Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 09:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,760,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Believe it or not, I was not born yet in 1918, or 102 years ago. Maybe you were there. I will take you at your word if you say that you were.

The local shutdowns you noted appear to be pretty limited and aside from the mention of the school shutdown in Dallas, not very specific at all. Pretty clearly this was nothing like the nearly nationwide, or even worldwide stay at home orders that most of us have been under lately.
Do people literally have to have experienced an event to be informed by it?

Fact remains:
A) there were previous shutdowns in TX for a pandemic.
B) there was a huge boomerang effect after the initial impact.
C) those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 10:00 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,556,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, our governor just imposed a new restriction where everyone shopping at grocery stores MUST wear a mask...if they do not, they will not be allowed to enter.

They wont be arrested, but they wont be able to go into the store either.
What state are you in? This is not what is happening in Texas, where wearing masks is recommended but not require, and enforcement of compliance is optional for the retailers, or if they are not enforcing it, then it is optional for the customers.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:01 PM

1,785 posts, read 962,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Well that’s an interesting way to interpret what I said. I’ll try to make my meaning explicit.

You said that people who didn’t feel safe going out could stay home.

I said I care about people other than myself. Yes, I can stay home. I’m lucky that my job lets me work at home. I care about the server who will be exposed to the general public. I care about the people who are just tired of being stuck at a home and want to walk around Northpark Mall. I care about the families they come home too. I care about my fellow human beings in general. Which is why I don’t just shrug and say “whatever, I can stay home.” Some people won’t stay home, and I hope they don’t get sick.

I have no idea where wearing masks and gloves came into it. I didn’t mention those and neither did you in prior posts.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the US population feels the same. Including me. I guess I just don't understand why that was your reply to something I posted. I never, ever said or implied that I didn't care about others. But whatever.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:11 PM

8,186 posts, read 3,735,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If you watched the press conference that I linked earlier, you would know that Governor Abbott stated plainly that the numbers will go up.

The goal now is to try to allow the virus to spread in a manageable fashion, since there is literally no way to stop it, in a way that allows anyone who needs medical care to get it and for the hospital system not to be overwhelmed. THAT is the goal, not avoiding the spread of the virus.
Yes, there is a way to stop it, you get the reproduction number below 1.0. The only strategy that has been shown to work is bring it down sufficiently, start relaxing the measures, but make sure it does not go above that value. And then math does it for you. Texas jumped the gun, mid May could have made some sense. My hope is that heat will help even though there no proof so far for that.

We are nowhere near herd immunity if it even exist for this virus, so the only way to "manage" it is with counter measures.

BTW, "saving the economy" will not happen if there is a big second wave. The opposite will unfold.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:33 AM

21,514 posts, read 10,636,139 times
Quote:
Well that’s an interesting way to interpret what I said. I’ll try to make my meaning explicit.

You said that people who didn’t feel safe going out could stay home.

I said I care about people other than myself. Yes, I can stay home. I’m lucky that my job lets me work at home. I care about the server who will be exposed to the general public. I care about the people who are just tired of being stuck at a home and want to walk around Northpark Mall. I care about the families they come home too. I care about my fellow human beings in general. Which is why I don’t just shrug and say “whatever, I can stay home.” Some people won’t stay home, and I hope they don’t get sick.

I have no idea where wearing masks and gloves came into it. I didn’t mention those and neither did you in prior posts.
Do you though? Sounds like you work from home so you’re all good, but that server probably has been clamoring to get back to work because he’s been getting half pay or no pay while this shut down has happened. Don’t feel sorry for them. Give them a nice tip and hope their jobs are safe.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
It is certainly true that I don’t have compassion for rich people who might be slightly less rich this year due to the economic shutdown. I have lots of compassion for people living paycheck to paycheck who are going to be sent back to work in hopes that their corporate overlords can avoid that “slightly less rich” scenario.

I have no power or authority. Your anger at “people like” me is misplaced. Take it to the voting booth.
So do you have sympathy for well off people who will be very much less well off if they lose their businesses and their employees who will no longer have any paychecks to live on because small businesses are out of business? The class envy of some people makes no sense. When was the last time a poor person hired you?

Old 04-29-2020, 12:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 9,600,742 times
How can anyone support going back to work, feeding their families, and paying their mortgages?

Jesus Christ, do people forget there’s 20+ million Americans without a job right now?

COVID is nothing compared to what starvation is going to do to other countries.
Quote:
The world is facing multiple famines of "biblical proportions" in just a matter of months, the UN has said, warning that the coronavirus pandemic will push an additional 130 million people to the brink of starvation.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/afric...ntl/index.html

Quick math, 130 million dead from starvation is more than 200K dead from the virus. Clearly folks who support lockdowns aren’t very good at math.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-29-2020 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 04-29-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, our governor just imposed a new restriction where everyone shopping at grocery stores MUST wear a mask...if they do not, they will not be allowed to enter.

They wont be arrested, but they wont be able to go into the store either.
Honestly I have no problem with that. The private business should also have the option not to allow people in without masks. But in our county the punishment for not wearing a mask is a $1,000 fine, but the local police are refusing to enforce it because the reasons I stated and they want to have good relations with the community they serve (and I’m sure they don’t want to have to tackle a bunch of people who refuse to wear masks).

Old 04-29-2020, 01:14 AM

33,341 posts, read 12,657,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Honestly I have no problem with that. The private business should also have the option not to allow people in without masks. But in our county the punishment for not wearing a mask is a $1,000 fine, but the local police are refusing to enforce it because the reasons I stated and they want to have good relations with the community they serve (and I’m sure they don’t want to have to tackle a bunch of people who refuse to wear masks).
I went to a different convenience store the next night (a few hours ago), that was about a mile away from the convenience store I mentioned in the other post (to see if they had an item that had been out of stock....they did, it was back in stock). When I pulled up, there was a patrol car (LEO) parked in the middle of the gay bays (the LEO could look directly at the door). I tied the same towel around my face, and entered the store. While I was inside, she (the LEO) came in and out and she wasn't wearing a mask (looked like the clerk from the other night was right about some LEOs in that area not wearing masks). After my purchase (the clerk was wearing a mask), I returned to my car. The same LEO went inside the store again (no mask). While she was inside, another LEO (this one from an ISD) pulled up in a SUV patrol vehicle and entered the store while the original LEO was leaving the store. This ISD LEO wasn't wearing a mask either.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I went to a different convenience store the next night (a few hours ago), that was about a mile away from the convenience store I mentioned in the other post (to see if they had an item that had been out of stock....they did, it was back in stock). When I pulled up, there was a patrol car (LEO) parked in the middle of the gay bays (the LEO could look directly at the door). I tied the same towel around my face, and entered the store. While I was inside, she (the LEO) came in and out and she wasn't wearing a mask (looked like the clerk from the other night was right about some LEOs in that area not wearing masks). After my purchase (the clerk was wearing a mask), I returned to my car. The same LEO went inside the store again (no mask). While she was inside, another LEO (this one from an ISD) pulled up in a SUV patrol vehicle and entered the store while the original LEO was leaving the store. This ISD LEO wasn't wearing a mask either.
Perhaps they already had coronavirus and recovered. I’d probably refuse to wear a mask in that case because it’s damn hot in those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies