Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 10:42 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You base your assumption on nothing more than God awful Mel Gibson Hollywood stereotypes! For a start the Scots ARE British! How can the 'British' not make good stewards when Scots ARE British?? In other words NOBODY is 'occupying' Scotland. Do you realise it was a Scottish King that United Scotland and England to create Britain (obviously not). Admit it go on you think Braveheart is historically accurate don't you?
And you make assumptions that have basis in fact what so ever, I have never seen the Mel Gibson movie!
I never said they were an occupied county but the people are close to going their own way. Ask a Scot what they think and they will say they are Scot not British, they came very close on the last vote to dissolving the union.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 10:44 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And you make assumptions that have basis in fact what so ever, I have never seen the Mel Gibson movie!
I never said they were an occupied county but the people are close to going their own way. Ask a Scot what they think and they will say they are Scot not British, they came very close on the last vote to dissolving the union.

The vote was close,but the Independence vote was not the winner. That should tell you something. How many true Scots do you know, as in born & bred there?

Old 04-24-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
People hailing from Boston aren't Irish Catholics, they're American.
You tell them that, maybe American now but many I knew had the grandparents that came from the old country..

Old 04-24-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The vote was close,but the Independence vote was not the winner. That should tell you something. How many true Scots do you know, as in born & bred there?
The last vote was close but the next is on the horizon. I have known a few although I never could quite understand what Carol was saying...

Old 04-24-2020, 11:07 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:

Ask a Scot and they are more likely to call themselves both Scottish and British - ask an Englishman and you can say the same, however this has nothing to do with your daft assumption that Scotland is 'occupied' by the English! Braveheart or not it seems you must base this on the fact that Hollywood perpetually casts the 'English' man as the bad guy no? The fact is both yourself (and others who have quoted on here) for some reason seem to think that the English are some kind of invading force in Scotland! If anything it's the English that are oppressed! The Scots have their own devolved government as well as the British government! They get to vote on both Scottish and English political matters whereas the English don't get that privalege, the Scots get their prescriptions for free and don't suffer the student loans of their English counterparts, if anybody in Britain is 'oppressed' it's the nasty English, the only difference is unlike the Scots the English DONT get a vote on independence!! We want freedom from the Scottish oppressors! Freeeeeeeedom!

Old 04-24-2020, 11:12 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
You tell them that, maybe American now but many I knew had the grandparents that came from the old country..
Grandparents!! That doesnt make them any more Irish than I am French! They are what we call 'plastic paddies', they have no more idea about Ireland than I have about Texas! Irish people don't watch baseball they support Celtic Football club.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:07 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post

Name one place on this planet where Brits were "good stewards". None? Duh, how surprising.
Relatively speaking? In almost every case, British rule was a net positive. Some cases were better than others of course.

Consider this. Take all of the 1st world, fully developed non-European world countries in the world. All of them come from one of two origins:
  • Never fully colonized. Examples: Japan, South Korea.
  • Colonized by the UK. Examples: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United States, South Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore.

Can anyone name for me the former colonies of France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium or the Netherlands that have evolved into thriving modern 1st world nations? Exceptions may exist, but I can't think of any.

Ireland, Wales and Scotland were taken against their will under English domination. I think it's fair to say that they did not benefit from that domination overall. But to characterize British rule as "always bad, never good" is to ignore history. Whether by accident or on purpose, the Brits had traditions and governmental institutions they passed on to their former colonies which gave them a rather massive advantage compared to colonies of the French, Spanish or other colonial powers.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:07 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Relatively speaking? In almost every case, British rule was a net positive. Some cases were better than others of course.

Consider this. Take all of the 1st world, fully developed non-European world countries in the world. All of them come from one of two origins:
  • Never fully colonized. Examples: Japan, South Korea.
  • Colonized by the UK. Examples: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United States, South Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore.

Can anyone name for me the former colonies of France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium or the Netherlands that have evolved into thriving modern 1st world nations? Exceptions may exist, but I can't think of any.

Ireland, Wales and Scotland were taken against their will under English domination. I think it's fair to say that they did not benefit from that domination overall. But to characterize British rule as "always bad, never good" is to ignore history. Whether by accident or on purpose, the Brits had traditions and governmental institutions they passed on to their former colonies which gave them a rather massive advantage compared to colonies of the French, Spanish or other colonial powers.

Quebec (now part of the aforementioned Canada albeit grudgingly at times).

Old 04-24-2020, 01:12 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Quebec (now part of the aforementioned Canada albeit grudgingly at times).
As we see with South Africa, it was originally somebody else's colony, but it became a British colony.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:13 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Grandparents!! That doesnt make them any more Irish than I am French! They are what we call 'plastic paddies', they have no more idea about Ireland than I have about Texas! Irish people don't watch baseball they support Celtic Football club.
Now easthome, you are being pig-headed and dismissive.

Plenty of people over here are quite up on Irish history and know about the Troubles. Dismissing them out of hand is a way of unilaterally shutting down the debate, as much as there is one anymore.

Irish-Americans are the second biggest ethnic group in the United States. Many still keep in touch with family over in Eire. They have an opinion. Just because it does not jive with yours is no reason to be condescending and bigoted.

Come on old man. Ditch the hackneyed references to movies and make your points in a civil manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies