Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 05:11 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/qu...ies-2020-04-21

Quest Diagnostics can test for antibodies now...expect to be able to test 70,000.

It is over libs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 05:12 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I just feel like the whole Coronavirus thing has been handled badly from the start. As for who to blame, it has to be the medical providers... who really should have known better. Any politician would have to take what they recommended.

The Mask Issue

The medical authorities told us not to wear masks. But it seems clear now they were completely wrong about that. Had each one of us had a proper mask to wear -- and used it early on - cases would have been less. Additionally, I think with masks. gloves, and proper distancing procedures... it could have allowed most of the economy to continue.
There weren't enough masks. Not even for medical providers. Telling everyone to go out and buy them would have made this worse. Also, people are already not wearing masks or using proper distancing... that wouldn't have been any different on day 1.

Quote:
Public Transportation

How is this still a thing? This should have been shuttered in February. In a world where the entire country is being told to stay home I cannot see what emergency requires public transport to continue on. Taxi cabs already have a glass partition.
How do you expect the people making minimum wage who staff your grocery stores to get to work?

Quote:
The Decision to only test symptomatic patients.

Why? Just why? Assuming it was a cost issue, think of the cost from the stimulus. Safe testing spots should have been set up from the start.
There weren't, and still aren't, enough tests. The lack of supplies, including PPE and tests, has been highly-publicized, so I'm not sure why you don't understand these shortages.

Quote:
The Extreme and Unnecessary - keep everyone home (except for shopping)

Of all the solutions this one seemed silly and ill thought out. Pure panic and not knowing what to do. If we were all home without going out, sure, but people are still moving about -- 60% as much as before. Going to the store, going to the pharmacy, walking around town... That isn't how a "lock down" works.
What's your idea of a solution? People stay inside and go Donner Party on their family members because they can't go out to buy food or medicine?

Quote:
Medical Providers getting sick

Every single movie I have ever watched about an "outbreak" the medical providers are always donned up in these super sealed off suits -- where were those? Why instead did I see medical providers with fabric gloves and cheap masks? Why weren't they donned head to toe in hazmat suits? I mean don't they have them?
See above. Where were these Level-A suits going to come from? PPE doesn't grow on trees or materialize out of thin air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
We need to let Herd Immunity deal with this. A few more deaths right now, but in the long run less. Gotta let the antibodies build up in society naturally.
So you volunteer yourself and your family members, right? I mean, you wouldn't be one of those people who's happy to suggest other people should die, right? That type rarely wants to put their money where their mouth is... it's fine to say "eh, let a few die" but if they were told it would be them or their grandma or their kid, they start backpedaling pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I’ve been poor but I’ve always managed to have a vehicle.
How lucky for you.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:27 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
I just feel like the whole Coronavirus thing has been handled badly from the start. As for who to blame, it has to be the medical providers... who really should have known better. Any politician would have to take what they recommended.

The Mask Issue
The medical authorities told us not to wear masks. But it seems clear now they were completely wrong about that. Had each one of us had a proper mask to wear -- and used it early on - cases would have been less. Additionally, I think with masks. gloves, and proper distancing procedures... it could have allowed most of the economy to continue.

Public Transportation
How is this still a thing? This should have been shuttered in February. In a world where the entire country is being told to stay home I cannot see what emergency requires public transport to continue on. Taxi cabs already have a glass partition.

The Decision to only test symptomatic patients.
Why? Just why? Assuming it was a cost issue, think of the cost from the stimulus. Safe testing spots should have been set up from the start.

The Extreme and Unnecessary - keep everyone home (except for shopping)
Of all the solutions this one seemed silly and ill thought out. Pure panic and not knowing what to do. If we were all home without going out, sure, but people are still moving about -- 60% as much as before. Going to the store, going to the pharmacy, walking around town... That isn't how a "lock down" works.

Medical Providers getting sick
Every single movie I have ever watched about an "outbreak" the medical providers are always donned up in these super sealed off suits -- where were those? Why instead did I see medical providers with fabric gloves and cheap masks? Why weren't they donned head to toe in hazmat suits? I mean don't they have them?

I am actually pretty proud of the things regular people have come up with. In the supermarket the signs to tell you were 6 feet from the next person was.... the early morning hours for the elderly, the directions on how to make a cloth mask. But wow... this really makes me doubt in the intelligence and common sense of everyone involved.

I agree that Trump handled it badly from the start, but, also:

It's not a matter of having "a mask." Masks are disposable. People would need maybe 100 masks each.

Not all taxis have partitions.

People who are still working - like nurses - do need public transportation. Some cities, like NYC, are very spread out, and taxis aren't feasible.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:35 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
OK, I've read it, I've listened to it, and no, I don't see anything that would prove your words, sorry to say.

When the production of the necessary equipment is moved to a different country, it doesn't matter how much money or manpower you have for the moment being; you can't change this course in a matter of couple of months, and to start producing the necessary equipment in your own country.

And so of course you would start running short on PPE ( needed by doctors first of all,) and same on masks that would help to fight the spread of the disease among the general population.
We moved the production to another country - great point !
Do you know what government cheese is ?
There used to be stockpiles that at some point they started giving to refugees and I guess food stamps recipients because of exp dates. It was great cheese but they had it. There are caves full of stuff or used to be - there are warehouses the govt owns or rents - with all kinds of shyte. Trust me - if they would have paid attention even to the last dry run - 2019 the crimson contagion - they would have been much better prepared.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Pretty sure my whole family has already had it back in Jan.
Most people who think they had/have it didn't/don't.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Pretty sure my whole family has already had it back in Jan.
No offense, but I'm not going to believe that without something more definite than "pretty sure."

Old 04-22-2020, 06:53 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:

Quest Diagnostics can test for antibodies now...expect to be able to test 70,000.

It is over libs...
That's great, but we still don't know if there is any immunity once you have had it, nor do we know how long that immunity will last. It could be a one and done deal, or immunity could last a couple of weeks or a couple of months.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:36 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Riddle me this Batman, which Coronavirus (There are several) has heard immunity stopped? It’s an important question as most of us are adults so like have Coronavirus common cold strain exposure and no immunity to it.

So many heard immunity experts all of a Sudden. .

You know heard immunity has also failed in the past, it’s not perfect (why we have vaccines). Think of any virus that people regularly get and can get annually. You think long enough and you have a huge list. It would also mean heard immunity did not work for any of them.

Heard immunity is hit or miss and depends on many factors that don’t seem to apply to Coronavirus type viruses.
Um...."herd"

Old 04-22-2020, 09:41 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:

It is over libs...
70k?? what small town is that? and I hear it takes a few days to get results as they send off for it, and after you get a script from your Dr first... how long before that Dr see you??
LAbcorp is also testing... same procedures

Old 04-22-2020, 09:44 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:

This is my favorite post of the entire pandemic.

Experts, schmexperts, Arya Stark from the Internet has the real hot take!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies