Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 10:42 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Landslide or not, i just want to see him win.
Regardless, I wonder why he makes such comments because it does him no favors in my view.

Not that I think he is going to lose, but it is certainly possible. If so, people will look back and make fun of him like they do Hillary for some of her similar comments.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 11:13 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
In a corona virus briefing, Pres. Trump said that he will win the presidential election in Nov. by a landslide.

He said "I think we're gonna win in a landslide. A lot of people love Trump. A lot of people love me."

Watching him make this statement brought to mind a quote attributed to Albert Einstein: "The only difference between genius and insanity is that genius has its limits."
Trump is quite correct as well.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:18 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
At most 10 states are in play. A President who has never broken 50% approval will not win in a landslide. Neither will Joe Biden.

The winner will have less than 53% of the popular vote and under 320 electoral votes.

Obviously, the coronavirus could upset things but there are 40 states that are either blue or red.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:38 AM

10,757 posts, read 4,344,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
At most 10 states are in play. A President who has never broken 50% approval will not win in a landslide. Neither will Joe Biden.

The winner will have less than 53% of the popular vote and under 320 electoral votes.

Obviously, the coronavirus could upset things but there are 40 states that are either blue or red.
Good, I hate landslides.
There is nothing more enjoyable in life than a close election.
The most preferred outcome is that Trump wins with a result as close as the 2000 Bush-Gore election.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:42 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Good, I hate landslides.
There is nothing more enjoyable in life than a close election.
The most preferred outcome is that Trump wins with a result as close as the 2000 Bush-Gore election.
In other words you want the Supreme Court to decide the election. If it comes down to that Trump will win. Then he'll have another asterisk next to his name beside the one for "lost the popular vote".

Old 04-22-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
In other words you want the Supreme Court to decide the election. If it comes down to that Trump will win. Then he'll have another asterisk next to his name beside the one for "lost the popular vote".
Asterisks are imaginary, so that's really for the losers to talk about, not for the winners.
And I assure you, the feeling of winning a close election is better than the feeling of winning a landslide election.
Likewise the experience of losing a close election, is the worst feeling anyone could ever have.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:52 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
what does the 2018 elections have to do with Trump, he didn't run then.
He told his supporters that he was “on the ballot” in 2018 in an effort to get his base out. It backfired and the R’s lost over 40 seats in the House.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:56 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
He told his supporters that he was “on the ballot” in 2018 in an effort to get his base out. It backfired and the R’s lost over 40 seats in the House.
....and they gained seats in the Senate.

The midterms were a disaster for Democrats who were talking about a "blue wave" and they barely limped out of there with any gains at all.

Look at the beatings Democrats took in the Obama midterms when he wasn't on the ballot, his voters only showed up for the presidential elections despite Democrats absolutely getting their teeth kicked in when he wasn't directly on the ballot. You should expect something similar to happen when Trump is back on the ballot given that he's even more popular with Republicans than Obama was with Democrats.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Telling someone that you are on the ballot doesn't actually do anything if you are not on the ballot.
Also, Obama's Democrats lost 63 House seat in 2010, and 6 Senate seats.
Obama's Democrats lost 2010 House and Senate.
Obama's Democrats lost 2014 House and Senate.
That's the way it goes....

Old 04-22-2020, 01:33 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Regardless, I wonder why he makes such comments because it does him no favors in my view.

Not that I think he is going to lose, but it is certainly possible. If so, people will look back and make fun of him like they do Hillary for some of her similar comments.

`
I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies