Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 01:08 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You must be getting your numbers from early March Dr. Falsie. We have actual data now out of Stanford and USC that proves the mortality rate is less than 0.05% and probably less than influenza.
Putting the rate of mortality aside, when was the last time 60,000 Americans died of respiratory failure in a single month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 01:08 PM

17,617 posts, read 6,903,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It doesn't sound like you understand this then. The actual data gets changed based on behaviors and what's available. The models are best guesses, but when they are revised down, they also take into account things like social distancing and other changed habits. It's not something you "predict"--it's something that people actually did. You wanting to be right is good and all, but you also to be honest with yourself--you probably aren't an epidemiologist with any qualifications.
I don’t need to be. I’ve still been more accurate than Fauci and Birx though.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:10 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I don’t need to be. I’ve still been more accurate than Fauci and Birx though.
Okay, I've been more accurate than you and Fauci and Birx have been even more accurate than you.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:17 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
You sound absolutely petrified.
Better to sound petrified than sound like an ignorant idiot...

Old 04-23-2020, 01:26 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,069 times
Quote:
It doesn't sound like you understand this then. The actual data gets changed based on behaviors and what's available. The models are best guesses, but when they are revised down, they also take into account things like social distancing and other changed habits. It's not something you "predict"--it's something that people actually did. You wanting to be right is good and all, but you also to be honest with yourself--you probably aren't an epidemiologist with any qualifications.
So I take it you create statistical models for a living then, No?

Was the decision to grind the US economy to a halt based on an assumption of millions of deaths or thousands of deaths? Because the former was just dead wrong and that makes any policy based off that prediction just as wrong.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:29 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
So I take it you create statistical models for a living then, No?

Was the decision to grind the US economy to a halt based on an assumption of millions of deaths or thousands of deaths? Because the former was just dead wrong and that makes any policy based off that prediction just as wrong.
Oh no way, that's a bunk job. I do a decent number of machine learning projects and had a year where I was doing a lot of GANs related stuff including having to source and clean up data due to an ongoing project, so I know some stuff, but I'm definitely not close to the models used for this epidemic. I'm definitely NOT an epidemiologist. That being said, I do get that it's a lot of work and expertise to make these and there's the element of it being a constant work in progress. I think early on it was explicitly based on millions to hundreds of thousands, wasn't it?

I guess it hits older people worse because probably a lot of their retirement money is in portfolios that have taken a dive whereas a lot more younger people work essential jobs, are less likely to die from such, and are also more likely to have white collar professional jobs that can easily move to a work from home paradigm.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Oh no way, that's a bunk job. I do a decent number of machine learning projects and had a year where I was doing a lot of GANs related stuff including having to source and clean up data due to an ongoing project, so I know some stuff, but I'm definitely not close to the models used for this epidemic. I'm definitely NOT an epidemiologist. That being said, I do get that it's a lot of work and expertise to make these and there's the element of it being a constant work in progress. I think early on it was explicitly based on millions to hundreds of thousands, wasn't it?
Based upon what you've said here, your work with AI should give you enough of an understanding of decision trees, adaptive responses, and Monte Carlo simulations to present an informed opinion of what a model can produce. You don't have to be an expert on a subject to have an informed opinion about it because you apply knowledge from your areas of expertise to form that opinion.

I will never trust any policy based on models again because of the poor assumptions used at the outset. Take this assumption that drives many state retirement funds: Markets will produce a 7.0% return per annum. That little gem has crushed many retirement funds because it was absolutely wrong. One wrong statistic can produce errors that are orders of magnitude from reality.

That's my rant about models.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:50 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Based upon what you've said here, your work with AI should give you enough of an understanding of decision trees, adaptive responses, and Monte Carlo simulations to present an informed opinion of what a model can produce. You don't have to be an expert on a subject to have an informed opinion about it because you apply knowledge from your areas of expertise to form that opinion.

I will never trust any policy based on models again because of the poor assumptions used at the outset. Take this assumption that drives many state retirement funds: Markets will produce a 7.0% return per annum. That little gem has crushed many retirement funds because it was absolutely wrong. One wrong statistic can produce errors that are orders of magnitude from reality.

That's my rant about models.
^^^^^^This. I do Financial Pro Formas and Financial Modelling for work. It is ALL in the assumptions used, and of course the data. But, you can have great data, and do anything you want with it based on the assumptions. Escalation factors, interest rates, cost of money, reversion numbers etc.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^^This. I do Financial Pro Formas and Financial Modelling for work. It is ALL in the assumptions used, and of course the data. But, you can have great data, and do anything you want with it based on the assumptions. Escalation factors, interest rates, cost of money, reversion numbers etc.
Are you an FA? Because if you are, we need to talk.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:56 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
The former was a worst case scenario assuming no mitigative measures. The latter estimate could still come to fruition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies