Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 03:38 PM

25,468 posts, read 12,580,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I’m not a doctor, but I recently listened to an interview with a doctor about this very topic. She said that a normal blood oxygen level is above 95% She said that levels as low as 90% aren’t necessarily serious but that it’s not normal. Some patients have come into ERs with blood oxygen as low as 50-60% (It’s called silent hypoxia) and by that point may beyond what medicine can do for them.

So, above 95% is normal (the higher the better) and 90% or lower is a sign of a problem.
So, why not use Pulse Oximiters as a diagnotic tool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Jokes aside, a lot of people do. The newer Apple smartwatches, some Garmin, Fitbit models, Samsung, and so on.
how many 70+'ers have these products?

Old 04-24-2020, 03:44 PM

35,564 posts, read 20,897,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
how many 70+'ers have these products?
have my BP machines somewhere- and thermometer- i don't want to known how am breathing all day LORD

Old 04-24-2020, 03:49 PM

5,852 posts, read 3,280,507 times
I bought one last week. I watched a video on youtube from a doctor. I have pulmonary issues and I always wanted one. It was the boot in the ass that I needed. It is easy to use and very useful if you get sick.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:56 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,488,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I wonder if fever precedes a drop in Oxygen in the blood? If so, a Themometer will do the trick.

Why don't the grocery stores have a person at the entry taking everyone's temp prior to entering using the instant "radar gun" looking no-touch instant thermometers?

I read 2C lower than normal. I've always been that way. It means I always feel hot. When I was a kid the doctor just said my thermostat is wired differently! However, I don't run a fever, ever. So taking a persons temperature is not a foolproof method. Also you might be an asymptomatic carrier long before you spike a fever. Maybe we should move to the instant CV19 test before we are allowed out of the house?

Old 04-24-2020, 03:59 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,488,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have one for flying to test 02 levels at altitude. They are inexpensive and useful.

Me too. We have O2 in the 182 if I see my level dropping. O2 is also great for improving night vision, even at relatively low altitudes....

Old 04-24-2020, 04:02 PM

8,343 posts, read 4,329,659 times
I've used one for years as a RN/Paramedic. I have a better quality one in my personal kit. It's a good indicator of supplemental oxygen needed. It should be used in conjunction with breath sounds useing a stethoscope, heart rate, blue coloration in lips/gums finger nails, capillary refill and so on. Things like fingernail polish and cold temperatures can affect readings.

There are many, many things that can cause oxygenation to drop and a low value does not automatically mean you have C19.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:04 PM

7,225 posts, read 4,510,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
The problem is that the pneumonia is creeping up on some people - especially the elderly - and causing disease in the lungs before the immune system can put up a defense by generating a fever, etc.
Yes when I was in college I got walking pneumonia. While walking regularly or sitting I had absolutely no problems. No fever, no cough, no sensation I couldn't breathe.

The first thing that let me know I had a problem was trying to go upstairs in the class building. I was literally crippled. I could only take two steps and had to stop for 5 minutes.

When the doctor told me it was pneumonia I didn't believe him. I had no symptoms. But once I took the antibiotics, it got better quick.

If you are worried, try walking up a set of stairs.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I've used one for years as a RN/Paramedic. I have a better quality one in my personal kit. It's a good indicator of supplemental oxygen needed. It should be used in conjunction with breath sounds useing a stethoscope, heart rate, blue coloration in lips/gums finger nails, capillary refill and so on. Things like fingernail polish and cold temperatures can affect readings.

There are many, many things that can cause oxygenation to drop and a low value does not automatically mean you have C19.
Thx for educating us. Most appreciated.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
have my BP machines somewhere- and thermometer- i don't want to known how am breathing all day LORD
I was thinking daily testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies