Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 11:22 PM

159 posts, read 53,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I agree a businessman shouldn't run the country, but why is a politician any better?
America needs more successful business people to run for office in order to help American businesses to be more productive. Academics, ideologues and community organizers have little to no idea on how to help businesses flourish.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Trump isn’t the greater of the two evils to me. He IS the evil itself.
Why? Did Trump permit the Secretary of State to set up a private, secret server in which to secretly conduct official state business as well some monkey bu$ine$$? Is that the type of "evil" you're referring to?

Old 04-26-2020, 11:25 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,345,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDawg View Post
America needs more successful business people to run for office in order to help American businesses to be more productive. Academics, ideologues and community organizers have little to no idea on how to help businesses flourish.
You can't help businesses by way of politics. Getting out of the way is what will help them.

I suppose you can use laws and regulations to rig things in favor of some businesses at the expense of others, but I don't see that as a good thing.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How can anybody possibly be against this ideology, unless they are promoting the destruction of their country?
The people opposed to nationalism misunderstand what it means. By the same token, a lot of leftists support a number of fascist ideals, as long as you don't call it fascism.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
You can't help businesses by way of politics. Getting out of the way is what will help them.

I suppose you can use laws and regulations to rig things in favor of some businesses at the expense of others, but I don't see that as a good thing.
We need people in government that understand the private sector so that they can make and eliminate regulations that needlessly diminish the people's ability to be productive at creating and growing wealth. Career politicians do a great job now of "rigging" laws and regulations in order to enrich their cronies and themselves. That's what "more" government does and that's why we need "less" of it.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,345,580 times
Quote:
We need people in government that understand the private sector so that they can make and eliminate regulations that needlessly diminish the people's ability to be productive at creating and growing wealth. Career politicians do a great job now of "rigging" laws and regulations in order to enrich their cronies and themselves. That's what "more" government does and that's why we need "less" of it.
I agree...I'd go a bit further and say we don't need anyone in government at all, but agreed.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:17 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
I agree a businessman shouldn't run the country, but why is a politician any better?
Because politicians are supposed to have actual knowledge of politics....at least in theory.

Politics is the art of governing through compromise in a representative democracy. That obviously goes over Trump’s head.

Quote:
If you favor putting the interests of others ahead of your own family's interests and, if you support permitting others to make the rules by which you and your family must live, then let's do this. I'll move into your home and take your room and your bed. As well, you provide me with food, transportation and spending money. Oh yea, and I set all the rules in the house. Since you oppose nationalism, you should be willing to go along with my idea. Where do you live so that I can make arrangements to sell my place and move in with you?
You already live in a nation that puts the interests of other nations ahead of the United States. And you voted for many of the people that are huge proponents of that policy.

You don’t need to move in with me. We can barely share a country, let alone a roof.

Quote:
LMAO...surely you jest.
Quote:
Why? Did Trump permit the Secretary of State to set up a private, secret server in which to secretly conduct official state business as well some monkey bu$ine$$? Is that the type of "evil" you're referring to?
No. Trump attempted to exchange foreign aid for dirt on his potential rival. It’s called a quid pro quo. It’s why he got himself impeached.

He didn’t need a Secretary of State to do his dirty work. He did it himself.

Quote:

Is that a joke?

Corporations spent $3.5 BILLION DOLLARS on lobbying!

And they aren’t spending that money to have government get outta their way!

Old 04-27-2020, 02:57 AM

Some folks are infected with TDS.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:06 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,856,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Trump isn’t the greater of the two evils to me. He IS the evil itself. And he’s not a serious man.

And I can’t vote for a man who I don’t take seriously as a man or politician. The Presidency is a political job, and I want a politician in the job.

I’m not enamored with the idea of a businessman running the country. That whole notion was foolhardy to begin with. Not to mention that he’s a halfassed businessman at best anyway.
To me Trump isn't the disease but the result of the disease. The disease is the 2 major parties and their hardliner supporters.

Long before Trump arrived the Nation was in crisis. Our international Rep hasn't been all that solid since the 50's. Trump didn't do that, our career politicians did.

I blame any elected rep who has been in office 4 or more years. The longer in office the greater their guilt.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:10 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,856,006 times
[b]Politics is the art of governing through compromise in a representative democracy.
Well be honest. That hasn't been happening since before Obama entered office, and Obama took the my way or the highway approach to leadership to a new level.

Corporations spent $3.5 BILLION DOLLARS on lobbying! . And that needs to change, but won't change as long as the 2 major parties control the game. Let's not forget how much effort AIPAC puts into our politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.