Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 10:45 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,556,583 times

Advertisements

If that's what that neighborhood wants, what's the problem with it?

Old 04-26-2020, 10:51 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The fact that any liberal anywhere would say this is okay, with a,straight face, just goes to show you how detached from reality liberalism now is. Unreal.
Springtime is indeed snowflake melting season.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:51 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That’s really nice.

Personally, I find the Muslim call to prayer beautiful...soothing.

You got to be kidding? Having spend many years traveling in the middle east the worst thing in my mind I remember is the horrid call to prayer five times a day every day seven days a week 365 day a year.
Its kind of like the psychological torture used in Guantanamo.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:54 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
You got to be kidding? Having spend many years traveling in the middle east the worst thing in my mind I remember is the horrid call to prayer five times a day every day seven days a week 365 day a year.
I’ve also traveled in countries where it’s common and also liked hearing it, from a strictly non-religious point of view. I find the sound hauntingly beautiful (though I personally could do without the early morning one).

Different strokes.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:52 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Not sure what to tell you. I am not kidding. It’s beautiful and it causes me to contemplate the greatness of God. The same goes for certain Hindu prayers, as noted earlier.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:37 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not sure what to tell you. I am not kidding. It’s beautiful and it causes me to contemplate the greatness of God. The same goes for certain Hindu prayers, as noted earlier.
Yep, it's just about you - to heck with those who believe that specific religious doctrine, not be routinely broadcast in public places.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:59 PM

853 posts, read 336,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They had to be issued a special noise permit because they are exceeding the laws currently in place. So Muslims are allowed to disrespect non-Muslims by subjecting them to a loud prayer antithetical to their beliefs - beginning at dawn - but Christians sitting in their cars, disturbing nobody, are issued citations.

We all know that progressives favor Muslims over other religions, but this has gone too far. At the minimum, they should have been required to abide by normal noise restrictions. They are there for a purpose - not to disturb your neighbors.

And it sets a dangerous precedent. My area is 10% Muslim, with one house of prayer within walking distance. Will my neighborhood be next, and will I be forced to hear Muslim doctrine - again antithetical to my beliefs - blasted five times a day?
The Catholic Basilica on the other side of Downtown Minneapolis has the same permit for their bells. They ring them every Sunday morning and whenever there is a wedding. I can hear it from my apartment. It bothers me as much as the Muslim call to prayer, which is to say not at all.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
The Catholic Basilica on the other side of Downtown Minneapolis has the same permit for their bells. They ring them every Sunday morning and whenever there is a wedding. I can hear it from my apartment. It bothers me as much as the Muslim call to prayer, which is to say not at all.
It's not just call to prayer, but is actually a prayer, and also a bite sized summary of an entire religious belief system.

Perhaps a compromise could be a possible solution, with music, but no words?

Music is one thing and can convey emotion, but words are so much more, and in this instance, build up one person's belief, while belittling another person's belief - so divisive and lacking in respect for others

Old 04-26-2020, 01:31 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yep, it's just about you - to heck with those who believe that specific religious doctrine, not be routinely broadcast in public places.
Of those that believe in no religious dogma and don't like listening to their idiotic advertisements screeched out 5 times a day, starting at 5:00 am.

I grew up in the country. The worst we had was the local fire department sounding off their siren at noon every day. Got all the dogs howling. The Arabic screeching is worse.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:39 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Bells wouldn’t bother me, but if they blasted “Jesus is the salvation” five times a day, it would. Just as non-Christians should not be forced to hear Christian doctrine, non-Muslims should not be forced to listen to Muslim doctrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.