Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 04:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 958,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
From what I've seen from the videos coming out of NYC-the streets seem pretty empty, looks like plenty of parking at the curb. Now, I though NYC was "locking down" and isolating in place. I million people out running around really doesn't make it sound like that's the case.
You really should read the comments from people who live or have lived in NYC- many, many people in New York City, and other big cities, DO NOT HAVE CARS! It doesn't matter if traffic is light, or there are plenty of places to park. That's just not how many big cities function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 04:12 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No LE is writing tickets right now so it should be really safe to drive without a license or registration or insurance. I'd do that before sharing a death box with other riders.
Where do you put that car when you're not driving it? How much does that cost a month? I'll guess 500/mo. in manhattan give or take.

Personally, I'd look into a bicycle but one has to seriously wonder how many NYers (and I'm not trying to be catty here) can ride one of those either.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:18 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
You really should read the comments from people who live or have lived in NYC- many, many people in New York City, and other big cities, DO NOT HAVE CARS! It doesn't matter if traffic is light, or there are plenty of places to park. That's just not how many big cities function.
Metro North railroads work well. I work in NYC Monday-Friday, many years now.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:30 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
A valid point, something to keep in mind when people are discussing how other parts of the country are dealing with the situation.

For every post I read from people not understanding how NYC works....I see many more that miss the boat on rural living completely. Same goes for a variety of incomes, professions, state revenue sources, demographics etc. etc. etc.

One size does not fit all for this problem.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:14 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
You know what's odd? People in major urban areas are trying to dictate to rural states and counties when and how they should open up for business. It's like they thing that the situation in a crowded, dirty urban area is the same in a small town, where people walk, ride a bike or drive their own vehicle instead of being crammed onto a dirty bus or subway with dozens of other people. They insult those states and individuals that consider going back to work, calling them stupid, and worse. The very people that are demanding that people in other states destroy their economy and destroy people's small businesses are the very ones that don't want to be inconvenienced by shutting down mass transit.

As I already said repeatedly, I think it would make the most sense for employers to provide a van-pool service (or even busses) but limited to their employees-people that work together and are already exposed to each other every day anyway. But instead, the mayor insists on people riding on crowded subways with random strangers, with no controls to keep infected people off the routes. The positive side is that antibody testing will likely show a large percentage of people in NYC have already been exposed and have some degree of immunity.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:23 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Already addressed that. I don't buy that New Yorkers are that much less capable than the rest of the nation... Like I said, if the work somewhere truly essential, their employer can provide a van pool. Or employees can walk or ride a bike. Isn't it worth a little inconvenience to save lives?

Concerning the cost of parking-at such a time, can't essential employers, or perhaps even the city, pay for, or offer free parking?
Are you aware nyc isn’t just manhattan? Commuters go all over place outside manhattan and the suburbs outside nyc

Free parking isn’t really a thing here in nyc except Sunday. It’s typically $30 to $70 a day to park in manhattan. Sure a doctor can probably afford it. The half dozen admins supporting the same doc in the hospital probably can’t afford it

Old 04-19-2020, 07:27 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Are you aware nyc isn’t just manhattan? Commuters go all over place outside manhattan and the suburbs outside nyc

Free parking isn’t really a thing here in nyc except Sunday. It’s typically $30 to $70 a day to park in manhattan. Sure a doctor can probably afford it. The half dozen admins supporting the same doc in the hospital probably can’t afford it
You apparently missed this part:

Quote:
Concerning the cost of parking-at such a time, can't essential employers, or perhaps even the city, pay for, or offer free parking?
And are you aware that it isn't me calling on Cuomo to shut it down-it is city council members-which you'd know if you read the linked article.

Quote:
Gov. Cuomo should temporarily shut down the NYC subways to help slam the brakes on the coronavirus outbreak, urge four City Council members.

“We believe that drastic measures must be taken to stop the spread of COVID-19 in our transit system,” the lawmakers — Robert Holden, Eric Ulrich, Mark Gonaj and Peter Koo — say in a letter to Cuomo.

With MTA workers still lacking protective gear, trains packed with passengers due to reduced service, and homeless people camping in the cars, the subways are fueling the crisis, the councilmen say.

”MTA employees are going to work every day with woefully inadequate personal protective equipment (PPE). They are given one mask and one pair of gloves for an entire week while continuing to work among the filth of the subway,” the letter says, citing complaints by TWU Local 100 members.

“As a result, MTA workers are dying at a faster rate than any other front-line workers.”

Old 04-19-2020, 08:36 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
And what do all the essential workers without cars do?
they can bike to work. there are citibikes and plenty of bike lanes and less cars on the road. Diblasio made creating bike lanes a priority. also uber/lyft are still running.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:52 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
If the hospitals are handling the load ok, then they should not cancel the subways. They should let this play out with a view towards establishing herd immunity. It sounds like they are probably not that faroff. The sooner they can get there, the sooner they can end this there.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The rail lines only cover portions of the city and of course where you live and where you would be working would need to be close to both.

What does a nurse working at Elmhurst Hospital due? Or NY Presbyterian which is nowhere near a rail line?
The subway is right on the corner on broadway in front NY Presbyterian hospital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies