Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 12:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

I was talking about this earlier with a coworker and he said something that really got me thinking...

We have a fairly large protesting group in my state right now, that is demanding the governor re open everything and allow people to go back to work...now, from what the CDC is saying currently, this is a VERY BAD idea!

Maybe all these people are only saying they want everything re opened, people going to back work, etc...when what they really want, is for the number of infected to explode and skyrocket as soon as everything re opens...then of course, everything will be forced to shut down again...and for MUCH longer?

It makes sense to me. NO sane person should be calling for places to re open at this point, (especially with what the CDC is saying currently!), doing this will be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I was listening to our cashiers talk to customers in the store today, and many were making comments on our state deciding to re open places, (it was was split 50/50 between those for it and those against it), but one common thing I did hear, from majority of people....if places did re open soon, they, personally, would NOT be going or taking their families, (that was pretty interesting), I would have thought people that agreed with re opening, would be more likely to start going out again, taking their families out, I was WRONG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 12:48 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
I think those folk all need to do a big group hug to prove how safe life is now that Potus is selling his patented snake oil, good for what ails you, 90% pure kerosene, the purest and best available.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:57 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was listening to our cashiers talk to customers in the store today, and many were making comments on our state deciding to re open places, (it was was split 50/50 between those for it and those against it), but one common thing I did hear, from majority of people....if places did re open soon, they, personally, would NOT be going or taking their families, (that was pretty interesting), I would have thought people that agreed with re opening, would be more likely to start going out again, taking their families out, I was WRONG.
Hopefully that was a lesson for you. People can choose to act appropriately without being forced by government.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:30 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
It is a given that COVID19 is going to be with us for the foreseeable future, and there will be some level of deaths. If now is too soon, at what level of deaths would you be willing to accept and to have things reopen in your state? Zero?

Old 04-24-2020, 01:39 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
I was talking about this earlier with a coworker and he said something that really got me thinking...

We have a fairly large protesting group in my state right now, that is demanding the governor re open everything and allow people to go back to work...now, from what the CDC is saying currently, this is a VERY BAD idea!

Maybe all these people are only saying they want everything re opened, people going to back work, etc...when what they really want, is for the number of infected to explode and skyrocket as soon as everything re opens...then of course, everything will be forced to shut down again...and for MUCH longer?

It makes sense to me. NO sane person should be calling for places to re open at this point, (especially with what the CDC is saying currently!), doing this will be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

If you're scared of getting the COVID-19 virus, then please simply stay at home. If you must go out to get something, please wear a mask. Several years ago in my town, when a professor died of the flu at his home, nobody said the town had to shut down. For now, nobody in my town has died from COVID-19. It's time to start reopening the town, so I can get a haircut, though I hope the barber will have a mask on.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:53 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
As I’ve said, the economy will have to open up very soon (not months or years from now) and whether you realize it or not, more sacrifices (deaths) will be made to get our economy going. If you believe nobody is expendable, you’re not living in reality.

This virus is here to stay and it will continue to kill a lot more people even with vaccines and treatments. Staying at home is NOT going to stop the spread of infection, obviously.

People have to eat, feed their family, pay bills, have sex, have kids, love, laugh, LIVE LIFE!

Old 04-24-2020, 02:03 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If you're scared of getting the COVID-19 virus, then please simply stay at home. If you must go out to get something, please wear a mask. Several years ago in my town, when a professor died of the flu at his home, nobody said the town had to shut down. For now, nobody in my town has died from COVID-19. It's time to start reopening the town, so I can get a haircut, though I hope the barber will have a mask on.
The media has really did a number on folks. They’ve got a lot of people so scared, they believe contracting covid is certain death for anyone at any age.

I agree, people that don’t trust their own health should remain home till this virus disappears, which will be a very very long time.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 04-24-2020 at 02:12 AM..

Old 04-24-2020, 02:21 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I've found that the goals and points of the protesters have generally been much more nuanced than the OP gives them credit for.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:29 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've found that the goals and points of the protesters have generally been much more nuanced than the OP gives them credit for.
Most humans, like the OP, do not get beyond strait-jacketed either/or thinking, willingly or unwillingly.

My understanding is that Sweden is following a different approach than most of the rest of the world, and the results in terms of officially recorded cases and deaths, from what I can gather (it's hotly debated), are about the same as everywhere else.

Point is, indeed, people can voluntarily decide their own risk-taking limits.

However, I do wonder about those who may not want to take the CoViD-19 roulette risk too soon but may be told by an employer that they have to go back to work.

What "fair" solution for them? Another six months of unemployment benefits perhaps? Any other ideas?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:59 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:

My thoughts:
1. I don't believe our Governors or the President are within their authority to tell people they can't work to feed themselves and their families or travel where they want.
2. The states that never closed had far fewer cases in general than the states that closed down.
3. People at high risk can avoid going places where they think it's risky

So yes, I believe the President and Governors should reopen ASAP (as in yesterday or a few days before)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies