Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 09:41 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
B) You are saying that my 81 yo self is more expendable than a young person driven to despair and depression as a result of the lock down.

Which of us is a more productive taxpaying individual? What about our contribution to the country as a whole?

Age is all that counts? The young person has more potential, so they get to live? Who gets to judge?

IMO, from what I see, few of us had a years worth of savings so we could withstand what came our way. A pox on them. Whining so the county has to bail them out.

What about businesses having a years worth of overhead so they could ride out misfortune? They are having to be bailed out after 3 weeks.

This whole country was on shaky ground before the pandemic. So much for the booming economy.

Looks like all that rescue the businesses money is going to those who don't need it.
I'm not saying any of that. I was responding to a leftist who said that lives of older people aren't expendable, while ignoring the fact that younger people will lose their lives if we continue to drive them into impoverishment. She apparently was giving more value to older people than younger people.

And as far as businesses having a year's worth of overhead?? Get real. The vast majority of small businesses are small little ventures, and having a year's worth of overhead is impossible. But I do agree they should have at least two or three months' worth of overhead. (I had my own business, and I did. But I could not survive an entire year with fixed costs continuing, and no revenue.)

And as far as people, yes....we've talked about that before. (Leftists usually pounce on this.) People who do not have several months of expenses in savings should NOT buy fancy phones, go out to dinner at expensive restaurants, go on vacations, and whatnot, until they build a rainy day fund. I can't tell you how many people jet to some vacation spot, and then don't have money to repair the car the following month.

And P.S. As far as choosing who gets to live: If an 85-year-old and a 22-year-old both need a heart transplant, and there is only one available, the younger person will get it. Medical people make that decision all the time.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:44 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You replied to the wrong thread friend, the OP didn't say any such thing. Coincidentally, I am old.
Perhaps you missed this part of the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976
Finally, we get to the TRUE costs in additional deaths (beyond what we have as a society already determined is acceptable), and I'd say 10,000 - the majority of whom are elderly and have already completed 95% of their lives. That is what we truly would be paying in "additional lives lost" in order to keep from falling into a Great Depression with 30% unemployed, and the increase in disease, crime, and suicide that comes from desperation of poverty and isolation.
If you are elderly, the OP thinks you are expendable to prevent an economic downturn. And you apparently agree with her. But many people in their 60s, 70s and 80s do believe their lives have value, even you do not.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:45 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
To the left, that number is 0.
Then again, the virus is just a front for a much larger sinister agenda.
California was the first state to issue a reopening plan. Sorry if that doesn't fit your agenda.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
In the United States every single year, the flu kills between 30,000-60,000 people according to the CDC. According to CNN in the 2017-2018 season, the flu killed 80,000+ in the United States. That is a lot of deaths from the flu every single year and no shutdowns, no lockdowns, no restricting what you can and cannot purchase, no house arrest, no 24/7 media coverage, and no thumb-sucking in the corning while the lemmings cower in fear........
Maybe that should be telling you something then?!!

'This is not what it appears to be on the surface folks.

Its funny, people say this, but then start talking about the infected and death statistics related to Covid19! LOL...that is a disguise, why even discuss it anymore?

Old 04-19-2020, 09:47 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Last I read 76% of conservatives polled were in favor of social distancing measures.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Perhaps you missed this part of the OP:

If you are elderly, the OP thinks you are expendable to prevent an economic downturn. And you apparently agree with her. But many people in their 60s, 70s and 80s do believe their lives have value, even you do not.
FIRST, stop ignoring my responses to advance your own leftist and artificial view. I specifically pointed out there is a cost to lives if we DO NOT open the economy, and that those lives count too.

As far as elderly, I am in my 60s - so if you're counting me as elderly, OMG. I am talking about those in their late 80s, where most of the death is coming from.

Please stop demonizing me simply because I disagree with the liberals' idea that we have to keep the economy shut, even though maintaining this lockdown will ALSO cost lives - in terms of poverty and despair. You keep ignoring that side of the equation.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:50 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I'm not saying any of that. I was responding to a leftist who said that lives of older people aren't expendable, while ignoring the fact that younger people will lose their lives if we continue to drive them into impoverishment. She apparently was giving more value to older people than younger people.

And as far as businesses having a year's worth of overhead?? Get real. The vast majority of small businesses are small little ventures, and having a year's worth of overhead is impossible. But I do agree they should have at least two or three months' worth of overhead. (I had my own business, and I did. But I could not survive an entire year with fixed costs continuing, and no revenue.)

And as far as people, yes....we've talked about that before. (Leftists usually pounce on this.) People who do not have several months of expenses in savings should NOT buy fancy phones, go out to dinner at expensive restaurants, go on vacations, and whatnot, until they build a rainy day fund. I can't tell you how many people jet to some vacation spot, and then don't have money to repair the car the following month.

And P.S. As far as choosing who gets to live: If an 85-year-old and a 22-year-old both need a heart transplant, and there is only one available, the younger person will get it. Medical people make that decision all the time.
I misread your post. I apologize.

Medical reason for a younger person getting a transplant are a little different from the economic health of an area vs. ways to cope with a pandemic.

We have had several businesses. DH would never ahem considered a start up without a years worth of overhead.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Last I read 76% of conservatives polled were in favor of social distancing measures.
I'm in favor of that. Did I ever say not? Opening the economy does not mean throwing caution to the wind. Let's spread out tables in restaurants, seat people every other (or every third) seat in movies, and put workers in every other cubicle. We don't have to be jammed up next to each other. But neither do we have to shelter-in-place, and be forbidden, for example, of even taking a simple car ride out to the countryside. Some of these Democrat governors are downright draconian!

Old 04-19-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I misread your post. I apologize.

Medical reason for a younger person getting a transplant are a little different from the economic health of an area vs. ways to cope with a pandemic.

We have had several businesses. DH would never ahem considered a start up without a years worth of overhead.
Really? I started up my business with four months' of expenses (which took me almost two years to save up). I ran the business for 20 years, and employed five people (including myself). If I had waited for a year's worth of expenses, I would have NEVER gotten there, and I would not have helped employ people. NOW....multiply that by hundreds of thousands of small businesses.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:54 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I'm in favor of that. Did I ever say not? Opening the economy does not mean throwing caution to the wind. Let's spread out tables in restaurants, seat people every other (or every third) seat in movies, and put workers in every other cubicle. We don't have to be jammed up next to each other. But neither do we have to shelter-in-place, and be forbidden, for example, of even taking a simple car ride out to the countryside. Some of these Democrat governors are downright draconian!

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/49...age-to-economy

I agree but a good percentage of Americans don't. This ain't a right/left issue and people like you attempting to demonize individuals ain't helping.

This is an issue where reasonable people can disagree. We need less hyperbole and more sane discussion.

I'm betting the people who aint taking this serious are the same damn people coughing and sneezing in closed environments.

The number of people the people on the right in this forum have deemed expendable is quite an eye opener. Basically, smokers, diabetics, those over 70, asthmatics, etc is a lot more than 75000.

From my link:

Quote:
More than eight in 10 voters, 81 percent, say Americans “should continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus, even if it means continued damage to the economy.” Only 10 percent say Americans “should stop social distancing to stimulate the economy, even if it means increasing the spread of coronavirus.” Nine percent of voters have no opinion.

While Democrats (89 percent) are more likely than Republicans (72 percent) to say Americans should continue the “social distancing” measures, large majorities in all demographic groups say it’s more important to stop the spread of the virus than to resume economic activity that could undermine those mitigation efforts.
72% of Republicans

If you notice we have two doctors on this forum who are avid Trump supporters. I suggest you read some of their posts. This ain't a partisan issue.

Last edited by whogo; 04-19-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies