously enough.

Some people are over reacting.

There is a fine line between under reacting and over reacting

Some people and the Media have a vested interest in prolonging the shutdowns and making it seem worse than it actually is.

Democrats are using the virus as a political weapon against Trump and will continue to criticize his handling of it and point the finger of blame at him, regardless of what he actually does.

All of the above statements can be true simultaneously.
And all that you said can be true while simaltaneously Trump has handled this badly.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:14 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So it's OK to sacrifice people just because they're old? Wow. You might want to rein in all that compassion.
It's funny how the OP continues to deny she ever said this. It's as though we are supposed to skip over the OP and not respond to it because even the OP knows how despicable this opinion is. Anyone with reading comprehension knows this is exactly what she is advocating for in her OP. She says it right out loud.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Why do you suppose that is?
Could it be because the stay-at-home orders are having the desired results?

Probably, yes.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

But it's not something that's actually provable.

Anyways it's irrelevant to the point that we always have a number of deaths that we, as a society deem "acceptable" to keep the economy functional.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:17 PM

413 posts, read 209,210 times
You may want to watch this video, speaking of a horrible response to Covid19: https://youtu.be/9lhmy-KlaI8

Old 04-19-2020, 12:20 PM

413 posts, read 209,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
My sister works in a Queens hospital and she has horror stories..these people are idiots
Well, to be fair, people were following orders from NY officials at first: https://youtu.be/9lhmy-KlaI8

Old 04-19-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
And all that you said can be true while simaltaneously Trump has handled this badly.

All this Monday morning quarterbacking must be exhasting.....

Face, it......

You'd be blaming Trump no matter what he did or didn't do.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't as far as you're concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies