Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It doesn't matter anyway. The Pledge is rarely even said anymore. Even though it has been around for 115 years, today it seems to offend about 10 people. So for the rest of us 303 million people in America we are not allowed to say it any longer.
It offends tens of millions of people. Just ask them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The original salute was to begin with the right hand placed over the heart, and then on the words "to my Flag", to extend the hand outward and upward toward the flag for the rest of the recitation. This was exactly the Nazi salute. Hence the US salute was modified during the 1930's. It's still a little unnerving to see photos of US students reciting the pledge using that salute in the teens and 1920's...
That is interesting, I did not know that. I do know that was a very common salute for many nations though. And the swastika is a Hindu symbol of optimism. Crazy how things change.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
That is interesting, I did not know that. I do know that was a very common salute for many nations though. And the swastika is a Hindu symbol of optimism. Crazy how things change.
Ack!!! There's gotta be a better way!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
...as part of the huge national celebration of the 400th Anniversary of Columbus Day. We didn't really do so much for the 500th anniversary...

Original Pledge: I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The original salute was to begin with the right hand placed over the heart, and then on the words "to my Flag", to extend the hand outward and upward toward the flag for the rest of the recitation. This was exactly the Nazi salute. Hence the US salute was modified during the 1930's. It's still a little unnerving to see photos of US students reciting the pledge using that salute in the teens and 1920's...
I stand corrected on the columbus day, they changed the pledge during a Flag day conference to say to "the flag of the United States of America."

The Pledge of Allegiance - A Short History full story

Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
It offends tens of millions of people. Just ask them...
I did ask them. They were all heard loud and clear. It offends so few I can count them on 2 hands.

But I do know one thing. That unpatriotic comment from you tells us you are one of those who think Merry Christmas is a dirty word. Do you know what you can do with that Happy Holiday crap? THAT offends me deeply and I dont even believe in the business of organized religion hocus pocus. But it dont matter anymore. Im just a poor old fasioned American born and raised here. Damn me. I lost many of my rights.

But dont feel sorry for me. I will just spend the rest of my life picking and choosing, carefully hesitating before speaking and looking all around me before I speak. I would not want to offend anyone.

(yea and I just hit the pick 6 lotto 10 consecutive nights in a row too)

Old 04-25-2008, 09:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
People in this country are offended way too easily. So what if the pledge says "under God" or somebody wishes you a "Merry Christmas." If you are athiest and you don't believe anyways, why do you feel so threatened by such subtle things?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
People in this country are offended way too easily. So what if the pledge says "under God" or somebody wishes you a "Merry Christmas." If you are athiest and you don't believe anyways, why do you feel so threatened by such subtle things?

Exactly !!

And if it offended no one for the past hundred years, why does it now? What changed? Do they feel power that their Govt will make changes just for them?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Exactly !!

And if it offended no one for the past hundred years, why does it now? What changed? Do they feel power that their Govt will make changes just for them?

there is no compulsion to say the pledge or not say the pledge, be an AMerican, make a free choice

Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Why do you think an atheist would feel "
threatened" by any of that?

I don't feel threatened by the Pledge or "under god"...I just think it's stupid plus not all Americans believe in god.

WHY do you have to "pledge your allegiance"....if you're a citizen you're a citizen?

Why are you so scared that "under god" isn't there....afraid that will make you lose your faith ????

Reminds me of the idiots boycotting the new coins which have the "In god We Trust " removed... Please send them to me! In all the years I've handled these coins I've never felt the need to believe in god but they seem to be terrified that using these coins will make them lose their religion?!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:24 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
My problem is that the pledge has no meaning. We're groomed to say it as children but not really given a reason why other than because we're American. It wasn't until I was in middle school where I stopped to think of WHAT I was saying rather than just say it. The way it's taught, it's just a string of words with nothing behind it. It was in middle school that I decided to not say it. I take pledges deadly seriously and to be indoctrinated into pledging to something- no matter what it is- without fully understanding the ramification of your words is wrong to me. There are other ways I show my patriotism but the pledge means nothing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies