Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 09:17 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2020/04/19/the-co...f-us-colleges/(Some of America’s most beautiful spaces, our university campuses, are closed and empty these days. Schools have canceled their spring semesters and commencements because of COVID-19; classrooms, dormitories and athletic facilities are shuttered.

Some institutions tell students that they can continue to access instruction online. But exams and grades have been canceled in many cases. One suspects online viewership will be sporadic, concentration light.)My OP some of these collage campus are very scary when it comes to free speech or due process issues!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 09:25 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
This might not be a bad thing.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:27 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times

Old 04-20-2020, 09:28 AM

11,262 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
One silver lining to this entire nightmare is the ability to see a much more efficient way to run the education system. There simply is no need to have such an expansive physical footprint everywhere, when most of this can be done remotely. I mean think about it. Is forcing people to drive back and forth to school, destroying the planet to build more schools and paying to heat & cool these schools good for the environment? Hell No! Time to get with the times and go remote. The social aspect can be taken care of by the families themselves.
The left will tell you that on-line colleges are fake diploma mills. There is no substitute for a ranting and raving leftist professor controlling the free flow of their propaganda in a brick and mortar classroom setting.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:38 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Some of America’s most beautiful spaces, our university campuses, are closed and empty these days.
Here's a new word for your vocabulary: "Short-term."

Quote:
Schools have canceled their spring semesters and commencements because of COVID-19; classrooms, dormitories and athletic facilities are shuttered.
I'm not aware of any university that cancelled the semester.

You'll have to provide a list.

Quote:
Some institutions tell students that they can continue to access instruction online. But exams and grades have been canceled in many cases.
I'm not aware of any university that has cancelled exams or grades.

I'm currently enrolled, because I require continuing education to maintain my licenses.

Not one single class was cancelled. They were all transferred online to Blackboard and became self-paced or podcasts.

No exams were cancelled.

Students were offered the option of applying for Pass/Fail in lieu of a grade, but for many students that is not an option, since they need the points for GPA and if it happens to be a core class, Pass/Fail is not going to impress your future potential employers.

Try a little reality once in a while. It's good for you.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:49 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,524 times
The only reasons for a brick and mortar educational facility these days are testing and labs. Like so much of the rest of modern life everything else is best done online.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:17 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
The only reasons for a brick and mortar educational facility these days are testing and labs. Like so much of the rest of modern life everything else is best done online.
From what I've heard, student 'attrition' is significantly higher for online courses vs physical.

So while online courses have their place, they likely won't completely replace physical presence anytime soon.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:53 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Here's a new word for your vocabulary: "Short-term."

I'm not aware of any university that cancelled the semester.

I'm not aware of any university that has cancelled exams or grades.

I'm currently enrolled, because I require continuing education to maintain my licenses.

Not one single class was cancelled. They were all transferred online to Blackboard and became self-paced or podcasts.

No exams were cancelled.

Students were offered the option of applying for Pass/Fail in lieu of a grade, but for many students that is not an option, since they need the points for GPA and if it happens to be a core class, Pass/Fail is not going to impress your future potential employers.

Try a little reality once in a while. It's good for you.
Most schools that have the capability to transition students to an online platform have. Since schools are closed and many health systems have restricted students, many students aren't currently able to do practicums, clinicals, immersion hours, or student teaching. However, schools have been working with state governors, DOE and Boards of Nursing to come up with alternative solutions whether they be virtual alternatives or allowing students to push out completion of things like clinical hours and student teaching requirements to a later date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies