Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 12:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
President Donald Trump said Monday that he is taking a malaria drug to lessen symptoms should he get the new coronavirus, despite warnings from his own government that it should only be administered in a hospital or research setting due to potentially fatal side effects.

Trump told reporters he has been taking the drug, hydroxychloroquine, and a zinc supplement daily “for about a week and a half now.” Trump spent weeks pushing the drug as a potential cure for COVID-19 against the cautionary advice of many of his administration's top medical professionals. The drug has the potential to cause significant side effects in some patients and has not been shown to combat the new coronavirus.

Trump said his doctor did not recommend the drug to him, but he requested it from the White House physician.

The Food and Drug Administration warned health professionals last month that the drug should not be used outside of hospital or research settings, due to sometimes fatal side effects. Regulators issued the alert after receiving reports of heart-rhythm problems, including deaths, from poison control centers and other health providers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...204052126.html

I think he is lying.
I don't so. It is allegedly said to be fine if it is used preventatively like with malaria but it's not confirmed.

Old 05-19-2020, 01:03 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
your favorite DNA virus. your choice.
Ok I’m partial to Enterobacter as it may have corollary to the current
Coronavirus. What would you like to discuss ?

Old 05-19-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't so. It is allegedly said to be fine if it is used preventatively like with malaria but it's not confirmed.
Of course he’s not lying.

Old 05-19-2020, 01:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Of course he’s not lying.
I don't see why he would. He was largely behind the drug even after experts said pump your breaks on it. Allegedly (as per Dr. Bright's complaint) for political reasons.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:02 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
President Donald Trump said Monday that he is taking a malaria drug to lessen symptoms should he get the new coronavirus, despite warnings from his own government that it should only be administered in a hospital or research setting due to potentially fatal side effects.

Trump told reporters he has been taking the drug, hydroxychloroquine, and a zinc supplement daily “for about a week and a half now.” Trump spent weeks pushing the drug as a potential cure for COVID-19 against the cautionary advice of many of his administration's top medical professionals. The drug has the potential to cause significant side effects in some patients and has not been shown to combat the new coronavirus.

Trump said his doctor did not recommend the drug to him, but he requested it from the White House physician.

The Food and Drug Administration warned health professionals last month that the drug should not be used outside of hospital or research settings, due to sometimes fatal side effects. Regulators issued the alert after receiving reports of heart-rhythm problems, including deaths, from poison control centers and other health providers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...204052126.html

I think he is lying.

Don't believe the hype, people! Donald Trump taking a malaria drug is just another publicity stunt to grab media attention. Just another reality episode for the obese orange man.

Last edited by tillman7; 05-19-2020 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 02:27 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
I dislike Trump as much as anyone on this board, but I believe him when he says he's taking HCQ/zinc. He's a real scaredy-cat when it comes to his health. When Pence's press secretary tested positive, that probably set him off.

Many doctors have been taking low doses of HCQ since beginning of this epidemic as a cya. No one knows for sure if it works or doesn't - but at this point it's any port in a storm. If Trump is taking this daily w/zinc, I'd be a bit concerned. Both can cause issues if taken daily. A small weekly preventive dose would probably be OK as these docs are doing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Many doctors (I dont know the percentages) are still taking it prophylactically, but again, not because we know it works, just because we don’t know that it doesn’t work. And such a small, once a week dose, is not likely to have any side effects.

Most of us are taking the once a week dose that is prescribed to prevent (not treat) malaria. But we dont know if it preventative, or if it is, if that is the right dose. But when you spend day and night surrounded by people who have the virus and are infectious, and you see them dying left and right, it provides a little comfort in the hopes that it might be doing something.

Again, not the way we want to be practicing medicine, but there are no good alternatives.
That doc posts on COVID thread in NJ forum. Well worth a read.

People need to stop referring to this as the 'flu.' COVID is not remotely close to the flu in contagion, or breadth of damage it can cause. Anyone who believes otherwise, needs to reexamine their news sources. Based on my reading in January, I've always known coronavirus would be an issue here. So should have any intelligent informed person in this country. Selectively reading, listening to or blindly following people who only reenforce your world view doesn't help you one bit in making wise decisions for YOUR life.

Relative to phony COVID deaths - better way to measure is by excess deaths in each state. Those equal or exceed COVID deaths reported. If anything, death totals are an undercount.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...oll-total.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/o...us-deaths.html

Lastly, common sense would tell anyone FL is fudging their numbers. There are too many old people in that state for it to be reporting a death toll of 4.4%. Somewhere between 5-6% is probably closer to the truth.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-19-2020 at 02:40 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 03:36 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
You must listen to our orders and lock yourself down or be arrested.

WE know what's best for you !!

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/s...57207546142723

Old 05-19-2020, 03:58 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Ok I’m partial to Enterobacter as it may have corollary to the current
Coronavirus. What would you like to discuss ?
that’s a bacteria. can you pick a virus?

Old 05-19-2020, 04:13 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You must listen to our orders and lock yourself down or be arrested.

WE know what's best for you !!

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/s...57207546142723
Do you ever check the veracity of your memes? Quick Google shows the LA Director's pic was manipulated. Didn't bother to check the rest.

What is your point supposed to be? Don't listen to medical experts? Really

Edited to add: Another quick check and Minister of Health and Social Services in Quebec is a woman, if that is the same position.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 05-19-2020 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that’s a bacteria. can you pick a virus?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escherichia_virus_CC31

Think lineage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies