Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 10:06 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times

Advertisements

60% to 70% of people will contract the virus because 60% to 70% of Americans WILL NOT stay home and when they go out, they're not wearing masks or social distancing. I don't think alot of people believe the virus is real. Maybe they would take it seriously if our leaders would. The vice president is out here visiting patients without wearing a mask, the covfefe in chief thinks it's a hoax. If they're not taking it seriously and trying to avoid catching it and spreading it, the general public won't either.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:07 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What in this thread addressed property rights?

I think it's time to end the shutdowns and I will be shopping at businesses that I deem are operating safely: i.e. employees wearing masks and social distancing being maintained.

Just addressing the bull**** theories that recessions lead to more deaths. Yes, more dopers and crazies die but a lot more cheeseburger eaters are saved.

I don't tell half truths or lies to advance my agenda. I find it pukeworthy.
There are other indicators that a “cure” is worse than the disease than just death statistics.

In quarantine with an abuser: surge in domestic violence reports linked to coronavirus

The Worst Situation Imaginable for Family Violence

Coronavirus: American children are dying because of quarantine, doctors warn
Quote:
Ms Coffman said her hospital treated six abuse cases last week, including one that resulted in the death of a preschooler. The child was the second preschooler to die at the hospital in two weeks due to suspected abuse related injuries. One of the children died of head trauma and the other was pronounced dead in the hospital's ER after suffering apparent trauma.

Ms Coffman said similar increases occurred during the 2008 recession.

"We saw that during the recession in the United States, where we had an increased number of physical abuse cases during the recession," she said. "In our institution, we had an increase in the number of deaths for child abuse during the recession."
Child Sexual Abuse Reports Are On The Rise Amid Lockdown Orders

Child sexual abuse images and online exploitation surge during pandemic

Child abuse calls plunge during coronavirus as hospitals see more severe cases

In March, half of visitors to the National Sexual Assault hotline were minors
Quote:
This grim statistic is a historic one. It's the first time in the hotline's history that minors have accounted for half of the people asking for help, according to a statement from the anti-sexual violence organisation, RAINN, which runs the hotline.

That figure can be traced to the implementation of shelter-in-place orders amid the new coronavirus pandemic, which came into effect across the U.S. in March.
The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Made The Opioid Epidemic Even Worse

Falling Through the Cracks in Quarantine

The “cure” is worse than the disease - at this point - especially given that everyone keeps telling us 70-80% will end up with it regardless and the majority of people are asymptotic. We were told the “cure” was to flatten the curve - done. It was the right thing to do originally, but now it’s time to go back to some semblance of normalcy. The people who are not at-risk have a right to not have their lives destroyed.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:07 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Remember when we were originally supposed to stay home just to “ flatten the curve”?
I remember those days-good times.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
According to Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, 60%-70% of Americans will contract this virus and there is nothing we can do to stop that from happening.

Osterholm was interviewed on NBC News "Meet the Press" today.

Of course this estimate is consistent with quite a few other estimates by people well familiar with the typical patterns of viral infections and epidemics. In fact, we have yet to hear anyone who finds the concept of herd immunity upsetting what their proposed alternative plan is that actually has a chance to work.

Crickets. Feel free to share if you know how to stop 60%-70% of all Americans from getting this virus, which statistically speaking is likely to include both me and you.
THere is some stuff that is not included in your post.

First --- it could be 60-70 per cent of Americans may get it -- the social distancing guidelines were to help control that so not ALL of those people got it at the same time.

As we have seen with the food processing plants...if 60-70 percent of your work force get the virus at the same time, you don't have much of a work force to continue operating with.

So the idea was to slow the spread......make sure immune compromised are protected and those of us that aren't immune compromised -- don't find out we could be or we don't spread it to someone who might.

The virus isn't going away -- -and the reason states are opening is not just because of economic reasons...is because that we hopefully have adapted systems and adopted procedure to continue mitigiating so there isn't another surge and we end up with the same kind of numbers with 70K people dying in a two month period.

It was never about stopping the virus completely.

MITIGATE -- the word of the day.....the month -- the year ...

Old 05-11-2020, 10:12 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The media has told us from day one that 80% are asymptomatic or symptoms so mild as to be mistaken for a mild case of the flu or even common cold.
False ^^^^

20% are hospitalized. It doesn't mean the other 80% are mild or asymptomaic. There are a lot of very sick people that aren't hospitalized. Chris Coumo was in that 80% that wasn't hospitalized. He was sicker than 'mild case of the flu'.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:23 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
For a doctor, a "mild" case is one where you're not in the hospital. You're still dang sick.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:28 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
False ^^^^

20% are hospitalized. It doesn't mean the other 80% are mild or asymptomaic. There are a lot of very sick people that aren't hospitalized. Chris Coumo was in that 80% that wasn't hospitalized. He was sicker than 'mild case of the flu'.

The 20% number has gone down as testing has gone up. The higher the hospitalization rate, the less testing your state is probably doing. Keep in mind that until very recently, only the sickest could be tested. In many parts of the country (like the parts of the country opening up), that's still true.

When this all started in Massachusetts, we were averaging around 10% hospitalization. We're down to 4% now. We were averaging 25% positive tests at the time, and now are averaging less than 15%.

Massachusetts still isn't doing enough testing - we should should be at less than 5% positive rates. But we wouldn't have been able to do as much proportional testing if we hadn't shut down to stem the spread. And we will hopefully continue to require masks in all public places to slow the spread so long as there are no effective treatments.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:33 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
So basically families spending time together is bad?

I am sure dysfunctional families have more problems.

The 70 to 80% is only true if no vaccine is developed. Even if no vaccine is developed I’d rather get this next year than now. I expect better treatments.

Last edited by whogo; 05-11-2020 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 10:36 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As the State of Georgia opens up ---- Emory --- a prestigous medical center in the heart of ATlanta steps up its COVID policies.

Have a friend whose husband has been going through radiation proton type kind of chemo (I can't remember the full, proper name but intense treatment for brain cancer). He's been going through treatments for the last couple of months.

TODAY.....they have added further restrictions. Emory is isolating who can come into the hospital at all.....the wife of the husband has not been allowed to get into the building to attend appointments etc.

This is a little eye opener for me. As we keep hearing how the country is opening up -- a prestigious medical facility is getting tighter with their policies to mitigate the spread.

Hmmmm -- makes you realize that this hoax is so intricately crafted ---
Well, that certainly says something, doesn't it?

Old 05-11-2020, 10:44 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Remember when we were originally supposed to stay home just to “ flatten the curve”?
And we were also not supposed to fully open up until there were two weeks of declining cases. That hasn't happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies