Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 01:41 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,475,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I have no problem with that. I would likely pray at whatever times they do. Choose whatever holy days you prefer. Personally, things should be equal. Just like we have Christian holidays, we should have Jewish and Muslim ones etc. Either we have them for all or none at all.
Well for once we agree on something - that it should be for all or for none. I would prefer it be for none, just as I am opposed to prayers in public school.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:48 PM

15,066 posts, read 6,145,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Well for once we agree on something - that it should be for all or for none. I would prefer it be for none, just as I am opposed to prayers in public school.
Agreed. I don’t think we should have specific religious holidays either. People should be given 2 days to apply to whatever religion they profess. Our country has no business having Christmas as a federal. It’s unconstitutional. But if we are going to have it, I say have one for each major religion.

I’m with you on the prayer in public school issue. Nothing is stopping students from praying on their own but the schools should not be involved. I see the push for school prayer as parental laziness but that’s an entirely different discussion.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:50 PM

853 posts, read 334,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
*GASP* Nooooooooooo!!! That can’t be possible! They’re invading our country to make us all Muslims! LOLOL!

On a serious note, what are the demographics of the neighborhood? Is it largely Muslim? Are you hearing the calls to prayer?
I haven't heard the calls to prayer because we are on the other side of a freeway. I work on the eastern edge of downtown. The neighborhood, which is called Cedar Riverside or the West Bank is immediately east of downtown. It is mixed. The last I looked at the numbers it is a bit less than half black, most of which is Somali, and then a mix of white, Asian, African American black and latino. The area is also next to the University of Minnesota. It is about half immigrants, half students. Most of the stores on the main commercial street are Somali businesses so it is a magnet for Somalis from other parts of the city to do their shopping and congregate which probably makes it seem more Somali than it is. Nearly every storefront that isn't a Somali business is a bar or something geared towards students, which is kind of a funny mix.

This is the area on streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9696...7i16384!8i8192

Old 04-24-2020, 01:51 PM

764 posts, read 389,360 times
They do this in the middle east. Minnesota, LOL. Gotta love them. LOL Guess what Minn, this is America!!!!!

Old 04-24-2020, 01:53 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,658,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Bells don't pray to God or tell people how to pray.

Gaslighting...you lefties just love using it. More Saul Alinsky nonsense.
My God you've gotta be the king of Kool-Aid drinkers. It's a remarkable feat to tie today's American left with the likes of Saul Alinsky, a guy born in 1909, a volatile time in America, his writings were a product of the capitalist excesses of his time. He's been dead for forty eight years---give it a rest, Rush..

Just as the extreme side of the left wants to tie their enemies in the GOP with the likes of Hitler, the extreme right sinks to it's all time low with their visions of o'l Saul everywhere they go. Your little jab at others by calling your area "Mogadishu" tells the real story of your complaint, suck it up buttercup..

Old 04-24-2020, 01:55 PM

853 posts, read 334,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
They do this in the middle east. Minnesota, LOL. Gotta love them. LOL Guess what Minn, this is America!!!!!
Minneapolis is Minneapolis, we can do what we want with out city. If people in other parts of the country (or state) don't like it, that is their problem.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:59 PM

15,066 posts, read 6,145,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I haven't heard the calls to prayer because we are on the other side of a freeway. I work on the eastern edge of downtown. The neighborhood, which is called Cedar Riverside or the West Bank is immediately east of downtown. It is mixed. The last I looked at the numbers it is a bit less than half black, most of which is Somali, and then a mix of white, Asian, African American black and latino. The area is also next to the University of Minnesota. It is about half immigrants, half students. Most of the stores on the main commercial street are Somali businesses so it is a magnet for Somalis from other parts of the city to do their shopping and congregate which probably makes it seem more Somali than it is. Nearly every storefront that isn't a Somali business is a bar or something geared towards students, which is kind of a funny mix.

This is the area on streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9696...7i16384!8i8192
Interesting mix indeed. Guess the prayers are not that loud after all. Makes sense since they are only coming from one mosque.

Looks like a pretty decent area though. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:16 PM

1,417 posts, read 729,995 times
I wonder is they can hear the call to prayer over the screams of the victims of forced female circumcision?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:27 PM

46,891 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
They do this in the middle east.
You don't say.

Quote:
Minnesota, LOL. Gotta love them. LOL Guess what Minn, this is America!!!!!
A place with a constitution that enshrines rights to freedom of religion and representation in government?

A religious group petitioned their local government to be allowed a certain accommodation when it came to expressing their religion. The local government weighed their responsibilities towards freedom of religion vs. that of providing a peaceful environment and reached a solution that seems welcomed in the community.

As you say, "this is America!!!!!"

Old 04-24-2020, 02:45 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,065,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
My God you've gotta be the king of Kool-Aid drinkers. It's a remarkable feat to tie today's American left with the likes of Saul Alinsky, a guy born in 1909, a volatile time in America, his writings were a product of the capitalist excesses of his time. He's been dead for forty eight years---give it a rest, Rush..

Just as the extreme side of the left wants to tie their enemies in the GOP with the likes of Hitler, the extreme right sinks to it's all time low with their visions of o'l Saul everywhere they go. Your little jab at others by calling your area "Mogadishu" tells the real story of your complaint, suck it up buttercup..
This entire nation has shifted left, and liberals are more radical today than they ever have been.

The nation is also as divided as ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.