Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 05:53 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,217,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'm listening to the data & science here.
Actually you are listening to a doctor who has an outlier opinion of the data and science compared to other doctors. You are not listening to the full story on the data and science here. You are listening to data and science being cherry picked by two doctors who own an Urgent Care Clinic.
Quote:
I"m not sure why you are trying to discredit the doctors.
I will discredit any doctor who offers unsound advice.

Looks as if other doctors are also disputing Doctors Dan Erickson and Artin Massihi.

Local physicians reject doctor’s call to re-open society

Be wary of two doctors who own their own clinic. They just want the revenue to flow for them again.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:07 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,217,959 times
Quote:
At first, maybe so. But we could've had a more measured, less panicked approach and not shut every single thing down. Catastrophic to the economy.
Again thank Trump for why there was not a smooth plan put into place. He acted too late and what drove the panic was the number of cases and deaths being reported daily in the news.

Yes people realized that this virus is no joke and is very deadly and contagious...and it does not discriminate.
Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/w...e-johnson.htmlEarly reports were 2.2 million people would die from this in the US alone.
The NY Times is not a scienctiic model nor a science journal.

This should be a good lesson for you. Never obtain scientific knowledge from a news journal. Turn to actual science and the actual source. You will never get the real story when reading a news journal.
Quote:
Trump's response team did a fair job, but could've been better, could've been worse.
Not even close to doing a fair response. I see you failed to watch the video.

Watch it and then come back and explain how you can call this a fair job.
Quote:
Any President would've been somewhat slow to respond, and you can't please everyone.
False. S. Korean government was not slow to respond.

This is not about being pleased. It's about having a competent President who knows how to guide a crisis such as this. But that's unfortunately not what we have in the White House is it?

Old 04-26-2020, 06:43 PM

9,907 posts, read 14,252,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Actually you are listening to a doctor who has an outlier opinion of the data and science compared to other doctors. You are not listening to the full story on the data and science here. You are listening to data and science being cherry picked by two doctors who own an Urgent Care Clinic.

Looks as if other doctors are also disputing Doctors Dan Erickson and Artin Massihi.

Be wary of two doctors who own their own clinic. They just want the revenue to flow for them again.
Well, you have freedom to choose what you want to believe, and feel free to shelter in place for 4-6 additional months.

Whatever makes you feel safe, warm n cozy.

Many folks will move forward just fine and not see the economy continue to be destroyed by having it shuttered.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:49 PM

256 posts, read 86,203 times
Perspectives:

As I write this, there are about 3 million cases of COVID-19 confirmed worldwide. Nearly 1 million are in the U.S. That’s 33%

The world population stands at 7.8 billion. The U.S. population at 331 million. That’s 4.2%, if my math is correct.

4% of the population. 33% of the cases.

As I’m writing this, the up-to-the-minute reported stats show 206,350 deaths worldwide. The U.S. just passed 55,000 deaths. So, 4% of the world population. 27% of the deaths.

That’s how bad a job the U.S. is doing in controlling the spread of the disease.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:56 PM

14,864 posts, read 12,001,100 times
Quote:
But the question is, does the "overreaction" include shutting down entire economies, schools, retail/restaurants, governments and all facets of daily life, so folks can hide inside their homes panicked?

That is what is in question here. Governments raced to shut down everything, based off theoretical models--which have proven to be inaccurate.

Maybe the closures and shut downs should've been much more measured at the start. The CDC and WHO pushed this panic onto governments, and media took it and ran giddily with it.

Damage has been done, and much of it is very long term.
Agreed, and I keep wondering, why is THIS virus so different than the others that have presented such a potential threat to mankind (ie, SARS, MERS, , EBOLA, various influenza strains over the years) that the Powers That Be felt it expedient to virtually shut down the global economy, put irrational fear into the masses, over its potential spread. Doesn't make sense.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:57 PM

18,750 posts, read 8,370,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

Well sure, most self employed docs are in that place right now.

But also, they are coming from the right...

"If you're going to dance on someone's constitutional rights you better have a good reason"

As a physician coming from the left, we have to all realize that the goal is to get us all back to work while reasonably ensuring the safety of those at most risk from the virus. Not an easy task of course. But we are closer to moving in that direction, as the virus evolves on its time line, and we learn more about it. My state Arizona is soon to start to reopen. General business and medical.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:07 PM

18,750 posts, read 8,370,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Agreed, and I keep wondering, why is THIS virus so different than the others that have presented such a potential threat to mankind (ie, SARS, MERS, , EBOLA, various influenza strains over the years) that the Powers That Be felt it expedient to virtually shut down the global economy, put irrational fear into the masses, over its potential spread. Doesn't make sense.
Those other viruses never reached a stage where local acute HC facilities were over run. They never reached an Italy moment, which was the catalyst that ignited global medical and societal shutdown.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:10 PM

230 posts, read 114,123 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not surprised.

This lockdown and shutdown will have inflicted more financial damage and death, long term, than this COVID-19 virus has in the short term.

The lawsuits will come, and governments should be held accountable for ignorance. Whereas media should be held accountable for sensationlist, fear-mongering narratives and consistent panic-pushing 24/7.
The lack of any type of caring that you have for human life is pretty interesting. Keep that up and the lawsuits will be for you as people can see now that this is the type of attitude that got people into the pandemic.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:13 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,407,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
As soon as states start opening for business, there will be a surge on the hospitals. They need to be ready.
Obviously! All the elective surgeries put off will be scheduled, more injuries as people get back out and about.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:40 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,714,501 times
Dr. Erickson is extrapolating from the percent positive in testing so far and claiming that this same percentage would hold for the entire state of NY, and the entire USA. Given that in most places testing has been limited to those showing symptoms, this is unwarranted. He says:

"They likely have 7.5 million cases in NY"

No. It's very unlikely that the prevalence of COVID-19 in the untested is as high as in the tested population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.