Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 10:36 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
In the 1950s virtually every person was vaccinated against smallpox and polio. Now you are saying, in this modern age, we can't preform a simple test on everyone?
I was born in 1948. Yes, I can remember seeing my Great-Grandma born in in 1875 with that Small Pox white mark on her arm. Mine is on my upper thigh instead. Everyone in the 50's got a Polio vaccination? Highly doubt that. Yeah, I got mine in 2nd or 3rd Grade on sugar cube in school, but did my Great-Grandma, Grandparents, or even my Parents???? They were far more concerned about CHILDREN getting Polio than ADULTS, especially Older Adults.

It took many YEARS to get the entire population vaccinated for Small Pox, forget Polio. That was only accomplished with succeeding generations.

Who is going to produce enough tests for 300+ million for the entire population IMMEDIATELY? Sanofi has said they are testing a potential vaccine with the aim to produce 100 million vaccines. That is only HALF the population of just the USA. Will 100 million vaccines give you your Herd Immunity, IF it is anywhere close to 100% effective?

Edit: Last week here in NEPA Monday was mass testing for First Responders and Medical Workers. Tuesday they including people over 65. ONLY criteria for Seniors were residents of NEPA. Did we RUN OUT to get tested? H no, hubs and I ain't getting up at 6 AM to sit in our car for hours and hours for some test up our noses.

Last edited by Jo48; 04-27-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 10:40 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Now please share with us YOUR infectious disease credentials. After all, you'd have to have some in order to say with any degree of authority my observations are all wet, wouldn't you?

Be that as it may I will make some observations about your remarks.
I am not the one saying all the experts around the world are wrong, you are. So, if you can challenge and say hundreds of experts are wrong, exactly what are your credentials for this? All you been doing on this forum is rattling off how the doctors are wrong and you are right.

Quote:
How on earth did our military budget get into here? Is the military an infectious disease that kills people? Your response is off the rails going out the gate.
It is an example (are you educated enough to know what this means?) of how the US can do incredible things and fund those things, yet you think testing everyone is some sort of impossible feat.

Quote:
The tact we're using now to fight this may be saving a few lives but relative to what it's costing us in lost productivity makes it a foolish tradoff. At some point hospitals will have to decide to fill to capacity and not accept anyone past that. People will die.
Again, you are more than willing to trade other people's lives for your own economic benefit.

Quote:
So glad though you are willing to sacrifice others for your own economic benefit, lol

Asinine remark. I'm not benefiting economically from Corona, no one is.
You actually flat out state that it is worth people dying to get the economy going again. You fail of course to address the economic impact of such number of deaths by way of people being scared out of their minds to go anywhere, do anything. You have demonstrated you are more than willing to sacrifice other people's lived for your own benefit, no different than a stupid politician all for going to war, willing to have other people killed for their own benefit.

Quote:
...perhaps we should kill you for this?

Again, incredibly stupid remark. I'm suspecting your IQ is somewhere between moron and cretin at this point.
Not a stupid remark at all, it is one of the most popular ethics scenario there is (seems you have studied zero about this since you have no idea what I am referring to, which demonstrates your lack of knowledge and education in this subject even more).

You have stated if people die, it is worth it to have the economy going again, that you are more than willing to sacrifice others for this (but not yourself of course). So, the ethics question for such things is simple, three very productive people need organ transplants, you, a person who is less productive, needs to die so you can give your organs to these three people. Is that something you are willing to do? If not, why you expect others to die unnecessarily then?

Old 04-27-2020, 10:40 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
"Rate" implies a "per capita", lol. WTF do you think a rate is when we are talking about this subject? Rate is not absolute numbers. But if that is the only thing you got to go on...
No, "death rate" is being calculated as "deaths per confirmed case." Not as deaths per capita. If it were, the US death rate would be infinitesimal.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:41 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I think it's a lot lower than that (c. 10% severe), but still in the millions.
It's about 20%.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:42 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Put in people who are smokers, diabetes, and over 60

I didn't throw in those with obesity, chronic lung diseases, auto immune disorders, individuals on chemotherapy, and those who vape as well

Threw in 30 million with cardiovascular issues could be higher though
If you were being entirely fair, you would have pointed out the huge amount of overlap among those categories.

In other words, 60+ year-old, obese, diabetic smokers with lung and cardiovascular disease.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:45 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, "death rate" is being calculated as "deaths per confirmed case." Not as deaths per capita. If it were, the US death rate would be infinitesimal.
Death rate per million according to the popularly referred to site; https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Probably should have been more clearer. Besides, you are the one who originally stated "per capita" lol. Hence why I continued to put it in quotes.

Semantics at this point, please address the substance of my post if you want.

Sweden ranks among the top in the world in deaths per million, their approach has been a disaster, only mitigated by people taking actions among themselves, relatively healthy population, and excellent healthcare system, however, that did not save the vulnerable who got needlessly infected due to inaction by Sweden.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:00 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The difference is that in Sweden, people are voluntarily distancing. Americans have already demonstrated that too many of them are unwilling to do the same, as evidenced by crowded religious gatherings, beaches, parties, etc.

True. Swedes have more common sense in their pinkie tip than we have in our entire brain. It will be our undoing sooner rather than later.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:09 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I am not the one saying all the experts around the world are wrong, you are. So, if you can challenge and say hundreds of experts are wrong, exactly what are your credentials for this? All you been doing on this forum is rattling off how the doctors are wrong and you are right.

It is an example (are you educated enough to know what this means?) of how the US can do incredible things and fund those things, yet you think testing everyone is some sort of impossible feat.

Again, you are more than willing to trade other people's lives for your own economic benefit.

You actually flat out state that it is worth people dying to get the economy going again. You fail of course to address the economic impact of such number of deaths by way of people being scared out of their minds to go anywhere, do anything. You have demonstrated you are more than willing to sacrifice other people's lived for your own benefit, no different than a stupid politician all for going to war, willing to have other people killed for their own benefit.

Not a stupid remark at all, it is one of the most popular ethics scenario there is (seems you have studied zero about this since you have no idea what I am referring to, which demonstrates your lack of knowledge and education in this subject even more).

You have stated if people die, it is worth it to have the economy going again, that you are more than willing to sacrifice others for this (but not yourself of course). So, the ethics question for such things is simple, three very productive people need organ transplants, you, a person who is less productive, needs to die so you can give your organs to these three people. Is that something you are willing to do? If not, why you expect others to die unnecessarily then?

How do you know all this? I don't know you from Adam and you don't know me--certainly not well enough to know whether I'd be willing to sacrifice myself along with a few million others to keep the economy afloat.

Your rants are just so totally out in left field I couldn't possibly begin to respond to them unless I somehow were able to lower myself down to your feeble IQ. Therefore I will refrain.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:41 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was born in 1948. Yes, I can remember seeing my Great-Grandma born in in 1875 with that Small Pox white mark on her arm. Mine is on my upper thigh instead. Everyone in the 50's got a Polio vaccination? Highly doubt that. Yeah, I got mine in 2nd or 3rd Grade on sugar cube in school, but did my Great-Grandma, Grandparents, or even my Parents???? They were far more concerned about CHILDREN getting Polio than ADULTS, especially Older Adults.

It took many YEARS to get the entire population vaccinated for Small Pox, forget Polio. That was only accomplished with succeeding generations.

Who is going to produce enough tests for 300+ million for the entire population IMMEDIATELY? Sanofi has said they are testing a potential vaccine with the aim to produce 100 million vaccines. That is only HALF the population of just the USA. Will 100 million vaccines give you your Herd Immunity, IF it is anywhere close to 100% effective?

Edit: Last week here in NEPA Monday was mass testing for First Responders and Medical Workers. Tuesday they including people over 65. ONLY criteria for Seniors were residents of NEPA. Did we RUN OUT to get tested? H no, hubs and I ain't getting up at 6 AM to sit in our car for hours and hours for some test up our noses.
A vaccine may be injected or given oraly. Polio was an oral vaccine on a sugar cube for a lot of children in the 50s. However you get it, you are vaccinated.

My point is, with a simple, low cost test, everyone could be tested, perhaps multiple times if needed. I've lost count how many times I've been tested for TB. You can not contain a highly contagious disease if you don't where it is and who has it. If we had known every person that was infected and confined them, then the rest of us could had gone about our daily business with out shutting down every thing. After a couple weeks, all the confined could get back to work. It's done.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:12 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
1. It can be done. Folks listed the examples in this very thread.

2. Regardless, the point isn't to test every single last human in the U.S. If you get an acceptable percentage, decided by science, that's a point forward.

This forum baffles me every day. I should be surprised but I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies