Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 08:12 AM

1,781 posts, read 955,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
I care about people other than myself. Some people don’t seem to be able to grasp the concept of caring about people other than themselves.

I don’t know what will happen as we reopen. I hope Abbott is right and the numbers won’t go up. I think his recommendations to keep people safer in the re-opening are reasonable and don’t see why they couldn’t have been mandates. There are already regulations in place regarding restaurants and I don’t see anyone fighting for the right to have hair and mouse droppings in their food.

It my be moot. For my workplace, the insurance company has already told us our policy doesn’t cover viruses so if we reopen, get people sick, and get sued, we are SOL. I figure that will influence decisions more than Abbott’s order.
So now people who go out wearing a mask and gloves and maintain the proper social distancing only care about themselves? Got it. Phaleez. So many martyrs out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 08:33 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
I care about people other than myself. Some people don’t seem to be able to grasp the concept of caring about people other than themselves.

I don’t know what will happen as we reopen. I hope Abbott is right and the numbers won’t go up. I think his recommendations to keep people safer in the re-opening are reasonable and don’t see why they couldn’t have been mandates. There are already regulations in place regarding restaurants and I don’t see anyone fighting for the right to have hair and mouse droppings in their food.

It my be moot. For my workplace, the insurance company has already told us our policy doesn’t cover viruses so if we reopen, get people sick, and get sued, we are SOL. I figure that will influence decisions more than Abbott’s order.
If you care about others over yourself, do you advocate "mandating" the elimination of all cars? Shutting down every year for 4 months during flu season?

They are recommendations instead of mandates because we still live in a free country.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Did you listen to the press conference?

Abbott made it very clear his order supersedes any local orders and that no city may impose stricter orders.

Some of the “shoulds” I am referring to (that you are so horrified by despite not knowing) are things like restaurants keeping tables 6 feet apart, using disposable menus so they aren’t touched by every person, having hand sanitizer available. But I guess we need the freedom to touch a menu someone else sneezed on after you waited three hours for chain restaurant food because this is Amurruca!
I don’t need a menu. I’ll be dining on the patio. Social distancing from others or I won’t be dining.

Hopefully we have learned how to do things correctly without government mandates.

I’m thinking this will not be the health disaster some think because voluntary social distancing was already occurring before government shutdowns and will continue.

I also don’t think the reopenings will boost the economy near as much as it’s supporters think due to voluntary social distancing.

My wife is a diabetic with chronic kidney disease I won’t take any chances. There are tens of millions of Americans who or old or have a chronic condition or live with someone who does.

Last edited by whogo; 04-28-2020 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-28-2020, 08:36 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
So now people who go out wearing a mask and gloves and maintain the proper social distancing only care about themselves? Got it. Phaleez. So many martyrs out there.
Well that’s an interesting way to interpret what I said. I’ll try to make my meaning explicit.

You said that people who didn’t feel safe going out could stay home.

I said I care about people other than myself. Yes, I can stay home. I’m lucky that my job lets me work at home. I care about the server who will be exposed to the general public. I care about the people who are just tired of being stuck at a home and want to walk around Northpark Mall. I care about the families they come home too. I care about my fellow human beings in general. Which is why I don’t just shrug and say “whatever, I can stay home.” Some people won’t stay home, and I hope they don’t get sick.

I have no idea where wearing masks and gloves came into it. I didn’t mention those and neither did you in prior posts.

17,602 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:

Your fear over a virus with a mortality rate less than 0.05% does not equate to more compassion than other people who disagree with your unreasonable fear. It's pretty clear you have zero compassion for the millions of people whose lives are being economically ruined by the unreasonable fear and panic being propagated by the government and people like you.

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What other pandemic are you referring to where we resorted to a shutdown? I am not remembering that one somehow.

Yes, Texas will certainly get an increase in cases by opening back up. But as long as the health system can to even a reasonable degree handle the load, then that is what should happen.

As we saw in New York during their lock-down, this disease will spread, people are going to get this disease, and some of those will sadly die. As we have seen in New York and elsewhere, cowering in fear does not stop that from happening and NONE of your so-called "experts" has ever suggested that it will.

We have been given time to learn, adapt and prepare during these shutdowns. Now we are as ready as we are going to be. Just like with every other virus, we will do the best that we can. But life for the masses must go on.
Wow, really?

Austin:
“Over the summer, as the disease appeared to wane, the local media referred to the flu jokingly, almost derisively. Yet during the second wave of illness, in October of that year, as local soldiers and civilians became ill in the thousands and two-figure death tolls were reported sometimes daily, the Austin City Council finally acted.

Mayor A.P. Wooldridge, with the backing of council members and the city attorney, effectively shut the city down for almost a month.”

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...r-almost-month

Dallas:
“The city’s chief physician during the 1918 outbreak was Dr. A.W. Carnes. He was old school, a member of a generation of clinicians who believed sanatoriums and fresh air could cure tuberculosis. Viruses were still a new discovery, and doctors had little understanding of how they spread.

For weeks, Carnes hesitated to take drastic action and told residents to focus on keeping the city clean. It was wartime, and Carnes allowed the "Liberty Loan" parade to go on. Thousands gathered in the streets while the virus raged. Eventually, Carnes agreed to close the city’s theaters but objected to closing schools, which he argued were safer for children because they were "well ventilated." They remained open for weeks until the mayor ordered them closed in response to public outrage, overriding the recommendation of his own Board of Health.”

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...-died-11887693

El Paso:
“In El Paso, east-west railroad traffic and the routine rotation of troops at Fort Bliss carried the disease to the Southwestern desert, an area generally noted for its healthfulness. On September 30, 1918, El Paso papers casually noted that some people in the city had the flu, but the situation worsened daily.

The city's board of health ordered the closing of all schools, churches, theaters, lodges, pool halls and other public places. In addition, soldiers at Fort Bliss were essentially confined to the post, forbidden to pass beyond the intersection of Overland and El Paso streets.”

1918 Flu and the 1918 Flu Epidemic in Texas.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If you care about others over yourself, do you advocate "mandating" the elimination of all cars? Shutting down every year for 4 months during flu season?

They are recommendations instead of mandates because we still live in a free country.
Are there recommendations to eliminate all cars and shut down every year for 4 months?

I think a better analogy would be, should car safety standards be recommendations or mandates. Should you be able to buy a car without airbags or seatbelts or crumple zones because you have the right to die in a car crash if you want to?

Should restaurants be able to not have hand washing stations, leave perishables and room temperature and not control bugs and rodents and let the market decide after word gets out that people get sick eating there?

Should you be able to buy milk that is really just watery chalk or should there be FDA regulations.

Personally I don’t see temporary mandates during a crisis as a horrific infringement on our right to endanger ourselves but I’m sure others do.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Your fear over a virus with a mortality rate less than 0.05% does not equate to more compassion than other people who disagree with your unreasonable fear. It's pretty clear you have zero compassion for the millions of people whose lives are being economically ruined by the unreasonable fear and panic being propagated by the government and people like you.
It is certainly true that I don’t have compassion for rich people who might be slightly less rich this year due to the economic shutdown. I have lots of compassion for people living paycheck to paycheck who are going to be sent back to work in hopes that their corporate overlords can avoid that “slightly less rich” scenario.

I have no power or authority. Your anger at “people like” me is misplaced. Take it to the voting booth.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
If Texas wants to experiment on the people with herd immunity they better order more ventilators soon.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:12 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
People ARE going to be exposed with or without a lockdown. We've learned that with NYC, where 25% of the population has been exposed, infected and developed antibodies. This, in spite of a lockdown. And with the vast majority of those never even knowing they had it. A "lockdown" isn't stopping this thing, not with that kind of spread.

Given that we're going to be exposed-a smart person would want to be exposed in the summer. Sunlight drops the half-life of this bug from 18 hours to 2 minutes-meaning any exposure will be much less intense, and logically, a case should be much milder (or asymptomatic). We want to be exposed in the spring/summer, when our immune systems are strongest. And we if we have to be hospitalized-we want it in summer when hospitals aren't full of flu patients-not in winter when our immune systems are at the weakest.

A vaccine is nothing more than a controlled, low-level exposure to the virus, to trigger an antibody response. A vaccine doesn't protect you-your own antibodies do. Now-this is no different than an "environmental" exposure to the virus-other than that the level can be somewhat controlled with vaccine. Now, common sense says if we don't develop "herd immunity" from exposure to the virus-we'll never have an effective vaccine. And if we do, given the infectiousness of this bug, by the time the vaccine is developed, we'll already have been exposed and won't need it.
The 25% limit is just window dressing for Governor Abbott and the political leaders in Texas to be able to cover their behinds.

We have all been going to the grocery store the entire time. Everyone handles the produce. They touch it, feel it, caress it, transferring whatever germs and viruses that they have onto the produce. Also the cans, bottles, bags and boxes. The little checkout screen you put your credit card in - in many places you have to touch it - again, transferring everything. Also the little pen that you grab, the gasoline pump handle, etc.

And that does not even take into account the transmission by air - even if the capacity in the grocery stores is limited to only 25% - as it has been for weeks now (which has not caused anyone to have to wait to get in, as far as I have seen) - this is a transmission hub for the transmission of the virus that is far more effective than any movie theater or hair salon.

And these have been our conditions under lockdown.

Governor Abbott is being careful, as I and most other Texans knew that he would be. This plan is likely to be the model for most of the rest of the country. Watch and see.

Regardless, there is no stopping this thing. For those people who want to cower in fear, whimpering and wringing their hands, trying to mollify themselves by trying to inspire others to join them in their cowardice, that is up to them. But for the rest of us, life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies