Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 09:51 AM

7,243 posts, read 4,563,189 times

Advertisements

I just feel like the whole Coronavirus thing has been handled badly from the start. As for who to blame, it has to be the medical providers... who really should have known better. Any politician would have to take what they recommended.

The Mask Issue

The medical authorities told us not to wear masks. But it seems clear now they were completely wrong about that. Had each one of us had a proper mask to wear -- and used it early on - cases would have been less. Additionally, I think with masks. gloves, and proper distancing procedures... it could have allowed most of the economy to continue.

Public Transportation

How is this still a thing? This should have been shuttered in February. In a world where the entire country is being told to stay home I cannot see what emergency requires public transport to continue on. Taxi cabs already have a glass partition.

The Decision to only test symptomatic patients.

Why? Just why? Assuming it was a cost issue, think of the cost from the stimulus. Safe testing spots should have been set up from the start.

The Extreme and Unnecessary - keep everyone home (except for shopping)

Of all the solutions this one seemed silly and ill thought out. Pure panic and not knowing what to do. If we were all home without going out, sure, but people are still moving about -- 60% as much as before. Going to the store, going to the pharmacy, walking around town... That isn't how a "lock down" works.

Medical Providers getting sick

Every single movie I have ever watched about an "outbreak" the medical providers are always donned up in these super sealed off suits -- where were those? Why instead did I see medical providers with fabric gloves and cheap masks? Why weren't they donned head to toe in hazmat suits? I mean don't they have them?

I am actually pretty proud of the things regular people have come up with. In the supermarket the signs to tell you were 6 feet from the next person was.... the early morning hours for the elderly, the directions on how to make a cloth mask. But wow... this really makes me doubt in the intelligence and common sense of everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 09:59 AM

15,876 posts, read 6,577,232 times
Hindsight is 20:20. Getting things right when your information is limited or potentially false is very difficult. Mistakes were made and will continue to be made. All people can do is their best given the circumstances. Being an arse probably isn't doing your best.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Hindsight is 20:20. Getting things right when your information is limited or potentially false is very difficult. Mistakes were made and will continue to be made. All people can do is their best given the circumstances. Being an arse probably isn't doing your best.
Come on isn't that what medical people do all day long? Isn't that what government is supposed to do all day long? Be prepared? Have contingency plans?

It also doesn't make sense that the medical people do not seem to have the proper gear.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:15 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,518,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
This is a reasonable response. A rarity these days.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:19 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,295,333 times
The entire world was not prepared for this type of pandemic. No one alive (except if you're 102 or older) has seen this type of virus where it's still difficult to nail it down medically. Easy to be an armchair quarterback and say how poor a job is being done. It's not just those in charge that are making this process difficult, it's the people who decide to follow or not follow guidelines that push the envelope.

To me everyone is at fault, and no one is to blame.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:28 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,907,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Come on isn't that what medical people do all day long? Isn't that what government is supposed to do all day long? Be prepared? Have contingency plans?

It also doesn't make sense that the medical people do not seem to have the proper gear.
Being prepared is correct, however if medical people don’t have the needed enough PPE to cover the large demand for their services and the government isn’t or can’t provide the needed PPE because they are incompetent for several reasons then nothing but what you see and hear now is what happens. There was no plan in place for this and NO LEADERSHIP with running the country.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
NO LEADERSHIP with running the country.
No. Leadership looked at the medical people and this is what they recommended. Even if they wanted to tell them they were full of it they would have to trust the medical people knew what they were doing and were prepared. Apparently not.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:38 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,805,185 times
We need to let Herd Immunity deal with this. A few more deaths right now, but in the long run less. Gotta let the antibodies build up in society naturally.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:51 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,231,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I just feel like the whole Coronavirus thing has been handled badly from the start. As for who to blame, it has to be the medical providers... who really should have known better. Any politician would have to take what they recommended.

The Mask Issue

The medical authorities told us not to wear masks. But it seems clear now they were completely wrong about that. Had each one of us had a proper mask to wear -- and used it early on - cases would have been less. Additionally, I think with masks. gloves, and proper distancing procedures... it could have allowed most of the economy to continue.

Public Transportation

How is this still a thing? This should have been shuttered in February. In a world where the entire country is being told to stay home I cannot see what emergency requires public transport to continue on. Taxi cabs already have a glass partition.

The Decision to only test symptomatic patients.

Why? Just why? Assuming it was a cost issue, think of the cost from the stimulus. Safe testing spots should have been set up from the start.

The Extreme and Unnecessary - keep everyone home (except for shopping)

Of all the solutions this one seemed silly and ill thought out. Pure panic and not knowing what to do. If we were all home without going out, sure, but people are still moving about -- 60% as much as before. Going to the store, going to the pharmacy, walking around town... That isn't how a "lock down" works.

Medical Providers getting sick

Every single movie I have ever watched about an "outbreak" the medical providers are always donned up in these super sealed off suits -- where were those? Why instead did I see medical providers with fabric gloves and cheap masks? Why weren't they donned head to toe in hazmat suits? I mean don't they have them?

I am actually pretty proud of the things regular people have come up with. In the supermarket the signs to tell you were 6 feet from the next person was.... the early morning hours for the elderly, the directions on how to make a cloth mask. But wow... this really makes me doubt in the intelligence and common sense of everyone involved.
The mask issue
Yes the CDC said not to wear masks but it was because we didn't have enough to supply hospital workers and they didn't want people hording masks that were needed for frontline workers.

Public transportation
Hospital workers need to get to work, in large cities they use public transportation.

Decision to test only symptomatic people
That would be because we are still having supply issues all over the country. States are still reporting the inability to get swabs and reagents to run tests.

The lockdown
People still need to eat. Unless the government plans on sending deliveries of food to every household people will need to go to the grocery store. The big problem I see is no enforcement, people are still going out just as much as normal in my area. Without enforcement you aren't going to keep people in their homes.

Medical providers getting sick
Most hospitals don't have enough masks and gowns, I'm pretty sure they don't have full hazmat suits for all employees. This is real life, not a movie. Hospitals are not going to have full biocontainment suits for their staff when an event that would call for that are very unlikely.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:53 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,231,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
We need to let Herd Immunity deal with this. A few more deaths right now, but in the long run less. Gotta let the antibodies build up in society naturally.
We don't even know if there is any long term immunity. It could be a week, a month, a year, but we simply don't know at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies