Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 07:28 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
How many people have been stopped, detained, harassed and/or fined because they went for a pleasure ride in their car?
The fact that they CAN do it should be enough. So you accept illegal and Unconstitutional acts by government? You're OK with the Patriot Act also I assume just because, well, how many people's rights have been trampled by that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 07:31 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Agree. And does a governor really have the right to institute these laws? !
I think that is a valid question, since the Constitution protects the right to free assembly. I have been practicing social distancing, but I consider it voluntary, just me doing my patriotic duty to help in the effort to defeat the enemy.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:12 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Missing the point entirely. There is NO reason that anyone should be stopped in this situation. NONE.
These are the times we are living in right now. It's a small price to pay.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
He needs to come out with a May 1st reopening recommendation and not this phased crap.
Meanwhile there are reports that people in a restaurant in China got the virus through the air handling system. We really don't know that much about Covid at this point. That's why we need to be careful. If people would socially distance and wear face masks, it sure would make it a lot easier. I bet a lot of people won't be going to these tattoo parlors and gyms and restaurants even when they open up. I've asked several people about that, and they said they're not going.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They are unlawfully detaining people without probable cause other than they may be driving for non essential reasons. Plus, as you say they can FINE you.
Who is going to be fined? You're on your way to grocery store or doctor or pharmacy. Simple.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, because I took a drive 30 minutes from my house. The cop would see on my driver’s license that I was half hour away from home, which is a densely populated area with 3 big grocery stores, within a 5 minute area, and KNOW that I was lying. (Does this sound crazy? Yes. And that’s because it IS.)

And the point is, why would I have to lie? Why has the Democrat governor instituted such draconian restrictions that we have to lie about taking a drive, alone in one’s car?
So you were going to help out an elderly relative in that case. Really, it's just not that hard. And they talk about us old folks hiding under our beds, lol.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:33 AM

35,689 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
These are the times we are living in right now. It's a small price to pay.

It is true. the government is helping most to get by.
There are those rather die than to give an inch especially for the benefit of another. Yes, we are bleeding money- but so is everyone on the planet. Some get food money day to day, selling mangoes or tortillas. It is much worse for many, why people scratch their heads about people complaining that they can't take a walk in the park or drive to the beach. And these very people could be the ones that causes the virus to spread even more,,,making more people not able to return to work or even die. Other nations are appalled at seeing how the protesters disregarded any use of PPE or distancing. Pride cometh before the fall.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:24 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There's your slippery slope. Instead of dealing with people that are actually DOING something, the almighty government has to act as the thought police, and fine people for what they MIGHT do. While padding their coffers in the process, I might add.
The reason for the fine is the Barton Hospital only has 9 ICU beds, they do not have the capacity if the disease spreads. No good options for an outbreak, people should not be driving around without an important reason.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:40 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Who said you can't have two people in the same car?

I imagine the grocery store is taking multiple steps to reduce the density of people in the store, thus reducing the probability of virus transmission. One step is to limit the number of people who may be there at any given time. Mandating solo shoppers only allows more shoppers to use the store at any given time by keeping out "bystanders" like your husband. It has nothing to do with you and your husband social distancing from each other.
You haven't read about the Single Moms shopping with their young children? Keep your 4 year old alone at home, or in your car alone?

Edit: My husband has Parkinson's and uses the cart as his Walker, zooming down the aisles buying what he wants. I take my own cart and do the ESSENTIAL shopping for the week. So what if we count as "two" shoppers?

Last edited by Jo48; 04-22-2020 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-22-2020, 03:57 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
We drove 45 miles intrastate to an Omaha Steaks store. Horrible experience, but also went to a BJ's to find a Restroom for the drive back. On PA Highway we saw signs saying, "NYC Residents coming here quarantine for 14 days". To the OPPOSITE side.....

Husband went last week across PA border with another ELDERLY FRIEND in the car to NJ to buy liquor. They are going again tomorrow. As both have said, more so for SOCIALIZATION than actually buying liquor.

Saturday husband and I are driving to NY to go to LI East End Native Reservation to buy cigarettes; $20/carton with $1.49 gas. Guess we need to quarantine in our own PA HOME? While I our Gen X daughter and DIL don't want us to visit out of FEAR, our Millennial daughter and SIL are fine with us coming to visit on the way. HIS parents don't want to see them. "I will be very happy for my In-Laws coming to see us and their Grandsons".

We are both 71. My husband has had two heart attacks going Code Blue 4 times and now has a Pacemaker. I haven't had or seen a Doctor since giving birth in 1984. IMPOSSIBLE!!! Protect we vulnerable at risk Seniors!!!!

Me personally? I would rather be DEAD tomorrow than have to live my remaining years on this planet like THIS.

STOP US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies