Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 03:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. DW and I returned from Hong Kong on 2/16. Almost everyone we encountered in H.K. wore a mask and businesses were open with lots of people out and about. Compared to the U.S. and many other countries, Hong Kong has done very well.

We were flabbergasted when we heard the guidance that you linked to. It didn't make any sense to us.

In testimony today Rick Bright, the guy who was demoted for telling the truth, told congress that he sounded the alarm very early on that the U.S. was woefully short on masks and PPE for health care workers. He was persistent and was rebuffed in every instance until finally (paraphrasing) the powers that be at the CDC told him that guidance re: masks could be modified.

Who at CDC pushed back on his warnings? Political appointees.

And thus the insidious lie to the American people was born. In order to prevent hoarding and ensure that front-line healthcare workers had enough PPE, the CDC told us that masks weren't effective. It was a lie pure and simple.

I don't blame Fauci at all. He's doing the best he can to navigate through the intersection of public health and political pressure. When you have a president that lies as easily as he consumes hamburgers, Fauci is not in an enviable position.
That is disgusting. How can we vote for an idiot that allowed that?

Old 05-14-2020, 03:21 PM

48,513 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is disgusting. How can we vote for an idiot that allowed that?
Plus, NIOSH tested a imported N95 masks (albeit a small sampling) and they failed to filter to 95%. Fun!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-14-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Agree that we need to ramp up supply chains for N95 for front-line healthcare workers. Not sold on N95's for the general population. Most of what we saw in H.K. were cloth or surgical masks which are designed to prevent the spread of covid-19. N95's are uncomfortable to wear and IMO overkill for most. Have you seen the images of doctors and nurses after a shift with N95's? Not good.

Also agree that masks are are the best defense at this point. Cheap and effective. It's very unfortunate that a certain segment of the population has made masks into a political issue.

What could have been...

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3903194

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3901689

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/16...virus-success/
I don't personally like the surgical masks myself. I use a bandana with an air filter cut in or a KN95 mask. My probl with the KN95 was the one I had one of the bands snaped off the mask. Tape and stapling didn't get it to stay...

Old 05-14-2020, 03:24 PM

558 posts, read 279,088 times
A very interesting article about Rick Bright's whistle-blower complaint. This may be the genesis of the big lie about masks.

On February 7, Bright made the case for ramping up federal production of N95 masks at a meeting of the disaster leadership group but was shot down. While Bright again warned of imminent shortages, two members of Kadlec’s staff, Laura Wolf and Jessica Falcon, told him that there was no need for immediate action.

Dr. Wolf and Dr. Falcon responded that the plan was to monitor for any supply chain issues and, if needed, ask the CDC to update its guidelines to tell people who ‘don’t need’ masks to not buy them,” as Bright’s complaint explains

WHISTLEBLOWER DETAILS HOW TRUMP’S BUREAUCRATS REFUSED TO SECURE N95 MASKS AS PANDEMIC LOOMED

Kadlec was Rick Bright's boss. A real piece of work.

Kadlec scaled back a long-standing interagency process for spending billions of dollars on stockpile purchases, diminishing the role of government experts and restricting decision-making to himself and a small circle of advisers, according to three former officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

Before pandemic, Trump’s stockpile chief put focus on biodefense. An old client benefited.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:31 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And now the same people are trying to turn the lie into a political statement. The single greatest mistake the US made was to discourage masks. What we need now is massive production of N95 masks as cases grow through the spring and explode in late summer. It is the only real defense we have, however, flawed.
the single greatest mistake was not getting a valid test sooner.

the 2nd was not having a decent and up-to-date stockpile.

the 3rd was not already knowing about 2, and not having emergency-sourcing within the US and/or among our best allies

after that, getting the types of folks who bought 6 months of toilet paper and would have most likely done AT LEAST the same with masks to NOT hoard.

Did we need masks for the general population that has an ~8% chance of contracting the virus, or the frontline workers especially healthcare/first responders who would clearly come in contact with infected people. Did we need masks, etc for congregate living, or the general population?

If mask-wearing went from 20% 4 weeks ago to say 60% now, and was so important, why wouldn't case figures have dropped through the floor?

I do know this - it's a great ? to ask Fauci or Birx or Redfield, if someone will actually ask it - and be a hero, give up your gotcha question to Trump and ask this one first.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
A very interesting article about Rick Bright's whistle-blower complaint. This may be the genesis of the big lie about masks.

On February 7, Bright made the case for ramping up federal production of N95 masks at a meeting of the disaster leadership group but was shot down. While Bright again warned of imminent shortages, two members of Kadlec’s staff, Laura Wolf and Jessica Falcon, told him that there was no need for immediate action.

Dr. Wolf and Dr. Falcon responded that the plan was to monitor for any supply chain issues and, if needed, ask the CDC to update its guidelines to tell people who ‘don’t need’ masks to not buy them,” as Bright’s complaint explains

WHISTLEBLOWER DETAILS HOW TRUMP’S BUREAUCRATS REFUSED TO SECURE N95 MASKS AS PANDEMIC LOOMED

Kadlec scaled back a long-standing interagency process for spending billions of dollars on stockpile purchases, diminishing the role of government experts and restricting decision-making to himself and a small circle of advisers, according to three former officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

Before pandemic, Trump’s stockpile chief put focus on biodefense. An old client benefited.
Kaldec seems like a Trump yes man... Plus he is a Republican. Too many of the ones especially in Washington are swamp creatures. Doubly true for Trump appointees...

Old 05-14-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I don't personally like the surgical masks myself. I use a bandana with an air filter cut in or a KN95 mask. My probl with the KN95 was the one I had one of the bands snaped off the mask. Tape and stapling didn't get it to stay...
It's my understanding that N95 masks are respirators designed to protect the wearer from airborne contagion. I presume they also protect patients from wearers of N95's. N95's have a definite shape and are somewhat rigid.

Surgical masks are designed to prevent the spread of infection to OTHERS not to protect the wearer. I think these are designed for a single use. Surgical masks have a metal band to give a good fit around the nose. They are fairly flexible and when unfolded cover the nose and mouth.

Cloth masks like bandanas are similar to surgical masks. They prevent the spread of the disease but don't effectively protect the wearer from disease.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
It's my understanding that N95 masks are respirators designed to protect the wearer from airborne contagion. I presume they also protect patients from wearers of N95's. N95's have a definite shape and are somewhat rigid.

Surgical masks are designed to prevent the spread of infection to OTHERS not to protect the wearer. I think these are designed for a single use. Surgical masks have a metal band to give a good fit around the nose. They are fairly flexible and when unfolded cover the nose and mouth.

Cloth masks like bandanas are similar to surgical masks. They prevent the spread of the disease but don't effectively protect the wearer from disease.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Pretty sure. I don't like the way they rub against the nose with the molder. KN95 are the non respiratory masks that look similar to N95s. KN95 are better for me. If only the stitch was a little better on the one I had.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Kaldec seems like a Trump yes man... Plus he is a Republican. Too many of the ones especially in Washington are swamp creatures. Doubly true for Trump appointees...
This is happening all throughout the government. Take a chainsaw through government agencies eliminating institutional knowledge and when crisis strikes we're left with incompetents and toadies. That his supporters can't see the disaster that's unfolding is deeply troubling.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the single greatest mistake was not getting a valid test sooner.

the 2nd was not having a decent and up-to-date stockpile.

the 3rd was not already knowing about 2, and not having emergency-sourcing within the US and/or among our best allies

after that, getting the types of folks who bought 6 months of toilet paper and would have most likely done AT LEAST the same with masks to NOT hoard.

Did we need masks for the general population that has an ~8% chance of contracting the virus, or the frontline workers especially healthcare/first responders who would clearly come in contact with infected people. Did we need masks, etc for congregate living, or the general population?

If mask-wearing went from 20% 4 weeks ago to say 60% now, and was so important, why wouldn't case figures have dropped through the floor?

I do know this - it's a great ? to ask Fauci or Birx or Redfield, if someone will actually ask it - and be a hero, give up your gotcha question to Trump and ask this one first.
They lost all credibility on masks when they were forced to lie to us the first time. Now the message is muddled and has become a source of division.

With my own eyes I saw near 100% compliance rate in Hong Kong at the same time as business was booming. They also had crews cleaning non-stop in all frequented public and most private spaces.

South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Japan all used masks extensively and look at the difference.

Masks for everyone > multi-trillions of dollars, a looming deep recession, and no end in sight.

A colossal failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.