Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 09:48 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,916,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is just not going to happen. We haven't figured out an effective way to teach everything online yet. Especially at the university level, we are very far from having decent online education.
The schools who are new to it are learning as they go with the online teaching. I have a grandchild doing this now at the college level. Very busy with school work and not at all concerned about doing it online. Likewise my son completed a master's degree totally online over the course of several years while working fulltime and taking care of house and family. It is not a new concept for college level work.

Not so sure it can be as successful for lower elementary students. They need socialization and need to learn how to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I disagree. I think the vaccine will be out in the short term and change the way we look at this virus. Vaccines are in trial right now and we could see one as early as 2021.
I hope you realize that the early stages of vaccine testing is to be sure it doesn't harm or kill the patient. The actual vaccine media (for lack of a better term) doesn't come until later.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:52 PM

8,293 posts, read 3,783,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
There's that and then the truth is, not all classes are meant to be done remotely. Some classes should be AT LEAST hybrid (e.g. math classes and most science classes)
This works for elementary and high school... but not for colleges/universities where classes play a very small part.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Vaccines are only vaccines in name only.

Even the CDC says its own flu vaccine is only about 40% to 60% effective and they've been tinkering with that thing since inception (WWII).
Exactly. With a 40% to 60% effective rate, we'll be in a much better place to go back to the new normal.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:58 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/balajis/s...17347646144513

Does that mean we have to social distance forever?

Does that mean sporting events, concerts, movie theaters, gyms, dine in restaurants, shopping etc will have to close permanently?

Does that mean schools and universities will be online Permanently

Would you be ok with this?
Some of these are very likely, I think 'pro sporting events' are done (in the way we know them anyway) Even if the stadiums were allowed to re open, I dont think many fans would be willing to sit that close to one another.

Even when Covid19 is done and gone, people will still fear the NEXT virus, so I do think social distancing is here to stay, people have already gotten used to it from what Ive been seeing.

They are probably right, this has changed the world drastically, people will adapt and get used to the new ways though, it only takes about 3 weeks for people to acclimate to something new.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I hope you realize that the early stages of vaccine testing is to be sure it doesn't harm or kill the patient. The actual vaccine media (for lack of a better term) doesn't come until later.
Everything I've read says it would be 12-18 months for when it would land.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The schools who are new to it are learning as they go with the online teaching. I have a grandchild doing this now at the college level. Very busy with school work and not at all concerned about doing it online. Likewise my son completed a master's degree totally online over the course of several years while working fulltime and taking care of house and family. It is not a new concept for college level work.

Not so sure it can be as successful for lower elementary students. They need socialization and need to learn how to learn.
Online education at the college level won't work if it is 100% online. Most of the college education comes from outside of classroom work -- spending time with professors and PhD students and helping with research and publications. At least for undergrad and masters level. When it comes to PhD level, it's a whole different experience (obviously).

A lot of low quality schools (diploma mills, rather) will just let you take classes for credit without the real education opportunities. This happens in many B&M schools as well... and is not limited to online programs.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:29 PM

21,422 posts, read 10,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
All experts are wrong. And you know far more than they do about their areas of specialty. Aren't we lucky to have you here with us.

Well, maybe your cognitive decline doesn't allow you to recall the Crash of 2001 or the 2008 meltdown but a lot of us still do! BTW, in five weeks we lost three times as many jobs as in the entire Great Recession.

Now explain to us that's it's all because of the media. We're waiting.
No it’s because of China, but the media sure has generated a lot of fear.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Online education at the college level won't work if it is 100% online. Most of the college education comes from outside of classroom work -- spending time with professors and PhD students and helping with research and publications. At least for undergrad and masters level. When it comes to PhD level, it's a whole different experience (obviously).

A lot of low quality schools (diploma mills, rather) will just let you take classes for credit without the real education opportunities. This happens in many B&M schools as well... and is not limited to online programs.
Re bolded: that was not my experience at college, then again I went to a state college many years ago. Maybe the ivy league schools with research departments and grants are different. A lot depends on what kind of college you can afford to go to and what major you are pursuing.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:54 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Everything I've read says it would be 12-18 months for when it would land.
Thats IF they can find and develop a vaccine, 12-18 months would be the earliest one would become available, meaning they got VERY lucky.

*Just keep in mind, Govt is trying to keep people hopeful in anyway they can right now, so I wouldnt exactly trust everything they say at this point, (there is probably a whole lot they are not telling us).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies