Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 03:53 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
The media is in overkill mode on Covid. I've always said since February that this is overhyped. But I guess the sky's falling for the sheep.
This is such a nonsensical claim.

The media [cue your boogeyman voice here] isn't the entity which has made the dire claims about COVID-19. The media simply reports what is being stated by experts in the field. And, no, President Genial-Grabber and noted drug addict and convicted prescription forger Rush Limbaugh are not experts on much of anything (except bankruptcy and blathering, respectively).

Dr. Michael Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. That's an expert. He's estimated hundreds of thousands of fatalities in the United States. Imperial College London produced a study showing 2.2 million deaths in the United States absent mitigation. That's news. When those respected entities come forward with those estimates, it would be sheer malpractice for it not to be the lead in every news report in the country. Hell, even the administration - Trump himself! - has asserted that keeping deaths in the U.S. below 100,000 (far higher than any flu season in many decades) would be a best-case scenario. Why aren't you whining about Trump being 'in overkill mode'? Oh -- and it's obvious by this point (to anyone who isn't chugging the Kool-Aid - or the disinfectant) that we're going to blow well past 100,000.

Those are just two of the noted experts in the field who have asserted publicly that COVID-19 is a pandemic orders of magnitude beyond what the world has seen in decades. Yet you're whining that the media covers those experts? Hello? How does that make a lick of sense? I mean, beyond flogging your favorite boogeyman?

As for what you've been saying Dean, here's a sample:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
All this talk of the corona virus. For the past 20 or so years, we've seen the Y2K scare, sars, bird flu, ebola and now covid. Every year there's an epidemic. Where is the end?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57541733-post72.html

You actually compared the 2014 ebola outbreak - which killed one (one!) person in the United States - with COVID-19, which has killed now killed 55,000+ people here.

And you're bragging about what you've 'always said' on this topic...

Old 04-26-2020, 05:26 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Thank you 2 x3.
Well asserted . Appreciate your post sincerely.

Sometimes I think the magnitude of ignorance is a pandemic in and of itself. Thankfully we have experts willing to slow that human malady

Old 04-26-2020, 05:43 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
But one would have needed a crystal ball to know that ahead of time...Now we know and it's time to change the plan.
On the other hand, Victim No. 1, the New Rochelle lawyer (won't out him) was on ventilator for three weeks and is now recovering. But he was 50.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:49 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Those are just two of the noted experts in the field who have asserted publicly that COVID-19 is a pandemic orders of magnitude beyond what the world has seen in decades. Yet you're whining that the media covers those experts? Hello? How does that make a lick of sense? I mean, beyond flogging your favorite boogeyman?
If you and they are right what do we do?
  1. Freeze;
  2. Panic;
  3. Cry;
  4. Some combination thereof; or
  5. Have life go on as best as possible?

Old 04-26-2020, 05:53 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Hard to see a clear counterfactual. This may be overblown, but since the Chinese government started the lie train, it’s hard to know. It’s going to take at least a year or two to know while we sort out ultimate death rates, transmission methods, etc.

Personally I think it was prudent, but that’s easy for me to say since I have an essential job. I’m taking the precautions not for myself, but for my parents and my wife who all have some risk factors.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:31 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari_Warrior_Danju View Post
NONE of you new Quarantine Gestapo/Pandemic Extremist types would be even calling for it. There would the birth of your ilk. However, since the media has scared you to death, installed fear, panic, paranoia into your hearts. And have used trendy words like "FLATTEN THE CURVE", "SOCIAL DISTANCING", "STOP THE SPREAD", #STAYHOME, which made all this a cultural trend, you're all jumping on right now.

Lets argue.
"Flatten the curve" is a term the experts use. It's what happens after the curve hits its apex. "Curve" is a term the experts use, also. This is normal pandemic talk among experts. Maybe you should read up on pandemics.

It would help if you'd listen to the experts. I haven't heard any media giving pressers to give their suggestions on what the country should do. When did you hear this? What media people were saying this?

The media that I watch is just presenting those paid pundits (who aren't media), the experts (doctors, scientists), and of course the governors speaking of their states, and Trump with his gang.

People are just trying to control the pandemic as best they can. Be helpful, rather than hostile, maybe?

If you want to know what happens when countries do or don't shut down, I'm sure you can research that on the internet, both current...and for prior pandemics. There were some big epidemics in the Middle Ages, as well. So you can research whether businesses shut down then, or not. This is what the experts have done & cont. to do. (We had a world class pandemic team, but Trump fired them. All this could have been avoidable. Oh, well. Tax cuts.)

Old 04-26-2020, 08:47 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If you and they are right what do we do?
  1. Freeze;
  2. Panic;
  3. Cry;
  4. Some combination thereof; or
  5. Have life go on as best as possible?
5 of course. But everyone's definition of that can be different. Until we develop herd immunity via a vaccine, the main objective is to keep this under control. Everyone knows people will catch the virus and some will die. What we're trying to avoid is having mass infection that overwhelms medical services and causes total deaths to skyrocket. Flattening the curve is just that, steadying the numbers so that there isn't a spike. I think social distancing measure and masks will be in place for a while, maybe until a vaccine is developed. Economy will open too but with these measure in place.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:40 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:

Dr. Michael Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. That's an expert. He's estimated hundreds of thousands of fatalities in the ...

Those estimates were made early on (shots fired!) when it looked like the death rate from CoViD was 10%. Now we know the rate is more like 0.5%-- so 150,000 expected deaths IF everyone were to get infected. Herd immunity will dominate when the infection rate is around 60-70% and fewer people will continue to get infected, so even fewer people will die.

Quote:
On the other hand, Victim No. 1, the New Rochelle lawyer (won't out him) was on ventilator for three weeks and is now recovering. But he was 50.

That's the problem when dealing with these matters: medical decisions should be made on an individual basis, but public health decisions have to be made on the basis of statistics as they apply to the group and not the individual.

Probabilities are "an area under the curve" (a 2 dimensional object) while the individual is a single point under the curve (a 0 dimensional object). Statistics NEVER apply to the individual. A .300 hitter can't get 3/10ths of a hit in THIS At Bat, not can a single patient only die 0.5% of the way.

The other day, they had that usual doc on Fox News criticizing the early opening of things-- "they're practicing 1950s style medicine when they advocated for "Measles Parties."....Maybe so, but then sheltering is practicing 1300s style "avoid The Plague" style.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:42 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:

Dr. Michael Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. That's an expert. He's estimated hundreds of thousands of fatalities in the ...

Those estimates were made early on (shots fired!) when it looked like the death rate from CoViD was 10%. Now we know the rate is more like 0.5%-- so 150,000 expected deaths IF everyone were to get infected. Herd immunity will dominate when the infection rate is around 60-70% and fewer people will continue to get infected, so even fewer people will die.

Quote:

That's the problem when dealing with these matters: medical decisions should be made on an individual basis, but public health decisions have to be made on the basis of statistics as they apply to the group and not the individual.

Probabilities are "an area under the curve" (a 2 dimensional object) while the individual is a single point under the curve (a 0 dimensional object). Statistics NEVER apply to the individual. A .300 hitter can't get 3/10ths of a hit in THIS At Bat, nor can a single patient only die 0.5% of the way.

The other day, they had that usual doc on Fox News criticizing the early opening of things-- "they're practicing 1950s style medicine when they advocated for "Measles Parties."....Maybe so, but then sheltering is practicing 1300s style "avoid The Plague" medicine.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:42 AM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
0.5% is more like 1.7 million, not 150,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies