Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 04:24 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What? That nationalism is stupid? I base it on committed so-called nationalists themselves.
That doesn't explain what makes you think it is stupid. I would truly like to hear your thoughts on why you think its stupid. I await your reply.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
That doesn't explain what makes you think it is stupid. I would truly like to hear your thoughts on why you think its stupid. I await your reply.
“Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

Old 04-26-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
“Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer
Thank you for your reply, even if it doesn't answer the question.

However, your quote falls short of any kind of answer. One can feel pride in their nation as well as be proud in other things as well.

Once again, that doesn't explain what makes you think it is stupid. I would truly like to hear your thoughts on why you think its stupid. I await your reply.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDawg View Post
I agree with the following definition from Wikipedia. Based on their definition, I support nationalism.
So you read a Pukipedia article that you didn't even understand. Great.

Do you even know what a nation is?

I'm guessing you don't. A nation is a group of people who share:

1) a common ancestry;
2) a common language;
3) common customs, mores and values;
4) worship the same god(s);
5) revere the same heroes;
6) cherish the same history;
7) celebrate the same holidays; and
8) share the same music, poetry, drama and literature.

Putting it all together, the Chickasaw are a nation; America is not. The Irish are a nation; America is not.

See how that works?

Where do you and I fall on that list? We share a common language, that's about it.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

1) a common ancestry;
2) a common language;

Putting it all together, the Chickasaw are a nation; America is not. The Irish are a nation; America is not.

See how that works?

Where do you and I fall on that list? We share a common language, that's about it.
Where did you get that definition from? Never seen it. However, if we do go with that one, there are no nations. Even in Ireland not everyone speaks the same language or worships the same gods or celebrate the same holidays.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

1) a common ancestry;
2) a common language;

See how that works?

Pretty much spot on.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Thank you for your reply, even if it doesn't answer the question.

However, your quote falls short of any kind of answer. One can feel pride in their nation as well as be proud in other things as well.

Once again, that doesn't explain what makes you think it is stupid. I would truly like to hear your thoughts on why you think its stupid. I await your reply.
Your persistence would serve you better in other endeavors. Not here though.

You got all that you need from me.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:39 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Most of these so called “nationalists” on this thread are huge supporters of plutocrats, oligarchs, and international corporatocracy. The object of their affection isn’t REALLY the nation, but the monied interests in the nation although they have little money themselves. They’re besotted with loud talking nincompoops like Trump and they hail him as some kind of nationalist when he’s nothing of the sort. He’s just a self interested gasbag.
At least Trump is building a Border Wall to stop illegal aliens from perpetually entering the United States from Mexico.

Since nobody else had the courage to do that, I will take what I can get.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
At least Trump is building a Border Wall to stop illegal aliens from perpetually entering the United States from Mexico.

Since nobody else had the courage to do that, I will take what I can get.
Trump is the biggest globalist President in our history. The wall farce isn’t convincing. It just proves how disingenuous he really is.

Trump couldn’t possibly care less about illegal immigration. It was nothing more than a winnable issue to stoke white nativist fears and get him into the Oval Office.

You fell for it in all your gullibility. Me on the other hand? I know better because I know a phony when I see one. It ain’t my fault that you Republican types are a poor judge of character and fall quickly in love with authoritarian loudmouths.

If allowing 20 million Mexicans to stroll across the border would’ve gotten him elected, he would’ve advocated for that as a policy.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:52 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
If allowing 20 million Mexicans to stroll across the border would’ve gotten him elected, he would’ve advocated for that as a policy.
That policy is for the Democrats like Joe Biden. He believes in no borders.

The choice is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies