Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 02:51 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I’m just glad I’m not a doctor or nurse in Texas. Maybe they will show some backbone and go on strike when things get out of control a few weeks from now. After all, they will be the ones paying the price for the stupidity of the politicians.
The whole point of shutting down was to flatten the curve, and to make the necessary arrangements to handle the influx of patients.

That has happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 02:52 PM

558 posts, read 299,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
We’ve been stuck at home for the most part since mid-March, unless we had to go to the store or have family that work at the store or some other essential business. One would assume that even if people aren’t getting as many tests we’d still recognize if there was a huge influx of people in emergency rooms and morgues were this thing a big problem. If it is problem that people weren’t getting tested but rode it out at home then we will be more on our way to herd immunity. Testing was pretty good here in Harris County (Houston) and in Dallas County (Dallas), Travis (Austin) and Bexar County (San Antonio), but some of the other counties weren’t as good. They are small enough to recognize if a lot of people suddenly need hospitalization or die, so I think it’s safe to assume we will be alright.
I hope you are right. I've been staying in place since March 9. Other than grocery shopping and daily walk I've been home 23+ hours a day.

We won't reopen here for a few more weeks, maybe longer. We've have been hit pretty hard, but not like NYC. My county has 800k residents, 3700 cases and 220 deaths. The rate is slowing but still around 100 new cases per day.

It will be time to celebrate when we all get to the other side.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 8,683 times
This feels haphazard and political and not based around much science, and we lack the tools to deal with the issues if the experiment fails.

Travis County shelter-in-place has resulted in a 90% decrease of COVID. That has kept hospitals under capacity. It sounds amazing.

But just a drop to 80% decrease - 10% less effective shelter-in-place - will exceed current hospital capacity.

I really don't think Abbott cares about any of this. He wants to open up for political reasons. He's never cared about retail or service workers in the past as evidenced by Texas's super-weak employee protections and $7.25 minimum wage.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:09 PM

1,768 posts, read 567,655 times
Well, at least he says they'll look at the numbers in two weeks and adjust if needed.

Nothing in his press conference about what businesses must do to keep employees safe.
Nothing about whether employees can get sick leave if they catch the virus or test positive.
He was asked about how the 25% capacity limit would be monitored and hemmed and hawed - which means it's all lip service.

It's all about kicking people off unemployment rolls and ensuring the commercial landlords collect rents.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:09 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat food View Post
This feels haphazard and political and not based around much science, and we lack the tools to deal with the issues if the experiment fails.

Travis County shelter-in-place has resulted in a 90% decrease of COVID. That has kept hospitals under capacity. It sounds amazing.

But just a drop to 80% decrease - 10% less effective shelter-in-place - will exceed current hospital capacity.

I really don't think Abbott cares about any of this. He wants to open up for political reasons. He's never cared about retail or service workers in the past as evidenced by Texas's super-weak employee protections and $7.25 minimum wage.
You mean like how all the libs want to stay closed for political reasons?

Old 04-27-2020, 03:13 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Well, at least he says they'll look at the numbers in two weeks and adjust if needed.

Nothing in his press conference about what businesses must do to keep employees safe.
Nothing about whether employees can get sick leave if they catch the virus or test positive.
He was asked about how the 25% capacity limit would be monitored and hemmed and hawed - which means it's all lip service.

It's all about kicking people off unemployment rolls and ensuring the commercial landlords collect rents.

Texas is not a very "employee Friendly" state from all accounts. Just numbers on a graph. Reckless leadership considering texas is near the bottom of the list on citizens tested.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:14 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post

Wrong! He just trusts that these businesses have the brains to figure this stuff out on their own. You know, like all the “essential” businesses have already done! Good Lord you people are something else. It’s like you need the Government to tell you how to do everything. It’s not rocket science you know.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:26 PM

1,742 posts, read 958,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The whole point of shutting down was to flatten the curve, and to make the necessary arrangements to handle the influx of patients.

That has happened.
You are absolutely right. The point of the shutdown was NEVER to get to the point of zero infections, or to wait until a vaccine. For people to argue that now is ridiculous.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:28 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
You are absolutely right. The point of the shutdown was NEVER to get to the point of zero infections, or to wait until a vaccine. For people to argue that now is ridiculous.
They are trying to move the goalposts. This is part of their regular behavior pattern. They do this all the time.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:34 PM

8,132 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
They are trying to move the goalposts. This is part of their regular behavior pattern. They do this all the time.
The goal is to reduce the Rt below 1.0 and to keep it there while relaxing the measures. Was the current best estimate for Texas mentioned, is there a prediction how much increase to expect with the first phase? (I'm actually asking, I didn't listen to the whole thing).

One estimate I've seen previously is 0.9 as of 4/13
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies