Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:53 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times

Advertisements

I've never been asked at an interview if I have children. I did go on an interview one time when I was 28 weeks pregnant. I was not showing at all yet and they could not tell I was pregnant. At the end of the interview they offered me the job, then I told them I was pregnant and they recanted on the offer. I wasn't upset though, I completely understood.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:00 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I've never been asked at an interview if I have children. I did go on an interview one time when I was 28 weeks pregnant. I was not showing at all yet and they could not tell I was pregnant. At the end of the interview they offered me the job, then I told them I was pregnant and they recanted on the offer. I wasn't upset though, I completely understood.
It's nice that you understood, but unless you were incapable of doing the job due to your pregnancy, the offer should not have been recanted. If a woman NEEDED the job to survive that would be devastating.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:07 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
It's nice that you understood, but unless you were incapable of doing the job due to your pregnancy, the offer should not have been recanted. If a woman NEEDED the job to survive that would be devastating.
I probably should have elaborated a little more. The interview was at an accounting firm just two months before tax season. So if they hired me, I would go on maternity leave right at the beginning of the busiest time of the year for accountants.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Uh, Y O U said it puts extra work on employees....what a bizarre memory you have.......

Yes, they all should get the same amount of personal time off...and if anyone abuses that then that individual should be dealt with....it has been posted a couple of times .......

I am a glutton for punishment to remain in this dialogue...

Re the extra work on employees....Let's focus now..... If a woman leaves 30 minutes early every few days because of the babysitter, or is late from lunch by 20 minutes a few times a week because she had to pick up a prescription, or asks a fellow worker to finish a project because she just has to take little Snotleigh to soccer practice....THIS IS THE BEHAVIOR I'M REFERRING TO. Using their kids to have others in the office take up their slack. It happens a lot. The rest of the people in the office use their personal time off as it should be. The martyr mommies sneak hours off the clock every week at others expense...as if their time is not important. It's crappy behavior and I don't tolerate it anymore. If I ever have a business again I will never hire a woman that even might fall into this category.

YES I KNOW THIS IS A GENERALIZATION. It is a generalization because it generally does happen with working moms of small kids. NOT EVERY MOTHER OF YOUNG KIDS. Still the odds put me off. That is why I tended not to hire women that either were or probably would become mothers of small kids.

Once you hire someone it is VERY hard to fire them. They can start being late, going home early, playing the Mommy card for sympathy and ruining morale in the office...but once they are hired it is a nightmare to get rid of them. That is why so many employers try to figure out a womans situation before hiring her. They don't want to go through this kind of nightmare. And believe me you don't have to ask outright in the interview. If you leave a few moments of silence they usually launch into all their personal information, including how many hours of labor they were in with number 3. Sorry for sounding rude, I just know the type and they do turn out to be nightmare employees.

If you haven't owned or ran your own business you really wouldn't understand how hard it is to fire even the most irresponsible employee.

Look, I know it sounds unfair...but honestly I know why employers do this and it is not because thery hate little kids or are secretly misogynists. They just want to avoid this problem and it is a real problem. No amount of legislating will change the way employers view this behavior.

My advice to women with little kids that are angry and offended at me and other employers that don't want to hire you....If they don't ask about your personal life in the interview don't volunteer info. Keep it professional and keep bringing the conversation back to your work skills, abilities and past employment. Then if you get the job, share personal info with people you become friendly with but don't think anyone cares you have to leave early to do something child related. Use personal time/vacation/sick time for this stuff. You will have no problems. Of course there are emergencies....everyone has them and co-workers will gladly help...just don't play that mommy-martyr card. People will get sick of it very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies