Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 04:55 AM

16,019 posts, read 6,766,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, conservatism has changed by moving further and further to the right.

They left behind the center, which has been claimed and occupied by the liberals.

Case in point, universal healthcare was a Republican idea. First adopted by a Republican governor. It's a good centrist policy. Then the Republicans moved further to the right and thought UHC is evil. Fine, Democrats took it and now UHC is a Democratic thing.

Why they keep moving toward the extreme right? I would be interested to hear people's theory.
Like it or hate it,the following is only my opinion:

Born ,raised ,worked, retired American.
From a family of farmers ,Coal miners and construction workers.
Blue collar as it gets.
First born son of first generation immigrants to this beautiful country.
Family never took a handout. To proud. Worked and paid our way for everything.
From layaway plans to Christmas Clubs to coupons and gas stickers.
Voted Democrat as a young man following in my father's footsteps to support the working man.
As a middle aged man became a landlord as a result of hard work.
I learned about running my property and became a Republican.
As I grew older I learned that some property owners want to squeeze more out of their tenants.
As I grew older I learned that some tenants did not want to pay their rent.
I sold my property. Purchased my own home. Paid it off in full. Worry only about my family and my community.
I became a Conservative. Proudest moment of my life. Best wishes to all. God Bless you and may God Bless America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 06:52 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,443,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Maybe. But I am never going to vote for a liberal, even though I think they may have it right.

What they have right:
They evidently believe that the ordinary common man will not think for himself and will not, as I say, "take care of business". The ordinary common man will drift along through life taking what is delivered to him and even asking for more to be delivered. He won't provide for his own retirement, won't take care of his health, won't provide health care insurance, car insurance or many of the other things that 2020 man in America needs. So they baby sit him and provide what he needs for him.
Largely, I believe, they are right. The ordinary citizen cannot get out of his own way.
But liberals go too far.

What they get wrong:
There are enough strong willed, resolute, independent, "can do" people in America to provide for the huge numbers of "will nots". The Can Do's have no problem pulling the train, so to speak. They don't mind, and in fact enjoy pulling hard for everyone else, and bearing a little more of the load. It is who they are and they are proud of their strength. Liberals don't know this, so they attempt to emasculate every citizen, and subjugate him as well. Liberal leaders believe that they, and they alone have exclusive possession of good ideas and power and that they (the leaders) must dole out favors to everyone.
Liberals have no understanding of the Can Do mentality so they make no provision for Can Do's. They think everyone is like them.

Is conservatism destroyed?
Don't know. Don't care.
I'm never going to vote for a liberal.
Great post Listener. Spot on!!

Old 04-27-2020, 07:04 AM

13,564 posts, read 4,871,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I've said before they're changing, but their record needs to be dealt with.
Your thesis is that Republicans have destroyed conservatism over the past 40 years. So can you go back to pre-1980, and tell us what true conservatism was like back then? Give me some examples of true Republican conservatives in that era. (other than Goldwater, the obvious example).

I'm just trying to clarify this thread, because I don't know what your definition of conservatism is or how you feel the Republicans have broken it.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:08 AM

30,106 posts, read 18,921,258 times
Quote:
I've said before they're changing, but their record needs to be dealt with.

Since before even Reagan, republicans and the federalist society, along with their army of think tanks, have set out to destroy American nationalism.

Sure they wrapped themselves with the flag, but fools like Erick Erickson and Mark Levin dedicated their voices to preaching competitive markets, which just means allowing private equity to control what labor is productive, while determining national good by international supply chains.

They destroyed traditional community structures, and have left a base population living in the suburbs of Dallas or specialized farming company that relies on free trade to survive. All the while they are told to shop at their big box-mart store for Chinese made goods to keep the equity market afloat.

Democrats are rootless cosmopolitans who want cheap migrant labor to keep their farming and schools competitive and have everyone else move to a big city, but they don't claim to be conservatives.

Republicans do which make their crimes all the more egregious.
To be fair, Democrats have spent the last few decades destroying liberalism.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:25 AM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Yes, that was because he was a globalist and wanted cheap labor for farms in California and Texas.

I remember so called 'liberals' being interviewed in Los Angeles about illegal immigration, and they made the argument along the lines of "who will pick our avacadoes?".

This market first approach of thinking is do devoid of logic and emotion, it leads to people saying "they do jobs we don't".

Who is we? Mexican immigrants don't want to work as slave labor on our fields so we can have cheap produce in the grocery store, and they didn't want NAFTA opening the gates to wall street investors and chemical companies destroying their indigenous farm land in the south.

But this is the ideology that drives democrats and republicans.
Of course it is. Because that’s where the money is.

All politicians work for the people with the money. Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:42 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,400,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Your thesis is that Republicans have destroyed conservatism over the past 40 years. So can you go back to pre-1980, and tell us what true conservatism was like back then? Give me some examples of true Republican conservatives in that era. (other than Goldwater, the obvious example).

I'm just trying to clarify this thread, because I don't know what your definition of conservatism is or how you feel the Republicans have broken it.
Conservatives supported traditional family structures, communities, and hierarchy.

The 80s era of malls, big box-mart stores, and international trade ended traditional class roles and subverted them in favor of competitive globally marketed companies.

Family values were replaced by disruptive innovation, cosmopolitanism, migration, and metropolitan population distribution.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Trump is now the standard bearer for Conservatism.

Think about that. I mean, REALLY ponder it!!

Old 04-27-2020, 09:54 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,064,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Trump is now the standard bearer for Conservatism.

Think about that. I mean, REALLY ponder it!!
This is true. I used to consider myself a moderate conservative, center right you could say, since I believe in free enterprise, free markets, fiscal discipline, etc. Now none of the republicans--and especially Trump--believe in these things. So now I completely disavow any connection with anything called "Conservative", or "right", or "right leaning", etc. And since I'm a relentless critic of Trump his worshippers call me a "lefty", "liberal", or whatever. But I don't care. As long as no one calls me a "Trumpie".

Last edited by r small; 04-27-2020 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-27-2020, 10:06 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,067,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, conservatism has changed by moving further and further to the right.

That is why the Republican Party lost me. I first registered to vote in 1992 to vote for H.W., and had been a republican for over 20 years.

But Trump dragging the Republican Party to the extreme far-right, and seeing so many friends and family that I considered to be decent, kind, people...follow Donald to the extreme far right, it really turned me off.

"Your father's GOP" is long, long gone. Most of the people that I know in person and have met online that are still Trump supporters today are NOT the type of people I'd want to be associated with.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:17 AM

15,735 posts, read 6,447,235 times
I'm not sure the Republican party has moved further to the right as much as it has just become increasingly intolerant and xenophobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies