Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 10:28 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,700,130 times

Advertisements

The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed medical journal. It is among the world's oldest and best-known medical journals.
Hmmm who to pay attention to?

Trump who is a real estate promoter or medical science? Those who disingenuously post inaccurate information to plant statistical confusion for political purposes or those who take oaths to heal and do no harm?

No matter your political affiliation folks, the most recent data and study of said data ---- 96,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients on six continents--- found that those who received the antimalarial drug had a significantly higher risk of death compared with those who did not. Not only have the studies (plural...13 to date) shown no effectiveness, they now reveal distinct harm.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:53 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,159,440 times
the NYU study showed effectiveness.

the 96K study - and I'm not questioning lancet, I'm "questioning" those the WaPo quoted - involved 15K recipients, and so 80K non-recipients. The 15K all took HCQ or CQ, but they also took combinations including other drugs.

And I'm not saying this one LARGEST study yet is BS. It certainly should cause all health care pros pause in the rush to use HCQ indiscriminately and without carefully watching the patient.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:08 PM

in other news, if you're still stuck on the "Texas sees huge jump in cases just as it re-opens" narrative ....

Since that date, cases have not exceeded 1,500 in any day. in 1/2 the days, the total has been under 1,000.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:16 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,671,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
in other news, if you're still stuck on the "Texas sees huge jump in cases just as it re-opens" narrative ....

Since that date, cases have not exceeded 1,500 in any day. in 1/2 the days, the total has been under 1,000.
WOM shows 1826 yesterday.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2020, 12:50 PM

I looked at the Texas HHS page.

use the Worldometers page then. Maybe I looked too early this morning. Since the "Texas Tragedy" last Friday, cases were under 1,100 each day until yesterday.

Since May 1 re-opening, TX has averaged 1,138 cases/day. During that same time, NY has not had a single day below 1,300 cases.

Last week, Texas' spike was largely due to 1 prison. Can't tell you what caused it yesterday - does anyone know? Grayson County almost doubled their total cases, but just 110+ new cases.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:12 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,382,040 times
My opinion on HCQ w/possibly AZT or zinc is that it is one possible tool which, when used early as short-term therapy (like a few days), may be effective in halting progression of the disease. If I were in the early stages of this disease, I would certainly be willing to try an HCQ protocol for a few days, as described here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I wanted to chime in here after seeing the rather silly comments about quinine and it's synthetic form which is in the news. I practice in these areas where patients arrive quite ill, fever >102.F anxious breathing hard and malaise (not feeling well). In addition, they look like a wreck, sweaty smelly and with some nausea vomiting. Add loose stools and you get the picture. They became ill over about 3-5 days got antibiotics from their outpatient doctor.....etc.

Anyway, we start quinine, Zithromax, vitamin C within hours. Quinine is a 3 day protocol. Day one is two pills twice in one day and 1 pill for 2 days thereafter for a total of 4 doses. Zithromax two pills then one pill for 4 more days. Vitamin C varies.

In those people who get well, they get well much more quickly than one would expect. It is a remarkable thing to see. 0700 all the symptoms I mentioned and by 1700 they are almost normal, walking around asking for food and when can they go home?

Ordinarily, when people get well it's a slow process and often the patient themselves does not begin to feel it until day 3 or 4 from mild to moderate disease. But this is different. They get well very rapidly almost as if the illness evaporated. It's so different that we are typically really really surprised...almost as if the medications turned off the viral switch.
Other anecdotal reports from doctors I've read over the past six weeks support this. From what I've read, those most benefitted are not on ventilators, but more apt to visit urgent care centers or doctor offices.

For the really ill who've been sick for while where the virus has already compromised other organs - blood vessels, heart, etc. it may be contraindicated. A weakened heart would be too susceptible to arrythmias, etc. as described here:
Quote:
Doctors also discovered that, to their surprise, the novel coronavirus appeared to directly or indirectly attack the heart, including by reducing its ability to pump, creating an imbalance in its electrical rhythms, and attacking blood vessels.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...navirus-study/
Like any medication, prescribe where appropriate.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,838,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Garbage. Virtually all cases and deaths are in nursing homes or other confined environments. Places that presumably have higher standards of cleanliness and hygiene. And in the case of nursing homes, are locked down. I don't know where you see rising numbers, unless you are counting the NYC area, where most cases have been.

For areas that are not NYC, and are not nursing homes, there is NO reason to not open up, and since there are minimal cases, making mask wearing voluntary will not result in more cases.

Did Obama wear a mask at his press conferences during H1N1? Just curious.
H1N1 in 2009 was in no way as dire as Covid-19. We had what the CDC estimated for the forecasted most deaths of H1N1 in New York City alone. Nationwide, we had more deaths in a single month than the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. Comparing H1N1 to Covid-19 is comparing a walk in the park to a climb up Mount Everest...

The long-term care facilities is an issue because a lot just because of the elderly or others who are sick and the fact that healthcare workers might not realized they had contact with the virus due to the enlongated incubation period of the virus. Locking down the nursing homes has happened in a number of areas. Healthcare workers can't even leave whether they have the virus or not and whether there are beds for them or not. The issue I see is that if they get sick what do they do to contain the virus. Long-term care facilities do not have the capabilities of a hospital like negative air flow at this time.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:52 PM

8,058 posts, read 3,628,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I looked at the Texas HHS page.

use the Worldometers page then. Maybe I looked too early this morning. Since the "Texas Tragedy" last Friday, cases were under 1,100 each day until yesterday.

Since May 1 re-opening, TX has averaged 1,138 cases/day. During that same time, NY has not had a single day below 1,300 cases.

Last week, Texas' spike was largely due to 1 prison. Can't tell you what caused it yesterday - does anyone know? Grayson County almost doubled their total cases, but just 110+ new cases.
New York has almost 7 times more confirmed infections. Obviously, the daily rate would be higher.

Actually, the total number of active cases is like 14 times higher.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:23 PM

37,951 posts, read 22,081,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You've just proven my point, stating EXACTLY the reason he needs to wear one. Most of us are not tested every day. Most of us have not even been tested once.

Trump is the leader of ALL THE PEOPLE and must set an example for the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Not set himself apart from the country, saying it's all right for the elite who have special privileges to ignore what is expected from the masses.

Unfortunately, Trump for now is the designated leader of the masses. He should act like it.
He doesn't wear a seat belt if he's not in a car, and he doesn't wear a mask if he's nor infected. So don't attempt to dumb us all down as if we cannot tell the difference. Your assumption that everyone is too damn stupid to know the difference is insulting.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:04 PM

28,885 posts, read 30,198,950 times
Quote:
corpgypsy Latest Study---PUBLISHED TODAY 5/22/2020--- on Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine
People who take either of the two drugs are risking serious health complications or death. These drugs are not safe or effective for use in COVID 19. Nor do they offer any type of prophylaxis against infection by this new virus.
So, what your saying is, this virus, COVID 19 can tell the difference in each Lupus, Malaria or Covid 19 Patient? Is that so?

they've been using these drugs for years on other patients, now all of a sudden they cause complications or death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.