Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 11:54 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I remember Tony Fauci saying that back in the beginning of March, that it was better to overreact than underreact, with regards to a pandemic, especially with a new, novel virus.
But the question is, does the "overreaction" include shutting down entire economies, schools, retail/restaurants, governments and all facets of daily life, so folks can hide inside their homes panicked?

That is what is in question here. Governments raced to shut down everything, based off theoretical models--which have proven to be inaccurate.

Maybe the closures and shut downs should've been much more measured at the start. The CDC and WHO pushed this panic onto governments, and media took it and ran giddily with it.

Damage has been done, and much of it is very long term.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:55 AM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Another point I forgot to include, by all reports, the deaths due to this thing in NYC are vastly over-reported. With a lot of people dying from something else, but just because they happened to also test positive, corona got put as the primary cause.
Yeah, like respiratory failure.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:59 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Another point I forgot to include, by all reports, the deaths due to this thing in NYC are vastly over-reported. With a lot of people dying from something else, but just because they happened to also test positive, corona got put as the primary cause.
In my state, per our dept of health, someone can be listed as a confirmed positive or covid death -
even if they were never tested OR even tested negative if their doctor says so.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:00 PM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And the doctors AGREED with that initial approach.

Where they have diverged is that now there is data ... not model projections. And they are saying the models were pathetically inaccurate. Data is data ... and they want to base moving forward on what has actually been found to be true. Not "projected models."
There is data on 1% of the population. And 2 months of history. So now we know it all, right?

I think Putin is giving a speech now. You should time back into that.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:01 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:

More than once I have asked for proof of that... I know 5 ER nurses in Wash state, NY, Miami - LA and Orlando and I want to see the proof of that statement. BTW they flew to NY and wash state to help. Why would a DR tell the family they died of the Corona- if did not think so? That does not make any sense. Eventually those tests will be checked - just as they have since 1918 Spanish FLU

Old 04-26-2020, 12:01 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is what I do not understand...if all the panic and overblown responses were not called for...the virus was obviously a disguise for something else, so its not going to matter one bit what the real facts on the virus are,or even if a vaccine is created...if the goal was destroy the economy...that will still happen, those responsible will just find another reason to justify continued restrictions.

And sadly, they do not have to do this much longer either...once the collapse starts, it would be next to impossible to stop it, once a certain threshold is crossed, it will happen on its own, despite what new facts come out about the virus, I think we have already crossed that threshold weeks ago, I can see it in what the state and federal govts are currently doing, they are in 'scramble mode', trying anything and everything to maintain control.

I don't think this was orchestrated by the most powerful influential men in the world. What did they have to gain except the loss of trillions of dollars, such as the men who own oil and gas? Doesn't make any sense. This was a kneejerk reaction to something unknown and scary. But now it's time to grow up and get back to the job of living and let the deaths occur where they may.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:23 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
That's not how we fill out the death cert. The immediate cause of death may be X or covid, and the antecedent may be Y or covid. But if covid 19 was incidental then it does not go on the death cert. It will be reported to the agencies, and ALL with covid 19 on the death cert. will be reviewed, by all sorts of agencies over time.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
But the question is, does the "overreaction" include shutting down entire economies, schools, retail/restaurants, governments and all facets of daily life, so folks can hide inside their homes panicked?

That is what is in question here. Governments raced to shut down everything, based off theoretical models--which have proven to be inaccurate.

Maybe the closures and shut downs should've been much more measured at the start. The CDC and WHO pushed this panic onto governments, and media took it and ran giddily with it.

Damage has been done, and much of it is very long term.
It had to be done. And it was measured at great length. After weeks the same conclusion was made all over the country.

It all seems easy and clear looking through the retrospectoscope, but not easy at all on the ground at the time.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
In my state, per our dept of health, someone can be listed as a confirmed positive or covid death -
even if they were never tested OR even tested negative if their doctor says so.
Nothing new here. We could always, and in many cases did, put presumed cause of death on the death cert.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:31 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It had to be done. And it was measured at great length. After weeks the same conclusion was made all over the country.

It all seems easy and clear looking through the retrospectoscope, but not easy at all on the ground at the time.
Ehh, yeah, hindsight is 20/20 most definitely.

But I think a more measured approach could've been done, still.

Bottom line, I think, is that the economy now needs to open up, and folks need to get back to work. The issue is, a lot of people won't have jobs to go back to, sadly.

The economic devastation has been done, and it's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies