Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 07:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Only thing I can find that talks about 10,000 jobs because of economic downturn was from 2014.

This isn't the same at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 07:51 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
a lot of lives being saved by transportation restrictions.
This past month was the first in years where there was no school shooting.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:05 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
A conflicting study says that death rate actually decreases during recessions.

A really bad recession could be great for your health

Old 04-21-2020, 08:07 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Due to alcoholism, depression and suicide. So do the math so far we’ve lost 22,000,000 jobs during this shutdown which will equate to 220,000 people dying. Think about it quarter of million people will die and the left could care less. As long as they can bring President Trump down by crashing the economy and if people die in the process so be it!

just shows you how evil the left really is!

"The left"?

Old 04-21-2020, 08:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
A conflicting study says that death rate actually decreases during recessions.

A really bad recession could be great for your health
I dont know about recessions, but overall mortality is down 20% during the lock-down, which is for the obvious reasons (less car accidents, etc).

Old 04-21-2020, 08:15 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I dont know about recessions, but overall mortality is down 20% during the lock-down, which is for the obvious reasons (less car accidents, etc).
This is also true of recessions:

Impact of Recessions

Quote:
Christopher Ruhm, an economist at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, has a few theories as to why mortality rates drop during a recession. There are fewer job-related accidents, and people drive less to work, which improves overall air quality. People also have less money to spend on alcohol and cigarettes, as well as more time for sleep and recreation.
Ref.: https://fortune.com/2019/01/25/econo...rtality-rates/

Thread fail.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:22 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If people on the Right are so unhinged that they can not take a little staying at home without them wanting to take a bridge, that has nothing to do with the "evil left" and everything to do with their own mental instability.

Not sure how you come up with your theories, but they sure are strange.

It's not "a little staying at home" that people are having problems with.

It's losing their jobs and businesses.

It's not being able to pay the rent or their mortgage.

It's not being able to feed their families.

It's their marriages suffering.

It's not going to the doctor for things that they should.

It's the increase in domestic abuse.

You know, all the things that the Left used to supposedly care about before their entire world revolved around a virus with less than a 1% mortality rate.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:32 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If people on the Right are so unhinged that they can not take a little staying at home without them wanting to take a bridge, that has nothing to do with the "evil left" and everything to do with their own mental instability.

Not sure how you come up with your theories, but they sure are strange.
Kind of depressing that people on the left care so little about the lives of their fellow Americans.

Well, not really depressing-to be impacted, I'd have to place some value on their opinions. But sad, none the less. Interesting though that you seem to think that only those on the right are impacted by job losses. Are you implying that no one on the left actually works for a living?

Old 04-21-2020, 09:36 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's not "a little staying at home" that people are having problems with.

It's losing their jobs and businesses.

It's not being able to pay the rent or their mortgage.

It's not being able to feed their families.

It's their marriages suffering.

It's not going to the doctor for things that they should.

It's the increase in domestic abuse.

You know, all the things that the Left used to supposedly care about before their entire world revolved around a virus with less than a 1% mortality rate.
So, let me ask you this, FB, which is better ? Suffer some temporary financial hardships, or death ?

This ain't no game, bud, this is real life. No one asked for a Pandemic to hit the world, but we just have to accept that if we go out close to other people WE ARE RISKING OUR LIFE AND THEIR LIFE. The ONLY way to stay safe is to stay at home, and if we start loosening the restrictions, there will be an immediate spike in infections and DEATHS.

So, take your pick, tightening our belts a little, or DYING an agonizing death , where you literally suffocate ?

Old 04-21-2020, 09:42 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Kind of depressing that people on the left care so little about the lives of their fellow Americans.

Well, not really depressing-to be impacted, I'd have to place some value on their opinions. But sad, none the less. Interesting though that you seem to think that only those on the right are impacted by job losses. Are you implying that no one on the left actually works for a living?
I am one of those impacted by leaving my job, so you do not have a leg to stand on there. But I choose to protect my health and the health of my loved ones, rather than go to a job where I interact with the public every working hour of every day. I have been off for 5 weeks, so it looks like I am uninfected, and I intend on staying that way, regardless of the personal sacrifices I have to make to do it. I never knew who the next customer I helped might be the one who was carrying this virus...…….there is no blinking light on them to warn you.

I have had to curtail some of my spending, and prepare for the long haul of God knows how long we will be impacted, but I would rather do this than harm myself or someone else. It is called social responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies