Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 12:08 PM

866 posts, read 320,466 times

Advertisements

And yet somehow, despite an uptick in cases and hospitalizations the death count has not gone up.

A little common sense goes a long way. I own a bar and none of my bartenders have been infected. Other bars nearby have not bedn as fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 12:23 PM

1,781 posts, read 957,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
And yet somehow, despite an uptick in cases and hospitalizations the death count has not gone up.

A little common sense goes a long way. I own a bar and none of my bartenders have been infected. Other bars nearby have not bedn as fortunate.
Yes, I noticed that about the uptick in hospitalizations and not the deaths. I have been reading a Dallas area doctor’s blog and he wrote that 50% of the recent hospitalizations here are those under 50 years of age so I think what is happening is that younger people are getting infected at a higher rate and are requiring hospitalization but recovering.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
It is more than an uptick, and people typically survive for some time in the hospital. They are put in respirators, and kept alive until there is nothing more to be done. It surprises me people are still trying to convince themselves there isn't much to worry about, and its obviously due to the mixed messages coming from the politicians.

There is not going to be another shut-down, but people should be kept informed of the risk and how to minimize the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Yes, I noticed that about the uptick in hospitalizations and not the deaths. I have been reading a Dallas area doctor’s blog and he wrote that 50% of the recent hospitalizations here are those under 50 years of age so I think what is happening is that younger people are getting infected at a higher rate and are requiring hospitalization but recovering.
That may well be true, but they will infect older people who wont survive it, plus they eat up hospital resources.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:35 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,285,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is more than an uptick, and people typically survive for some time in the hospital. They are put in respirators, and kept alive until there is nothing more to be done. It surprises me people are still trying to convince themselves there isn't much to worry about, and its obviously due to the mixed messages coming from the politicians.

There is not going to be another shut-down, but people should be kept informed of the risk and how to minimize the risk.

That may well be true, but they will infect older people who wont survive it, plus they eat up hospital resources.
I hate the masks, but it doesn’t take much effort to wear one. It’s common courtesy. Everyone needs to just wear them.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:37 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I hate the masks, but it doesn’t take much effort to wear one. It’s common courtesy. Everyone needs to just wear them.
And if more people thought like you, we would be seeing less spread.

I don't anyone likes to wear a mask. It sucks.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-24-2020, 12:44 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,813,038 times
Quote:

We learned in NY that the death count lags cases and hospitalization. Right now hospitalizations are way up. in your state. Don't know how common it is for them to be admitting adults to TX Children's to deal with the numbers.

Hopefully things will work out better for you than they did for us. You have the luxury of having watched this play out for several months.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
We learned in NY that the death count lags cases and hospitalization. Right now hospitalizations are way up. in your state. Don't know how common it is for them to be admitting adults to TX Children's to deal with the numbers.

Hopefully things will work out better for you than they did for us. You have the luxury of having watched this play out for several months.
Yes, it's true that deaths count lags hospitalizations but we started to open up on May 1st so I guess I was expecting to see the death counts rise more by now. You are right that we have the benefit of better timing than the East coast and it also appears that our younger population is getting hit more than anyone else so we'll see how that all plays out. I just hope they keep their distance from their older loved ones.

I'm not really doing anything differently yet, just keep wearing my mask when going out, washing my hands and using hand sanitizer all the time and am staying away from crowds.

I did recently fly for the first time since March 6th. It was just a quick 38 minute flight but it was a bit surreal. I don't think I could last on a plane more than 2 hours with a mask so I won't be going anywhere too far away in the near future.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:20 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,813,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Yes, it's true that deaths count lags hospitalizations but we started to open up on May 1st so I guess I was expecting to see the death counts rise more by now. You are right that we have the benefit of better timing than the East coast and it also appears that our younger population is getting hit more than anyone else so we'll see how that all plays out. I just hope they keep their distance from their older loved ones.

I'm not really doing anything differently yet, just keep wearing my mask when going out, washing my hands and using hand sanitizer all the time and am staying away from crowds.

I did recently fly for the first time since March 6th. It was just a quick 38 minute flight but it was a bit surreal. I don't think I could last on a plane more than 2 hours with a mask so I won't be going anywhere too far away in the near future.
Yes, that is probably true about the younger population there. We had some young to middle-aged people hospitalized but the majority were older, although I think the way it was classified here anyone over 50 was considered old. Yikes!

I am very fortunate to be able to work from home for a long time, possibly until there's a vaccine. Although our numbers are way down I also avoid crowds. I try to get out for long walks everyday, to the beach whenever possible. I am lucky to live in a less densely populated area where I can do this and see very few people. I rarely go to stores.

Stay well, and I hope your outcomes are better than ours.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Yes, that is probably true about the younger population there. We had some young to middle-aged people hospitalized but the majority were older, although I think the way it was classified here anyone over 50 was considered old. Yikes!

I am very fortunate to be able to work from home for a long time, possibly until there's a vaccine. Although our numbers are way down I also avoid crowds. I try to get out for long walks everyday, to the beach whenever possible. I am lucky to live in a less densely populated area where I can do this and see very few people. I rarely go to stores.

Stay well, and I hope your outcomes are better than ours.
Thank you. Me too!

Unfortunately we can only control our own actions. Hopefully the idiots not taking the proper precautions will get with the program.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:57 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,536,905 times
Governor Abbott announced that elective surgeries would be temporarily banned in Harris (Houston), Bexar (San Antonio), Dallas and Travis (Austin) counties in order to keep hospital beds available for coronavirus patients. None of the reopening phases already allowed are being reversed, but the anticipated future relaxation of capacity restrictions on some businesses has been paused.

Quote:
Gov. Greg Abbott pauses Texas' reopening, bans elective surgeries in four counties to preserve bed space for coronavirus patients

Gov. Greg Abbott announced Thursday morning that he will pause any further phases of reopening Texas and that he is once again putting a stop to elective surgeries to preserve bed space for coronavirus patients in certain counties that are seeing a surge of COVID-19 cases.

Abbott's latest action does not reverse any of the reopening phases he's already allowed — meaning that bars, restaurants, malls, bowling alleys and other businesses are still allowed to remain open with some capacity limitations.

“The last thing we want to do as a state is go backwards and close down businesses, " he wrote in a Thursday press release, but the "pause will help our state corral the spread."

The latest ban on elective procedures applies to Bexar, Dallas, Harris and Travis counties, which have seen a rapid increase in the number of patients hospitalized with the virus.
This is what responsible governance looks like. The capacity for nuance and the application of specifically tailored policies for regions that require them, while allowing those that don't to function normally and without restriction.

A light hand, rather than the heavy, domineering, excessive, intolerant, one-size-fits-all that less responsible governors have advocated and appear to still support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies