Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 03:50 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
We appear to be there right now. The goal of the "Flattening the curve" strategy and the "social distancing" tactics was never to stop the virus from infecting most people. It was to reduce the peak at the outset enough to get enough ventilators in and to allow the hospitals and the cities to prepare for whatever comes.

We cannot stop this. We cannot contain it. The "cat" is out of the bag and she is not going back in.

The next step is to build up herd immunity, which all of the antibody testing which has been done suggests we are actually quite a bit further along towards than what the supposed "experts" had thought or been predicting based on their obviously flawed prediction models.

Building up herd immunity means some 60%-70% of people will be getting this virus, and maybe more. The goal is not to avoid that from happening, as that is inevitable. We cannot run away from that destiny. We cannot hide from it. We can not deny it away or avoid it. It WILL happen.

The best we can do is to provide safeguards for the elderly, especially those with the specific co-morbidities that tend to correlate with people dying from this disease, which appear to be primarily obesity, diabetes and heart disease, as far as I can tell.

Everyone else needs to expect to get this virus, as statistically speaking, we very probably will.

Everyone else will have to be smart, take what precautions are appropriate for your particular situation, and beyond that, be courageous enough to accept that risk is a part of life and that we all face risks, literally every day. This is just one of them.
Yes, we cannot hide forever! I think most of us are freaking out with those that refuse to follow any safeguards. Where to draw the line?? No cops no laws- just OPEN CARRY --- masks . Because people starting to shoot people with this virus too. It is a HOT Potato- and people are reacting on both sides of the fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 03:59 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yes, we cannot hide forever! I think most of us are freaking out with those that refuse to follow any safeguards. Where to draw the line?? No cops no laws- just OPEN CARRY --- masks . Because people starting to shoot people with this virus too. It is a HOT Potato- and people are reacting on both sides of the fence.
You sound like you have been binge-watching Mad Max movies or something.

Seriously, relax. We have nothing to fear, but fear itself. This too shall pass. Watch and see.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Time to re-open dat 'conomy

Old 04-25-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
You sound like you have been binge-watching Mad Max movies or something.

Seriously, relax. We have nothing to fear, but fear itself. This too shall pass. Watch and see.
I already stated- I'm not afraid for me, but for my family who still out there working. And yes, this too shall pass, but let's try to last longer...

Old 04-25-2020, 04:06 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I already stated- I'm not afraid for me, but for my family who still out there working. And yes, this too shall pass, but let's try to last longer...
Yeah, right.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:07 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Opening early will be great for the funeral businesses. I expect that Trump is well invested in the same.
Just one question; when those with the coronavirus overwhelm our healthcare system and our medical professionals become infected and some die who is it that will provide medical services?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q78DmVyQ30

I realize that most working folks need to work to provide for their families, but is chancing bringing home a killer worth it?
The thing is that you worked and paid taxes and now where are those that you elected? Trump approved $1200 for working folks while giving billions to big businesses. You need to call your respective politician and demand help from the government.
Keep in mind you won't be able to pay bills, buy food, or hug your kids from your coffin.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, right.
I'm teleworking- and have the option to hang home longer- if I want. No its not about me. I go once a week to the store- wash up when I get home- but where I am- $1000 fine if no mask - evening curfew and yesterday they took my temp at the door of the store.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:22 PM

17,398 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Opening early will be great for the funeral businesses. I expect that Trump is well invested in the same.
Just one question; when those with the coronavirus overwhelm our healthcare system and our medical professionals become infected and some die who is it that will provide medical services?

I realize that most working folks need to work to provide for their families, but is chancing bringing home a killer worth it?
The thing is that you worked and paid taxes and now where are those that you elected? Trump approved $1200 for working folks while giving billions to big businesses. You need to call your respective politician and demand help from the government.
Keep in mind you won't be able to pay bills, buy food, or hug your kids from your coffin.
If it's so contagious, why hasn't it completely overwhelmed the first responders and taken them out by now?

Why are the supermarket workers still standing?

Why are the restaurant workers still okay?

People ARE demanding help from the government - help in opening back up the economy and stop playing Chicken Little every day all day.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post

Here is a list of the healthcare workers who have passed -

In Memoriam: Healthcare Workers Who Have Died of COVID-19
April 01, 2020

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927976

Old 04-25-2020, 04:31 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was talking about this earlier with a coworker and he said something that really got me thinking...

We have a fairly large protesting group in my state right now, that is demanding the governor re open everything and allow people to go back to work...now, from what the CDC is saying currently, this is a VERY BAD idea!

Maybe all these people are only saying they want everything re opened, people going to back work, etc...when what they really want, is for the number of infected to explode and skyrocket as soon as everything re opens...then of course, everything will be forced to shut down again...and for MUCH longer?

It makes sense to me. NO sane person should be calling for places to re open at this point, (especially with what the CDC is saying currently!), doing this will be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I was listening to our cashiers talk to customers in the store today, and many were making comments on our state deciding to re open places, (it was was split 50/50 between those for it and those against it), but one common thing I did hear, from majority of people....if places did re open soon, they, personally, would NOT be going or taking their families, (that was pretty interesting), I would have thought people that agreed with re opening, would be more likely to start going out again, taking their families out, I was WRONG.
There's plenty of SANE people calling for places to reopen.

In my state, grocery stores are open, Lowe's is open, gas stations are open, coffee shops are open, all national pizza chains are open, a lot of restaurants are open.

So let me ask you this, if you can in one day shop at Lowes, Publix, Walmart, grab a coffee, and order a pizza from Papa Johns, why aren't you getting sick? And if you are one that's buying groceries, hardware, pizzas, and coffees, why then aren't you not SANE either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies