Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 03:11 AM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

I wish I had bookmarked the study I read yesterday - but doctors in the UK have found that at least 50% of the deaths attributed to Covid happened to people who already had severe health problems that wouldn't live to see 2021 because of them. We have to remember that anyone infected is considered a number but not everyone infected dies because of Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 05:26 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I wish I had bookmarked the study I read yesterday - but doctors in the UK have found that at least 50% of the deaths attributed to Covid happened to people who already had severe health problems that wouldn't live to see 2021 because of them. We have to remember that anyone infected is considered a number but not everyone infected dies because of Covid.
It's even better than that, statistical studies of the population indicates 50-85 times more people have the antibodies that were known to have them. Therefore, the portion of people infected that die from this virus is comparable to the flu.

And like the flu, the elderly and those in poor state of health are at much greater risk than younger and healthier people.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:33 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
As I’ve said, the economy will have to open up very soon (not months or years from now) and whether you realize it or not, more sacrifices (deaths) will be made to get our economy going. If you believe nobody is expendable, you’re not living in reality.

This virus is here to stay and it will continue to kill a lot more people even with vaccines and treatments. Staying at home is NOT going to stop the spread of infection, obviously.

People have to eat, feed their family, pay bills, have sex, have kids, love, laugh, LIVE LIFE!
Good points. I agree.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:59 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
The stay at home order is not worth the economic death and impact it has on peoples life right now. Not worth it at all.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:25 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was talking about this earlier with a coworker and he said something that really got me thinking...

We have a fairly large protesting group in my state right now, that is demanding the governor re open everything and allow people to go back to work...now, from what the CDC is saying currently, this is a VERY BAD idea!

Maybe all these people are only saying they want everything re opened, people going to back work, etc...when what they really want, is for the number of infected to explode and skyrocket as soon as everything re opens...then of course, everything will be forced to shut down again...and for MUCH longer?

It makes sense to me. NO sane person should be calling for places to re open at this point, (especially with what the CDC is saying currently!), doing this will be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I was listening to our cashiers talk to customers in the store today, and many were making comments on our state deciding to re open places, (it was was split 50/50 between those for it and those against it), but one common thing I did hear, from majority of people....if places did re open soon, they, personally, would NOT be going or taking their families, (that was pretty interesting), I would have thought people that agreed with re opening, would be more likely to start going out again, taking their families out, I was WRONG.
I am a sane person. I live in your state, I have to this point supported Beshear’s actions, but I now think it is time to start re-opening things in most of the state. I don’t think, nor do most of the people protesting, that the doors to everything, everywhere in the state should be flung open immediately. We gradually closed everything, why would you assume opening back up would be different?

Currently, in our state, 75+% of the cases have been in three counties (Jefferson, Fayette, and Kenton), those three counties need to open at a slower, more restricted rate than other parts of the state. I currently live in the 5th most populated county in the state and we have had 24 confirmed cases, 1 hospitalization (which originally came from another county), and 0 deaths. We are home to a regional hospital and it is closed to all but emergency care - why???? In other words, as reported by local news (radio) there were 6 people in the hospital that day - the one COVID patient, two people who had heart attacks, one stroke, and two new mamas and their babies. They were discussing that they were starting to lay-off staff and there is a very real concern with being able to fiscally keep their doors open after this ends, which would mean everyone would have to travel an hour further to get to a hospital in the future. I would argue this is far more dangerous to my community than the virus.

I have lost very close relatives, all of whom live in northern metro areas, to this virus. I myself am a high risk person if I were to get it. Despite that, I think it is time for the rest of America to get on with their lives (with new cautions, such as masks, washing their hands, and keeping the 6-foot distance) and for people like me to remain under strict isolation. Humans are social animals and this isn’t a natural way of living for us, the psychological repercussions are going to be staggering. We’ve flattened the curve, doctors are figuring out how ways to treat those severely afflicted, they are not going to get rid of the virus anytime soon, and we now have every reason to believe more have already had it than previously believed. The risk to me should no longer be a justification for everyone to sacrifice so much.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:28 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
A few observations on the bug.

1) It is highly infections-"lockdowns" aren't going to stop that-it's not going away.

2) The vast majority of people that are exposed will never even know that they are infected, or at worst will have mild cases that don't require hospitalization.

3) Antibody testing is telling us that many, many more people have been exposed than we realized-to the tune of 50-85 times as many. Meaning the lethality is 1/50-1/85 as bad as has been reported.

4) Of those that have died from the bug, 1.2% are under 65 with no underlying health conditions. The way to address this for those over 65 and sick is different than for the general population (other studies may differ, but the conclusion is the same, younger people with no underlying conditions have a low risk from the bug).

5) We are told we are likely years away (1-3) from having a vaccine. Given the infectiousness of this bug, by the time the vaccine is out, it is likely that nearly all people will have been exposed, and that it will be unnedessary.

6) A vaccine is never 100% effective. We have had flu vaccines for decades, yet ~50,000 Americans die of the flu every year.

7) It seems logical that the way to defeat this bug is to work towards "herd immunity" as quickly as possible, consistent without infecting so many that our healthcare system is overwhelmed.

8) Those in the most at-risk groups (the elderly) are the very group that has the least need to work for a living. Most can either collect Social Security and/or have pension or investment income. They are able to responsibly minimize their exposure for an extended period without making a dramatic impact on the economy. Granted, cruises and travel by this group should be limited for a while. I think most in that group are responsible enough to make informed decisions.

9) Given these facts, seems likely that younger, healthier people should be able to get back to work, save this economy, pay their rent/mortgage and put food on the table with only a modest impact on mortality. Given that some states are lifting the lockdown, we'll know in a week or two.

10) We do KNOW that the current "lockdown" situation can not continue for any significant time for the general population. Not everyone is a government employee. People are losing their businesses, are at risk of losing their homes, and can't put food on the table. Lines for food are dramatic in much of the country already.

11) It's reasonable to keep very large mass gatherings shut down (major sporting events, concerts, etc) for a significant period until we have more data. Shoulder to shoulder with 80,000 strangers, maybe not a good idea. That is a long way from keeping an overall lockdown in place.

12) Mass transit and air travel remains an issue, due to crowding, extended contact and dirty conditions. The solution in areas dependant on mass transit may have to be addressed differently than among those that travel by personal transportation.

13) In general, viruses lose a significant degree of infectiousness in hot weather and in sunny conditions. Meaning that those infected during summer months are likely to get a lower "viral load" in an exposure, potentially with a milder response (infection). If so-we WANT to spread this thing as widely as possible during during the summer months, so that the number of people that don't have antibodies and are most susceptible are minimized during the winter months, when viruses are most infectious-and when other viruses (flu) already load the health care system.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-24-2020 at 06:47 AM..

Old 04-24-2020, 06:33 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Germany is starting to reopen, but consumers aren’t responding. For a lot of small businesses, even ASAP reopening might not save them.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKCN2242AG

Quote:
The HDE association said the mood among shoppers remained very subdued due to concerns about jobs and finances. "Consumers are in a crisis mode, consumer sentiment is in the doldrums," a spokesman said.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:46 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was talking about this earlier with a coworker and he said something that really got me thinking...

We have a fairly large protesting group in my state right now, that is demanding the governor re open everything and allow people to go back to work...now, from what the CDC is saying currently, this is a VERY BAD idea!

Maybe all these people are only saying they want everything re opened, people going to back work, etc...when what they really want, is for the number of infected to explode and skyrocket as soon as everything re opens...then of course, everything will be forced to shut down again...and for MUCH longer?

It makes sense to me. NO sane person should be calling for places to re open at this point, (especially with what the CDC is saying currently!), doing this will be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I was listening to our cashiers talk to customers in the store today, and many were making comments on our state deciding to re open places, (it was was split 50/50 between those for it and those against it), but one common thing I did hear, from majority of people....if places did re open soon, they, personally, would NOT be going or taking their families, (that was pretty interesting), I would have thought people that agreed with re opening, would be more likely to start going out again, taking their families out, I was WRONG.

We go through the normal flu every year with deaths.......staying shut down for a few more months just guarantees we will have nothing to come back to........

Old 04-24-2020, 06:47 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Germany is starting to reopen, but consumers aren’t responding. For a lot of small businesses, even ASAP reopening might not save them.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKCN2242AG
Panic and hype working as desired. IF the infection and death rate doesn't rise dramatically as businesses open, that will change, and fairly quickly. People will understand that going about life doesn't mean you die next week, and that this bug, while very serious, has been dramatically overhyped for the average person.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:48 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
We go through the normal flu every year with deaths.......staying shut down for a few more months just guarantees we will have nothing to come back to........
Well that is the goal of Leftists...to destroy America's success has been their goal for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies