Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 07:20 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I grew up in predominantly White areas much of my life and I've rarely come across the "self-loathing" type of Whites. I've come across a few, but it has often been rare.

I've come across anger and condescension, but it wasn't in the context of "self loathing whites". The persons who were often condescending and angry were racist towards me (or rather Blacks in general). I also went to middle school and high school in a part of Georgia where some individuals still fly Confederate flags and believe in the "Lost Cause" myth.

The way I see it, how could Portland be any worse than the part of Georgia I lived in during middle school and high school?

Same here, I've come across some who are more empathetic and or more likely to not sweep racism under a rug. As far as those who are truly "apologists" for being white? Very very rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 07:25 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
As a centrist, I want to ask something: Is there really a such thing as a "safe space?" Don't all spaces have the potential to be invaded?

Old 04-27-2020, 07:32 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Do you know for sure?

I'm Black and this is a subject that has just never come up among Blacks and other minorities I've talked to. I've never really given the subject of said persons much thought. I do find man buns kind of stupid. Strangely, in the Atlanta area, I've seen a few Black men try to pull of the man bun. I kid you not.
Shout out to Joaquim Noah!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2020, 07:40 AM

30,352 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
In terms of "escaping whiteness", there is one thing that needs to be defined: What is "whiteness"?
Whiteness is the culture that developed most of the world's technology the last 1000 years....like blackness, it has its share of plusses and minuses.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:20 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
So Multnomah county is creating segregated safe places for their Sallies.

I thought we fought to end segregation. I dont understand what is going on.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:26 PM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
As a Portland taxpayer, what I most resent about this is that I'm paying the salary and benefits for someone to be an "Equity Officer" in the Emergency Operations Center. Must be nice work if you can get it.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:39 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Racists are insufferable. So are self-loathing whites. So it sounds to me like Portland and the part of Georgia that you grew up in were both laden with insufferable people.
I'm not fond of the self-loathing types. I look at them more as stupid. They annoy me alot. At the same time, I also don't think about them very much. One of the reasons I think about people who were openly racist towards me, is because of outright hostility towards me. What I get from a self-loathing White person is not open hostility towards me, but stupidity.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Same here, I've come across some who are more empathetic and or more likely to not sweep racism under a rug. As far as those who are truly "apologists" for being white? Very very rare.
People who have empathy, who will acknowledge that racism is an issue, I have respect for those persons. Having empathy is respectable and a good thing. White guilt/self loathing, that is just stupidity. I've come across those types, but it has been a rarity. I view said persons as just being stupid. It's not scoring any points with Black people.

I think about this as well. There are some Black people who seem to be apologists for being Black (albeit, most of those types aren't out there protesting, therefore, not drawing alot of attention). I think about the Larry Elders and Jesse Lee Petersons of the world. I notice that those who talk about self-loathing Whites have little to say about Blacks who have similar attitudes.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Shout out to Joaquim Noah!!!!!!
I had to look him up to figure out who he was (I watch baseball, and haven't watch much basketball since the SuperSonics left for OKC). I immediately though of French tennis player Yannick Noah. I found out Joakim Noah is the son of Yannick Noah. NBA player Joakim Noah is of Black-French and Swedish descent. He's mixed and his hair texture is different.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:57 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
People who have empathy, who will acknowledge that racism is an issue, I have respect for those persons. Having empathy is respectable and a good thing. White guilt/self loathing, that is just stupidity. I've come across those types, but it has been a rarity. I view said persons as just being stupid. It's not scoring any points with Black people.

I think about this as well. There are some Black people who seem to be apologists for being Black (albeit, most of those types aren't out there protesting, therefore, not drawing alot of attention). I think about the Larry Elders and Jesse Lee Petersons of the world. I notice that those who talk about self-loathing Whites have little to say about Blacks who have similar attitudes.
Larry Elder doesn't come off to me as being a self-hating black person. He's been on the local AM talk radio here for years and I've listened to him a few times over the years. He's too far to the right for my tastes but I respect his views on a few subjects. The guy is really big into personal responsibility and he's talked extensively about some of the issues in the black community and he takes people to task when they pull the racism / racist card without good cause.

This idea of escaping "whiteness" is truly offensive and does nothing but drive wedges between people. People need to get along and be civil and treat each other with basic respect as much as we can.

Here in So Cal, at Cal State LA, they had segregated housing for black and non-white students only. I feel like it's a move backwards and isn't the right direction for our country.

It's not a good message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies