Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 09:47 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was talking about this earlier with a coworker and he said something that really got me thinking...

We have a fairly large protesting group in my state right now, that is demanding the governor re open everything and allow people to go back to work...now, from what the CDC is saying currently, this is a VERY BAD idea!

Maybe all these people are only saying they want everything re opened, people going to back work, etc...when what they really want, is for the number of infected to explode and skyrocket as soon as everything re opens...then of course, everything will be forced to shut down again...and for MUCH longer?

It makes sense to me. NO sane person should be calling for places to re open at this point, (especially with what the CDC is saying currently!), doing this will be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I was listening to our cashiers talk to customers in the store today, and many were making comments on our state deciding to re open places, (it was was split 50/50 between those for it and those against it), but one common thing I did hear, from majority of people....if places did re open soon, they, personally, would NOT be going or taking their families, (that was pretty interesting), I would have thought people that agreed with re opening, would be more likely to start going out again, taking their families out, I was WRONG.
Two reasons why: about every seven to ten days, there will be an outbreak because folks are singing (spewing invisible covid19 snot) in a house of worship so there's the reminder right there, and folks won't have money to go do stuff since they lost their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 09:49 AM

208 posts, read 81,183 times
Time to reopen the economy. The wimps and sissies can stay at home forever and keep crying to momma. The rest of us will get back to work and live life as normal.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:19 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
It's possible 50% IS infected right now. Lots of people won't have symptoms, not now, not ever.

That 10 minute thing is hogwash. Who told you that? But - anyway - that mask is NOT to prevent you from getting sick. It's to prevent ME from getting sick FROM you - because YOU already have it. Ya see?

If you are "told" to wear a mask - it's not for your own good. It's for mine. I'm stunned every day at the sheer number of people who still don't understand that.

Meantime - re: an earlier comment - yep, if no "lockdown" had happened - I was already avoiding people. Already not going to crowded places, not getting near vulnerable people in case I have it. We cut back on joy-travel in airplanes and cars and boats because I am trying to be part of the spread. So - as a result - shutdown or not - this virus was going to make a huge economic impact. The "real" impact is the difference between my own "voluntary" lockdown and today - not between last year and today.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Hopefully that was a lesson for you. People can choose to act appropriately without being forced by government.
Well, when this started, I expected to see more places close their doors, just because the govt says you are essential or tell you, you may stay open...that doesnt mean you have to, Owners can close their doors anytime they like, doing it for the good of public health and safety would have been admirable.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:53 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If you're scared of getting the COVID-19 virus, then please simply stay at home. If you must go out to get something, please wear a mask. Several years ago in my town, when a professor died of the flu at his home, nobody said the town had to shut down. For now, nobody in my town has died from COVID-19. It's time to start reopening the town, so I can get a haircut, though I hope the barber will have a mask on.
This isn't the flu. The flu doesn't cause long-lasting heart, lung, kidney and liver damage. I don't know anyone who got blood clots from the flu. I don't know anybody who went on dialysis from the flu. I don't remember seeing body bags and morgues filled up with people who died from the flu. We're just getting started.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenInNY View Post
Time to reopen the economy. The wimps and sissies can stay at home forever and keep crying to momma. The rest of us will get back to work and live life as normal.
Do you not realize, that will not work? The virus will continue to spread doing what you suggested.

I think maybe the real problem here is, that ALOT of people have not yet come to the realization that, the world is not going back to 'normal'.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am a sane person. I live in your state, I have to this point supported Beshear’s actions, but I now think it is time to start re-opening things in most of the state. I don’t think, nor do most of the people protesting, that the doors to everything, everywhere in the state should be flung open immediately. We gradually closed everything, why would you assume opening back up would be different?

Currently, in our state, 75+% of the cases have been in three counties (Jefferson, Fayette, and Kenton), those three counties need to open at a slower, more restricted rate than other parts of the state. I currently live in the 5th most populated county in the state and we have had 24 confirmed cases, 1 hospitalization (which originally came from another county), and 0 deaths. We are home to a regional hospital and it is closed to all but emergency care - why???? In other words, as reported by local news (radio) there were 6 people in the hospital that day - the one COVID patient, two people who had heart attacks, one stroke, and two new mamas and their babies. They were discussing that they were starting to lay-off staff and there is a very real concern with being able to fiscally keep their doors open after this ends, which would mean everyone would have to travel an hour further to get to a hospital in the future. I would argue this is far more dangerous to my community than the virus.

I have lost very close relatives, all of whom live in northern metro areas, to this virus. I myself am a high risk person if I were to get it. Despite that, I think it is time for the rest of America to get on with their lives (with new cautions, such as masks, washing their hands, and keeping the 6-foot distance) and for people like me to remain under strict isolation. Humans are social animals and this isn’t a natural way of living for us, the psychological repercussions are going to be staggering. We’ve flattened the curve, doctors are figuring out how ways to treat those severely afflicted, they are not going to get rid of the virus anytime soon, and we now have every reason to believe more have already had it than previously believed. The risk to me should no longer be a justification for everyone to sacrifice so much.
I live in Kenton County, KY!

Not sure if you have been on the expressways lately or not, but driving on I75 yesterday, near Dry Ridge, Williamstown, all the 'ARTEMIS' signs were reading..'Limit travel and activities to slow the spread of Covid19'.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:02 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
This isn't the flu. The flu doesn't cause long-lasting heart, lung, kidney and liver damage. I don't know anyone who got blood clots from the flu. I don't know anybody who went on dialysis from the flu. I don't remember seeing body bags and morgues filled up with people who died from the flu. We're just getting started.
You're right - covid isn't the flu. But ...

H1N1 can cause blood clots.

H1N1 can cause kidney damage requiring dialysis.

H1N1 can cause organ damage.

H1N1 can cause death.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:04 AM

7,925 posts, read 3,469,281 times
I think it is easy for people who are still employed or who are making more on unemployment than they made from their regular salary to criticize people who fit in neither category and are eager to get their lives and livelihoods back.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:22 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Oh really? When the beaches were opened in Florida with the caveat that people must stay 6 feet apart, guess what happened? The idiot factor is alive and well out there putting anyone that comes in contact with them in potential harms way. One wrong move can derail all of the right steps. Singapore is a good example of that. It seems the same happened in Australia and there is talk of closing the beaches again.

Smart people do what they're supposed to do while the Darwin crowd lead the way and the rest of society has to clean up the mess.
MOST people did and do respect the guidelines, even on beaches. However, that was during spring break. Drunk college kids on spring break are not noted for exercising common sense; this time was no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies