Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:42 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times

Advertisements

Food growers/suppliers destroying their food because restaurants, schools etc. closing... but are people eating less?

We're hearing more and more reports about how dairy farmers are pouring milk down the drain, hog farmers are slaughtering/burying their herds because their normal buyer are closing etc. They point out that the usual restaurants, school districts etc. are closing and not buying their food any more.

But are people actually eating less?

No. The need for food hasn't changed. They're just eating at home instead of in restaurants, or their kids getting lunch at schools etc.

Could we be looking at a sudden lack of food in the next few months (or longer) due to producers not producing?

And/or, could it be a result of the huge nationwide hoarding we've seen in the last few months? Now people eating just as much, but are using the food they have in the freezer or on the shelves, instead of going out and buying more every few days? Maybe most of the people with basements full of food, after buying hugely a month or two ago, now are buying very little this month and the next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 12:45 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
The problem is that we still need that food -- but those supply chains aren't set up to get it and there doesn't seem to be a will with those farmers to find out how to change their systems.

The dairy farmers dumping milk are the ones who make the pats of butter for restaurants. They didn't bother to see how they could change what they do to avoid doing that.

There is nothing to indicate people are eating more or less. People are eating differently.

All the breakouts of COVID-19 in the beef/pork production plants will see us having a decline and a price increase.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:51 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Probably a lot more food is wasted in the restaurant industry then if that food is bought and used at homes.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:53 PM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times
For milk, I believe it is a packaging/processing issue. The processing facilities are configured to produce a certain amount of large containers (for institutional cafeterias) and tiny cartons for schools. Neither of which are in much demand right now, but neither of those can be instantly converted to bottle gallon and half-gallon jugs instead. I assume they are looking at whether the production lines can be retrofitted at a reasonable cost to meet the shift in demand.

https://kiwaradio.com/local-news/why...-are-not-full/

Old 04-21-2020, 01:00 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Agree, it's more of a distribution problem than a consumption problem. The economy takes a while to shift its transportation links.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:02 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,086 times
My understanding is that many farmers sell their produce to distributors. Some distributors package and sell those products to grocery stores (in this case, those farmers are getting their products to market). But other distributors package for larger institutions and restaurants (these products aren't getting to that market because it's shut down for the most part). The packaging is different.

The later packages 100 egg containers, milk in huge 15 gallon bags, etc. Stores are not set up to sell that kind of thing and would most people be willing to buy those things? By the time you retool the packaging for the consumer market, this whole thing might be over and then you'd have a glut of consumer goods and none for restaurants and schools. Would it be worth the expense of retooling all those processing facilities?

So to sell their goods, the farmers would need to find new distributors willing to take/buy their product to clean, process, and package the goods for a different market. But that begs the question, are these farmers under contract to supply to only one company? Can they break that contract? And are other distributors willing to take the goods? Or are those consumer store distributors working at capacity and have no room to take on more product?

All this would also take time to do. And as we all know, fresh food spoils. So until something is set up and in place (assuming anyone is really working towards that), the food would go bad. So what can a farmer do but dump food in the meantime.

It's a lot more complicated than the average consumer knows. It's not like we are talking about little mom and pop truck farms and dairies that sell to farmers markets. And I admit, I am no expert. I am only parroting what I've read and learned recently.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:04 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
I've been going into grocery stores a few times per week over the past several weeks and notice more then ever that almost every single person in there, except for a very small number, have a shopping cart plum-full all the way up to the very top full of groceries. The express line has no one in it when I go through to pay for my half dozen or so items. So people seem to be buying more for sure. Now if they are eating all of that food before it expires is anyone's guess.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:06 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Received my pickup order from the local Kroger today. Had ordered 1/2 gal. of milk. Out of stock.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:51 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
Sooner or later that stockpiled food is going to run out. Farmers now killing off livestock, plowing crops under, and dumping milk down the drain. Now Trump cuts immigrations and just where will the farm labor come from? Don't tell me Americans are going to do manual farm work. I seen this before where the locals complained about immigrants working the farms while they were out of work. The state stopped farms from using immigrant labor and farmers were forced to hired American workers. Most didn't last to lunch time on the first day. Other went home and never came back. Farmers took a major loss as crops rotten in the fields.

Look for empty shelves at your store and it will only get worse. The main reason...failed leadership.
Under Trump the US is a ship without a rudder.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:58 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
What a nauseating waste. Why wouldn't they at least donate it somewhere? I don't understand people sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies