Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 02:37 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
And if we ever do get a vaccine, who will get it? Will it be affordable and available to everybody?
I guess that depends on who develops it first. If it is a public agency, then yes. Big pharma, well you know how that goes. The Feds, of course, are in the pocket of Big Pharma, so a cynical observer would project that FDA will not approve a Chinese or an Oxford vaccine over one developed by an American private firm even if it takes months more to bring it forward - another reason why Americans will be the last to get it.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:38 PM

46,286 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You did not ask a question. LOL!

Run along and get that full transcript I ask you about.

You're right.

So, you accuse someone of mining "quotes" and then you do the exact same thing, why?

Old 04-29-2020, 02:40 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Social Distancing? Like how they were sitting in the video itself?

And I call BS on the latter statement, especially since this is a novel virus, so because it's so new, they are still trying to figure what is causing it and how to treat it.

It's their site, however, all of the information given even by the officials, has been shady as hell at best.

But all this did was legitimize the 2 doctors, not the other way around, because now people will do their own research.
I’m guessing this will be the last we hear from them unless Fox News adds them to their team with Dr Oz

Old 04-29-2020, 02:41 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
And if we ever do get a vaccine, who will get it? Will it be affordable and available to everybody?
Medicare it will be free.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:42 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I guess that depends on who develops it first. If it is a public agency, then yes. Big pharma, well you know how that goes. The Feds, of course, are in the pocket of Big Pharma, so a cynical observer would project that FDA will not approve a Chinese or an Oxford vaccine over one developed by an American private firm even if it takes months more to bring it forward - another reason why Americans will be the last to get it.
Agreed. Big government doesn't care about people. Only big government and the corporations that own them.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:43 PM

5,110 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Streisand, as in Miss Piggy Streisand?
As Barbara Streisand, because one paparazzi taked photos of her mansion. https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/streisand-effect

Quote:
Streisand Effect refers to the unintended consequence of further publicizing information by trying to have it censored. Instead of successfully removing the information from the public, it becomes even more widely available than before as a backlash against the censorship attempt.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:47 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Let me apologize in advance since all my post you split into individuals won't cary into this post.

Quote:
The data I post is from credible sources.
I didn't say the data you are posting was not credible. When you "stick to the science", you're providing great and valuable info.

Quote:
In Jan nothing since we really did not know a pandemic was about to hit us.
But that's when Germany & DSK acted. I've said numerous times "what did they get right that we can do NOW, or put in place for the future?" To me, Germany is the key because as I've said - not geographically connected to China, no SARS outbreak, more open society. Their "labs" got the test right. Ours did not.

Quote:
“We had very little in our stockpile,” Trump said in a recent briefing. “Now we’re loaded up. And we also loaded up these hospitals.”

No matter how much you want to worship this scientifically illiterate and utterly irresponsible clown...you will never be able to sweep under the rug his comments and downplaying of this pandemic.
So you are saying the "loaded up" is an exaggeration - or in some folks' mind an intentional lie to cover up. And I don't know why you think I worship him, as I have pointed out many things he has done wrong/poorly. You should learn to ignore the true "MAGA! Trump is perfect!!" as I have.

Quote:
Quote:
Me: Should he have single-handedly known well in advance not 1 ventilator had been produced from a 5 year old contract?
Such a ridiculous question as is all of your questions about what Trump should have known.

What he should have known was the medical experts were sounding the alarm...but he instead chose to ignore them until he could no longer downplay a raging pandemic.
It's pretty simple. Is the POTUS, regardless of identity, supposed to have day-to-day intricate knowledge of the workings of all the various departments of the Federal government?

SO I guess it IS ridiculous - it's rhetorical - because we all know the answer is NO. Don't we? So what exactly do you know that the medical experts were telling him that he was ignoring. We do know that on Feb 25, one went on a teleconference and said "we should be getting prepared for life as we know it to change" - which followed on the heels of discovering 2 days before there were asymptomatic carriers. (I think this is the "Red Dawn" emails). You are implying (at the least) that all the medical experts told him 1 thing, and he ignored all of it and went the other way - maybe even that he told them shut up about it.

Quote:
Quote:
Me: How does an 18-day doubling equal a "climbing spike"?
Can you please rephrase this? I have no idea what you are asking.
You said we still had a "Climbing spike". As a layman, that tells me our case RATE continues to grow. Maybe I need you to explain it to me better (which is what I asked). Today, our cases in the US have doubled since 18 days ago. Our cases are now growing ~ 2.5% per day.

Quote:
However if you want to sift through data you can visit the CDC webiste they do a good job of keeping it current. In fact today it shows that there are 23,459 New Cases* compared to yesterdays data.
You tell me since you think you know more than the science experts.
I've been using worldometers for all countries and a bit of the US by state, and the COVID project for more info on each state.

What it tells me about case rate is since April 12 we've had 6 days of 30K or more. that means 12 days (can't count today yet) of < 30K.

I've not claimed 1x that I know more - nor that Trump knows more - than the science experts.

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You're right.
So, you accuse someone of mining "quotes" and then you do the exact same thing, why?
It's clear you are confused here.

Posting a quote that someone stated with the intent of making it look as if the person meant something they did not mean is quote mining.

Posting a quote that's does not change the context or meaning that was intended by the person stating it is what I did.

These are direct quotes from Trump where I had no intention of trying to change the context.

In the early days of the virus’s spread in the United States, Trump repeatedly emphasized that everything was “under control” and that the virus would just “disappear” in warmer months.
  • Jan. 22 Trump states: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”
  • Feb. 10 Trump states: “Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”
  • Feb. 24 Trump tweets: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
  • Feb. 27 Trump states: “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
  • March 4th Trump claims: “I think the 3.4 percent [fatality rate] is really a false number.”

Posting a quote is not the same as quote mining.

Look up the definition of quote mining if you're still confused.

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
I hear even pot smoking Elon Musk is denouncing YouTube over this!

Old 04-29-2020, 02:57 PM

46,286 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
It's clear you are confused here.

Posting a quote that someone stated with the intent of making it look as if the person meant something they did not mean is quote mining.

Posting a quote that's does not change the context or meaning that was intended by the person stating it is what I did.

These are direct quotes from Trump where I had no intention of trying to change the context.

In the early days of the virus’s spread in the United States, Trump repeatedly emphasized that everything was “under control” and that the virus would just “disappear” in warmer months.
  • Jan. 22 Trump states: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”
  • Feb. 10 Trump states: “Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”
  • Feb. 24 Trump tweets: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
  • Feb. 27 Trump states: “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
  • March 4th Trump claims: “I think the 3.4 percent [fatality rate] is really a false number.”

Posting a quote is not the same as quote mining.

Look up the definition of quote mining if you're still confused.

No, I'm not confused, you tried to make your Feb. 10 quote seem like something it was not, you did not provide the entire quote...below is the entire quote:
“And by the way, the virus. … It looks like by April, you know in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away — I hope that’s true."

There is a reason you left off "I hope that 's true" part because you wanted it to look like trump meant exactly that (In April, it will go away), and that's why you dropped off the "I hope that's true" part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies