Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 12:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 9,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinethief View Post
Where is the national uproar over 600k+ Americans in coffins due to cancer every year?
We have a National Cancer Institute! There has been a huge research effort for cancer understanding and treatments for nearly 50 years now - ever since Richard Nixon declared the "War on Cancer" a national priority! OMG.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:00 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinethief View Post
Gathered some data from worldometer. Here are the countries where the situation has been desribed as apocolyptic:

* Italy: Cases clearly disappearing, 0.05% death rate overall
* Spain: Cases clearly disappearing, 0.05% death rate overall
* USA: Too early to say, 0.02% death rate overall
* UK: Too early to say, 0.04% death rate overall
* Iran: Cases clearly disappearing, 0.007% death rate overall

Are there any countries where the overall death rate has exceeded 0.1% of the population?

The overall death rate for the world is 0.003%.

Now there 195 countries in the world. You would think that, given how many countries and not done any type of shutdown, and given how contagious and deadely we are lead to believe the virus is, there would be at least 1 example where the virus had caused the situation we were told about where gazillions are sprawling on the streets dying while stadiums are filled with used hospital beds.

How about Lagos, Nigeria (pictured below)? You would think the virus hasn't hit there? Imagine how much it would (supposedly) spread and how many people would die.

"It's going to come back 2x as bad in Fall/Winter!" Ok, so the chance of surviving this virus goes from 99.997% to 99.994%? Scary!
what. Are you into real estate or something?

Old 05-09-2020, 01:02 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Until A vaccine is developed, the body count will continue (and will get worse as cold weather hits or a some mutation of the virus). Almost 80k dead in just a few months and no cure in sight? Yes I say this IS bad, because theres nothing to stop it. Its level off a bit only because of warm weather.

70k today, 700k tomorrow, 7 million eventually
Death rate for this virus is NOT .1% as some would like to believe. It is 10x that - 1% of the population - and 10x that of the flu.

Which means without social distancing/mitigation over 3,000,000 US citizens could die from this in the next year or thereabouts.

I dislike the shutdown and restrictions as much as anyone. The economic harm will be irreparable. Some say 10 years to 'recovery.' And, then, of course, there will be another black swan.

A vaccine may or may not doable. I've read over and over no one has had any success developing a vaccine for a coronavirus - something to do with it being a RNA+ molecule - and scientists have been trying for years.

Our best hope is improving treatment options and therapeutics. Meanwhile, social distancing, masks, cautious reopening where appropriate, better awareness overall on prevention methods.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:24 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
So you’re saying the quarantine has worked.
25% of NYC, over 2 million people in just one city, have been infected. Sure, the quarantine worked.... The "lockdown" is one of the biggest failures in history.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:24 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Whatever it takes. Why do you want people to subject themselves to the virus
Wear a mask, wash your hands, maintain physical distance.

Do these things, and no one will get infected, let alone die.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:25 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,403 times
We had 35,000 deaths from flu last year without social distancing.

In two months COVID-19 has already killed 70,000 in 2 months with social distancing.

Who are these people saying it’s no worse than the flu???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
25% of NYC, over 2 million people in just one city, have been infected. Sure, the quarantine worked.... The "lockdown" is one of the biggest failures in history.
I would say most of the infections happened before shutdown, because of how contagious and infectious this disease is in high density areas. This was spreading before anyone knew it was here.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:27 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Until A vaccine is developed, the body count will continue (and will get worse as cold weather hits or a some mutation of the virus). Almost 80k dead in just a few months and no cure in sight? Yes I say this IS bad, because theres nothing to stop it. Its level off a bit only because of warm weather.

70k today, 700k tomorrow, 7 million eventually
Warm weather (actually, more importantly, sunlight) weakens the virus-the half-life drops from 18 hours to 2 minutes. Meaning that if you are exposed, it will most likely be a lower viral load with milder, if any, symptoms. Sunlight and warmth strengthens our immune systems. Most of us WILL be exposed as infectious as this thing is. I'd much rather it happen in the summer rather than next winter.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I have no problem with additional testing for national leaders. What I do have a problem with is them simultaneously running around without masks. That is the height of hypocrisy. It is irresponsible and, even worse, despicable as Trump then uses not wearing a mask or setting a 'good' example for his political benefit. If it makes him feel awkward, then he needs to get over it. Millions of other Americans are trying to.
My problem is they push that there isn't a problem with testing supplies when governors continue to say there is a problem with testing. It seems like a let them eat cake situation that they get tested twice a week and most of us haven't even gotten tested once, even if we were potentially exposed to the virus...
https://abc7chicago.com/coronavirus-...-test/6161490/
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...s-mess/611431/
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/healt...ges/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/healt...ort/index.html
https://m.startribune.com/supply-sho...n-d/570180692/
https://www.pressherald.com/2020/05/...nursing-homes/

Old 05-09-2020, 01:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Wear a mask, wash your hands, maintain physical distance.

Do these things, and no one will get infected, let alone die.
I largely do that but I see a LOT of people that dont wear any coverings and don't try to social distance. It isn't me I'm worried about. I have two at risk parents I worry about. One has a weakened immune system and the other is cancer paitent. I live with them and help them out... My father had a test and it was negative. Without his immune issues, I doubt he would have gotten tested.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:54 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Because they took action way too late, that is why, hence the advocacy for taking actions before things got bad, not after. That is the thing with viruses, the actions have to come before there is a huge spread, not after.

Quote:
Warm weather (actually, more importantly, sunlight) weakens the virus-the half-life drops from 18 hours to 2 minutes. Meaning that if you are exposed, it will most likely be a lower viral load with milder, if any, symptoms. Sunlight and warmth strengthens our immune systems. Most of us WILL be exposed as infectious as this thing is. I'd much rather it happen in the summer rather than next winter.
Miami has been hot for months, never even got cold here all year at all, yet it is a hot spot for the virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies