Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 10:55 AM

57,399 posts, read 26,452,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
A guideline is just that; a guideline. It’s not a law; therefore one cannot be “in violation”.

It is a guideline developed by health care professionals to insure the virus doesn't have a second wave. No its not a law but you can violate guidelines, come up with your own term but they ignored national health care policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You just can’t let it go and understand why the governor allowed the county officials to make the call, but it was a calculated decision based on our needs and was the right thing to do.
It is poor leadership for any governor to leave shutdowns up to local government, it needs to be done consistently across the state. Why did he eventually relent and issue a state ordered school closing instead of allowing counties to make the call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 10:58 AM

1,745 posts, read 968,860 times
Quote:
Because it’s become politicized, and Democratic local leaders want to keep everything shut down until there is a vaccine or an order to vote by mail, with no care for all the people who have been out of work for weeks now when the original plan was suggested to flatten the curve. The curve is flattened and people need to get back to work.
The whole point of the lockdown and quarantine was to flatten the curve to ensure hospitals were not overwhelmed, leading to unnecessary deaths. This is what all elected officials said. Now, several states have flattened the curve, and were not hit terribly hard by corona virus. Yet, when state officials plan on re-opening their economies, there is so much criticism, coming almost exclusively from Democrats. You even hear some say nothing should be re-opened until there is a vaccine. They moved the goal posts. I have to ask, why?

Old 04-26-2020, 11:01 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,574,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It is a guideline developed by health care professionals to insure the virus doesn't have a second wave. No its not a law but you can violate guidelines, come up with your own term but they ignored national health care policy.
Another lie, as you know very well. There WILL be a second wave, again, as you know very well. No guidelines that have been published anywhere are designed to stop that from happening.

Do you never tire of posting things that you know are blatantly untrue?

Old 04-26-2020, 11:06 AM

21,557 posts, read 10,686,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

It is poor leadership for any governor to leave shutdowns up to local government, it needs to be done consistently across the state. Why did he eventually relent and issue a state ordered school closing instead of allowing counties to make the call.
Because of political pressure and inaccurate forecasts saying our hospitals would be totally overwhelmed. Now we know that we can handle what comes and this virus is not as lethal as predicted, at least in this strain.

Question. Have you seen the lines of people trying to get food to feed their families? How can you deny that there are real costs that you probably aren’t paying to keep this thing going?

We were sold on the shutdown as a means of flattening the curve and our hospitals are not overwhelmed. We have achieved that goal. Now it’s time to cautiously open the economy back up and see what happens. This is the perfect time to do it as the weather is warming up and the new cases are flattening.

If you want to hunker down until a vaccine is made, no one is stopping you.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
The whole point of the lockdown and quarantine was to flatten the curve to ensure hospitals were not overwhelmed, leading to unnecessary deaths. This is what all elected officials said. Now, several states have flattened the curve, and were not hit terribly hard by corona virus. Yet, when state officials plan on re-opening their economies, there is so much criticism, coming almost exclusively from Democrats. You even hear some say nothing should be re-opened until there is a vaccine. They moved the goal posts. I have to ask, why?
Because Democrat leftists are pathological control freaks. They have not been in control recently and it has driven them positively wild. So if they can now basically terrorize everyone into a state of fear that makes them afraid to do anything without permission from them, then that is what they long for.

Lockdown control. They will not let it go without a fight. It is who they are. It is what they want to do.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:12 AM

21,557 posts, read 10,686,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I think the answer is obvious.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:25 AM

39,951 posts, read 26,693,700 times
Good to see Texas once again exercising common sense. This bug isn't going to be stopped by a "lockdown"-NYC proved that. IF it were not especially contagious, and if infections were in line with what the "official" positive number shows (1 million cases out of a population of 330 million, or about .3%), maybe, just maybe, you could contain this with shelter in place orders. But as NYC has shown via antibody testing-20% of their population has been exposed in only a few weeks. Other locations that have done extensive antibody tests show similar results. This isn't going be contained by a lockdown-silly to think it would be. Lockdowns did as we were sold on them to do-flattened the curve so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. They won't STOP the bug.

We know that, while younger people do get sick and do die, the risk to those under 65 without underlying health problems is minimal (in cases you missed it, 20-30 year olds die of heart attacks too). We really need to get people exposed, build the number with antibodies to generate immunity and do so in the summer. Viruses are slowed/killed by sunlight and heat-meaning those infected will likely get a lower viral load on initial contact and have a less serious response. Sunlight enables to body to produce vitamin D, strengthening the immune system. In short-it makes sense for people to be infected when it's warm and sunny, rather than cold and rainy or snowing. In addition-in the summer, hospitals have capacity since they are not already loaded up with flu patients. The worst thing that could happen? Keep the country locked down until too late, such that the spread occurs next fall, rather than in the summer. That from a virus standpoint, not even looking at the obvious economic devastation such a decision would create. From everything we have been told, it will be 1-3 years before we have a vaccine-waiting is not even a remotely viable option. Anyone with any common sense can see these points.

What is pathetic is that our media refuses to report any story about this virus that doesn't support their own "doom and gloom" scenarios that do the very most harm to the nation. And honestly-why would they. As they say in media, "if it bleeds, it leads". Bad news keeps people scared, tuning in to "news" sources...and boosting ad revenue. Good news, reporting on the less serious aspects of this bug...and rebuilding our economy actually hurts revenue for the MSM. To say nothing of being counter to their agenda of centralizing and empowering government at the expense of the people. The media likes their power to manipulate people and drive public policy. What they don't care about is the health of the nation-economic or otherwise. Have you noticed that all the blathering idiots in the media are somehow "essential businesses"?

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-26-2020 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-26-2020, 11:30 AM

1,745 posts, read 968,860 times
Quote:
I think the answer is obvious.

I do know the answer. It's politics. I'm an independent, so I have no particular reason to defend either Democrats or Republicans. I don't think Trump back in January should have referred to virus fears as a hoax. It was counter-productive and has come back to haunt him. I realize that the WHO totally dropped the ball on this, and the administration was acting on their false and unreliable information. However, I do fault Trump and his administration for not having better contingency plans. It seems to me most of February was a wasted opportunity to be better prepared. The fact that no country was prepared is no excuse for his lack of leadership in the early stages. I find little fault with his actions since mid-March, with the exception of his often times poor messaging. Let's face it, Trump blurts out some cringe worthy statements, something a more thoughtful politician wouldn't do. As a voter, when it comes right down to it, I base my support or opposition on what an elected leader actually does, and not so much on what he or she says. I expect results.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Good to see Texas once again exercising common sense. This bug isn't going to be stopped by a "lockdown"-NYC proved that. IF it were not especially contagious, and if infections were in line with what the "official" positive number shows (1 million cases out of a population of 330 million, or about .3%), maybe, just maybe, you could contain this with shelter in place orders. But as NYC has shown via antibody testing-20% of their population has been exposed in only a few weeks. Other locations that have done extensive antibody tests show similar results. This isn't going be contained by a lockdown-silly to think it would be. Lockdowns did as we were sold on them to do-flattened the curve so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. They won't STOP the bug.
New York City has been in lockdown and it did not stop the virus from spreading - and quite quickly at that. The lockdown policy did not perform the way that it was expected to. These infection numbers are WAY higher than what the experts thought there were or predicted.

Lesson learned: Shutdowns do not stop the spread of this virus. It is time to go another way. We cannot avoid it, we have to go through it.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:37 AM

48,716 posts, read 35,258,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Does anyone really trust the numbers coming out of Texas? They consistently have been at or near the bottom of testing, currently sitting at 47th out of 50 states. Only 0.9% of the population has been tested. Texas has rural counties with no doctor and closed rural hospitals.

Texas has had a long-standing problem with inaccurate and incomplete death certificates prior to COVID-19.

The case numbers and death stats coming out of Texas are likely under-reported in a significant way, which means their governor is making his reopening decisions based on incomplete data that hides the true severity of the pandemic there.

I'm not sure. I checked their percent positive on tests, and that indicates they are doing enough testing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies