Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 10:42 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,408,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We had the same information the South Koreans and Vietnamese had.
South Korea and Vietnam didn't have the CDC banning their companies and universities from developing tests or their doctors from using WHO tests. They didn't have the CDC screw the pooch and introduce a faulty test and take weeks to resolve it. In short-they had the option of testing weeks, if not months, before we did.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Dan Patrick, Gov Abbott and their rich friends hunker down safely while ordering everyone else to get back to work.
Jay Inslee, Gavin Newsom and Andy Cuomo collect a paycheck while they have destroyed the jobs, businesses and life's savings of tens of millions of their citizens. While millions of their citizens are losing their homes or standing in line at food pantries.

Oh, and at least one of them has the blood of thousands of nursing home patients on his hands after he forced them to accept covid-positive patients. That was cold blooded murder.

One more little point. The ones you named? They haven't ordered anyone back to work-they don't have the authority to do that. All they have done is to give them the option to do so. That is the difference-good leaders govern and trust that their citizens are able to make responsible, sensible decisions. Bad ones enjoy their newfound power and playing petty dictators.

Sometimes I just think that liberals can't get any dumber. But then...yet another steps up and goes "hold my beer".

Old 05-16-2020, 10:47 PM

2,264 posts, read 966,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
South Korea and Vietnam didn't have the CDC banning their companies and universities from developing tests or their doctors from using WHO tests. They didn't have the CDC screw the pooch and introduce a faulty test and take weeks to resolve it. In short-they had the option of testing weeks, if not months, before we did.
And they didn’t have a U.S. Surgeon-General telling people surgical face masks don’t work and a month later posting a video showing people how to make cloth face masks to protect themselves from the virus.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:47 PM

8,050 posts, read 3,619,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It sounds like you guys successfully "contained" it. That is no longer an option for us.

In fact, based on the quality of the information we got about the virus from the Chinese, not to mention the timing, it does not appear that "containment" was ever an actual option for us.
Lol, "quality of information"? How come a bunch of countries acted in January, while we did a "travel ban"?

"Containment" was never an option considering the inept government response, you are right about that.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:12 PM

52,626 posts, read 47,829,770 times
Despite what you've read on this thread, Texas is doing the right thing by re-opening. We've done a great job of washing our hands, practicing social distancing, and wearing our masks, but we have to get this economy going again. We must, or there won't be any economy to come back to. Try not to read too much into the fake news media because they will always exaggerate and falsify. Yes, there are still some cases (sorry to say), and there will still be some deaths reported, and you hate to see that. You'd have to look far and wide for some credible sources to get the real picture.

But Texas is strong. We're re-opening, and we're going to do it safely. There will be a lot of testing going on, and I think a lot of Americans have learned a lot these last couple of months. We're doing the right thing.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:46 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,093,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Here in Taiwan the coronavirus pandemic is over. We never had a lockdown. Schools, restaurants and other businesses have been open and operating normally the whole time. The last new case was over a month ago. 7 people out of a population of 24 million died from Covid-19.

All it took was for the government to go on a crash program to manufacture surgical masks for everyone at 15 cents U.S. a piece and for 95% of the population to voluntarily wear them from Day 1.

That Great Wall of surgical face masks withstood everything the coronavirus threw at it, making quarantining and contact tracing easy jobs.
Amazing isn't it? My doctor is from Taiwan and told me the same thing, but I guess here people think that masks interfere with their 'freedom'.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:28 AM

3,603 posts, read 1,642,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Amazing isn't it? My doctor is from Taiwan and told me the same thing, but I guess here people think that masks interfere with their 'freedom'.

Yep...wish we were like Taiwan and could get rid of COVID 19 by masks provided for all by the leadership with the masses wearing them in public ...not happening in America...90 thousand deaths so far in 2 months and rising...looks like it will hang around a LONG time here as well...

Old 05-17-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Despite what you've read on this thread, Texas is doing the right thing by re-opening. We've done a great job of washing our hands, practicing social distancing, and wearing our masks, but we have to get this economy going again. We must, or there won't be any economy to come back to. Try not to read too much into the fake news media because they will always exaggerate and falsify. Yes, there are still some cases (sorry to say), and there will still be some deaths reported, and you hate to see that. You'd have to look far and wide for some credible sources to get the real picture.

But Texas is strong. We're re-opening, and we're going to do it safely. There will be a lot of testing going on, and I think a lot of Americans have learned a lot these last couple of months. We're doing the right thing.
Glad to hear. Texas has been doing extremely well, with the 11th lowests death rate in the entire country-by far the lowest for a state with a large population and massive metro areas. Texas has several major metro areas, NY state, really, has one (Buffalo hardly counts as a major metro area). Helps that they are governed by someone with a brain and respect for the constitution, and some concern for the survival of his citizens (he didn't force nursing homes to take covid-positive patients did he?).

Old 05-17-2020, 12:55 AM

24,456 posts, read 9,315,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The smart approach is take politics out of it and just follow the science. Now if this surge in Texas continues and Gov. Abbott is smart, he will reinstate the lockdown until the spread of the disease is tamped down. And then slowly reopen again.
We already tried that, turns out people actually have to work for a living

Maybe in your world, everyone can sit at home and get Uncle Sam welfare payments to sustain them until a vaccine ever comes. But in the real world that isn’t going to happen.

30 million Americans are literally unemployed right now.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
My thing is this. It's either remain closed and destroy the economy, or just reopen, people die and the economy still gets wrecked. Thier has to be a balanced approach to reopening so that those that want to do total lockdown on the left can shut up, and be happy, while on the right tehy can enjoy the economy shut up and be happy.

It's already left vs right and has been so since the Pandemic started. This right or left thing is nothing new. 20 years ago during 9/11 the left was pro liberty agaisnt the patriot act, and the right was pro security and safety and wanted the patriot act. 20 years later the paradigm has shifted. The left is now about safety and security while the right is bout liberty and freedom. I'm no fan of Cuomo up here in NYC, but I have to respect the man like how I have to respect Trump. Their needs to be a smart approach to reopening, and smart approach to ease lockdown. Neither the hardcore left or hardcore right do not want smart approach to ease lockdown or to reopen.

I'm a Lefty and my issue is this. If those that support the lockdown in its entirity. Are you willing to support high taxes after this is over, or you guys just going to end up moving to some red state after this pandemic is over and the blue states become economically messed up with high covid taxes like NY and CA?
I totally believe you are left after you post tripe like this. I honestly think you are a phony. If you are a "lefty", why in the blue Hell are you worried about taxes? Were you worried about the taxes when we bailed out the banks in 2008, General Motors in 2009 or again in 2020 with Covid-19 Payment Protection Plan and numerous other forms of bailouts under the three stimulus bills that have happened? If you are a "lefty" like you claim, you also wouldn't mock New York and California in this and other posts. Also what kind of "lefty" "respects Trump"?

The problem is the economy is gonna be wrecked either way. Businesses are contracting and some have bankrupted and others will be soon to follow as we are just re-opening. Neiman Marcus and J.C. Penney's both of whom are in chapter 11 and announced they will layoff workers. Many small businesses that couldn't secure PPP loans due to the botched rollouts of both phases are looking at having no job prospects because of a contracted job market. Retail is down a lot.

We are going into this way to fast. I mean I get it, a LOT of people haven't gotten unemployment at all and are just furloughed rather than "fired." These workers need money fast. But the other side is, these increase in rates. Arizona is seeing some rising numbers and Texas (the state in the topic) has as well. The numbers ties into one of the biggest problems I have with re-opening.

The biggest problem is we don't have an incentive to stay at home if we have comorbidities or live with those that do. As states re-open, these workers have to go back to work with everyone else. I heard had talks with some co-workers I work with and they fear a lot of things. Going back to work, having their kids go back to school in the fall, what they'll do over the summer (I work as an hourly school worker and talked with others), etc. If we want to lessen deaths, we need to have an incentive for those with comorbidities to stay at home.

The problem with a phased re-open is there is no way to do it beyond how Arizona had it after the beauticians were removed from the essential lists. That is the perfect way to do it, but the right don't want it at all. The left I didn't honestly hear complaints of it. Too many states as we re-open are going too fast. A bar in Tempe named Casa was packed with little to no social distancing the night it opened.

This will be the first birthday in years I am not going out for it for a meal at all and I'll see family members just two and a half weeks before, not later after like normal. Not that I am materialistic mind you, I am just showing that I have changed my mind on things due to the virus. I don't want to worry about standing in line for hours and hoping that we can take a seat in a traditional restaurant. Let that sink in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.