Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2020, 01:09 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
The sequel to the infamous California doctors video --
Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen the earlier video which apparently raised a ruckus.

The docs in that video haven't seen how really awful this disease can be - i.e., their experiences are mild in comparison to NY hospital docs and first responders. At the same time I don't disagree with anything they've said. I think the country does need to find a way to get back to business - taking into consideration regional differences. It's time.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-05-2020 at 01:51 AM..

Old 05-05-2020, 02:42 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Relative to the video above, a lot of mention is made of Sweden's better handling of its people and economy. Sweden's price for that is a substantially higher death rate than its neighbors:
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Sweden has done the worse of the Scandinavian countries. They have plateaued at a higher growth rate of deaths than their neighbors. If that growth isn't controlled, they continue to outpace them

Countries - Total Deaths
Swede....2,679
Denmark...484
Norway......211
Finland......230

Countries - Deaths Per 1 Million Population
Sweden...265
Denmark...84
Norway......39
Finland......42

They have 6x deaths as Finland and Norway. They have 3x deaths as Denmark.

By May 10th, they will have 8x deaths as Finland and Norway, and 4x deaths as Denmark.

Worldometer Coronavirus Update: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Old 05-05-2020, 03:57 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
I've been busy and admit I've not kept up on the Trump administration's crisis management strategies and successes.

Last I read, Pence had passed he baton to a Labradoodle breeder..

How'd that work out?

Old 05-05-2020, 06:30 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,817 times
I apologize if that article might not fit that thread but a researcher scientist who did some research on coronavirus was killed last week-end in Pittsburgh.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...urder-suicide/

Quote:
ROSS TOWNSHIP, Pa. (KDKA) – A researcher killed in an apparent murder-suicide was close to “making very significant findings” related to the coronavirus, his department said...

...“Bing was on the verge of making very significant findings toward understanding the cellular mechanisms that underlie SARS-CoV-2 infection and the cellular basis of the following complications. We will make an effort to complete what he started in an effort to pay homage to his scientific excellence,” the department said on its website.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:36 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
COVID-19 has already mutated and it’s new form spreads faster than originally.

Not good as we work on a vaccine.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-than-original

Old 05-05-2020, 06:42 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Not so true.

FL was expected to be on par with NY and Italy.

Thats the main reason DeSantis got all the stuff he requested.

For many reasons and reasons not known to be the answer as of yet the catastrophe that was anticipated in FL did not happen.
It's not surprising we did not end up like Italy or NY. Floridians live in homes, drive to work in their cars. Their only shared contact with people indoors is at work, shopping. And that social distancing took care of. Whereas in NY, you probably lived in a cramped apartment with a roommate, use a lot of shared areas (like elevators) to get into and out of your apartment, and then need to use PT to get around.

Here in Miami, we're the closest thing to a city as it gets in Florida. We have many people living in apartment buildings, but that's about it. People still drive everywhere.

But that being said, it's the worst here for that reason. We have something like half the cases in the state but only one third of the population.

Of course the heat and sun we get is helping, but it's not knocking this virus out. We were averaging in the mid 80s throughout March, and upper 80s/low 90s throughout April, and this virus had no problem infecting my friends and other people I know. I suspect it's through contact indoors, and will begin to go up as social distancing is relaxed here (which won't be until June) and people go back to work and share that stale, recycled ACed air.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:47 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The mortality rate is nowhere near 4%. Please stop peddling that lie, it has been debunked by at least 5 studies I’ve seen and probably more. You liberals are something else.
The Diamond Princess is the only completely controlled study we had, where we had enough of a sample population size to draw conclusions and we knew everyone who was infected, and it had a death rate of 2%.

I never heard of a flu outbreak on any cruise ship killing 14 people. Have you?

Those antibody tests out of California feature volunteers who show up to take them. In other words, they don't have a random sample to draw larger conclusions. That's saying nothing about how accurate these antibody tests are. Are those antibody tests distinguishing covid-19 antibodies from the other 4 coronaviruses antibodies circulating endemically in the human population? Studies showed that many of these tests are giving false positives as high as 15% of the time.

I took an antibody test, I had several friends who did, and they had friends that did, all in all, about 10 people I knew had these antibody tests, and all were negative.

Last edited by GoldenPineTree; 05-05-2020 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-05-2020, 06:56 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Get your Trump 2020 Mask and see how quickly the Dems remove this restriction.

https://twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/st...62310886232066
heh

Old 05-05-2020, 07:07 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You can't always stay away from other people, no matter your age or comorbidity. Everybody has to get food or pharmaceuticals or other necessities at some point. That's the point of the masks and social distancing. To protect others who may HAVE to be out and about.
1. I can't speak to where you live, only where I live. There was a "neighbor network" of volunteers to get things for the "stay at home crowd" within a day of March 16.

2. If one still just "has to go out" then they can use good hygiene and social distance. You're not getting COVID just by being in a building with someone. It really seems there's a subset of folks who believe you can by mere physical presence.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:19 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
New Zealand records second day with NO new cases.

“Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield has announced a second day of no new cases or deaths from Covid-19 in New Zealand.”

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...w-cases-deaths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies