Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 07:47 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So you're saying that Cuomo is just incredibly stupid, and not deliberately infecting the most vulnerable? I guess that makes it manslaughter rather than murder.

Nursing homes weren't given any choice, Cuomo dictated that they take Covid-positive patients, rather they were equipped to maintain isolation or not. Very few are equipped to do so. Things like negative pressure ventilation were unlikely to be considered when they were built.
But aren't you also in the camp that says the government should mandate the opening of the economy? From a liability standpoint, how is that any different?

A mandate to open nursing homes and/or the economy MUST be accompanied by guidelines and common sense. A qualified nursing home MUST understand the basic concepts of containing an outbreak, be it small or huge. His mandate should have (I don't know if it did not did not, I don't live in NY) come with the stated assumption that they have to take necessary precautions. If that was not stated, then it is on him.

Likewise, the opening of states should have the same, from the admin to the governors to the municipalities.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, other than to say the same concepts apply, even if the situation and stakes are different. It is equally as "incredibly stupid" to open the economy without precautions. Actually, it is equally stupid but on a much larger scale.

Are you willing to to apply the same standard to R's and D's? Just asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 07:58 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
1) So why couldn't Cuomo pick up the phone and ask Trump to OK the Navy's intake of the COVID patients? He certainly had no qualms about asking Trump for all sorts of supplies and equipment. Imagine! The Comfort was sent back to Norfolk because it was sitting practically empty while Cuomo was importing the virus into nursing homes because he didn't know what else to do with these old sick people. For shame!

2) I wouldn't talk about bias. You are so biased against Trump that you are unwilling to acknowledge the horrendous, and life-costing, incompetence of a governor simply because he is a Democrat. If it came out that a Republican governor was forcing nursing homes to take in COVID patients, you and all the Demmies would be calling for his head.
Comfort did switch to COVID patients. The timeline is getting muddled here and people are talking about policies that were implemented before the federal govt. sent the Comfort. It's in the details.

The issue is -- the nursing home crisis in our country was caused by varying factors. CDC guidelines, shortage of staff, supplies, etc...and the unavoidable facts that this virus impacted older people and nursing homes are crowded with older people.

I don't blame any other governor any more than Cuomo. BUT this diverting blame for the deaths in nursing homes in New York State to Cuomo's policy (which was the CDC policy at the time) is political.

I didn't post a thread about how DeSantis purposely hid nursing home stats from Florida residents because....I didn't feel it necessary to create a political post about how one Republican Governor may have implemented a wrong policy.

So don't come at me.

Yes I dislike Trump.......I think he mismanaged this crisis terribly because of his fragile ego. I think he continues to mismanage the crisis -- if not from actual strategies from a messaging perspective.

But to suggest Cuomo is more responsible for deaths than other politicians is political and not realistic.

“This nursing home directive was based on CDC guidelines and is virtually identical to several other states,” he said in a statement. “And the clear policy is if a nursing home does not have the facilities, the staff nor the protective equipment to care for a resident, they must transfer them to a place that can — period.”

I own my bias on Trump -- but I'm not anti-Republican. You gloss over that fact constantly.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:15 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Even I agree even though I am a radical leftist. I pattern my legal practice after Judge Eric Moyé (link).

The Judge wasn't upholding any law. There was no law stating hair salons must close or remain closed.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:36 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Judge wasn't upholding any law. There was no law stating hair salons must close or remain closed.
OK, regulations given the force of law by the governor's statutory emergency authority. Happy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Figure out what NY did and do the opposite to get the best results. Not surprising that they deliberately infected hundreds of elderly....follow the money to find out why.
I think the negligence or intent was borderline criminal.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:50 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Florida too
That didn't age well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Cuomo is Garbage. Because what he did - many died. Because of this, People in Nursing homes, got infected. Yup sure as Hell did. Both my Sister inlaw and Niece work in a Rehab/Nursing home that were forced to take in Covid Pt's and it infected others, which Died. My sis inlaw got infected as well.

Cuomo is A POS.
Very sorry to hear this.

My dad died on March 17th, but not of Covid.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:22 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Did I use the word "murder"?
You didn't have to.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:46 PM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times
https://nypost.com/2020/04/20/cuomo-...nursing-homes/

Watch Cuomo's briefing - he didn't know the policy. Now people get all up in Trump's face if he doesn't know something - but I'm betting the Democrats here would give old Andy a pass.

I'm not making it political and don't care the party of any of these officials who allowed this. At least in NY, nursing homes are horrible in good times. They don't have the staff nor the supplies to take care of the people that have to be there. Throw in a pandemic disease and it's even worse. Many tried to inform officials here that they didn't have the staff or supplies to cope with tis situation and it fell on deaf ears.

Over 4800 elderly dead because of this policy - and that's just in NY - so don't give me we can't open the economy because I'm old, or think about your parents - because none of you gave 2 beans about those in nursing homes - you're all just as selfish. https://time.com/5832141/new-york-nu...me-death-toll/

Old 05-09-2020, 04:50 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's the ENTIRE problem! Liberals always revert to what "feels" right - the law be damned. The only thing I don't get with the topic of this thread is how could it have felt right to Cuomo to knowingly import the virus (via positive patients) into the most vulnerable population while he rags on about how we have to protect our most vulnerable population.
Nursing home and long term facility deaths account for about a third of all deaths nationwide, this isn't just a problem in NY. Nursing homes are supposed to be able to safely isolate patients that have the virus same as the flu. They have to accept patients that are stable, what is the policy in other states.

Truth is that these facilities just did not have the protective gear and ability, that is true of hospitals also.
They are an at risk because of age, if they are stable they did not have the luxury of occupying an ICU bed in some of these over burdened hospitals. There are a few hundred thousand workers at nursing homes, many at the minimum wage and could be sources of infection. I wouldn't assume that it is the patients transferring the disease it could be a number of ways.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
OK, regulations given the force of law by the governor's statutory emergency authority. Happy?I think the negligence or intent was borderline criminal.
It is more complex by a lot than is being portrayed here.

CA for instance appears to have half their deaths in senior facilities. Some analysis has said that a third of the US deaths occurred in senior facilities.

And the initial order was modified a week later to require accepting virus patients only if the facility had suitable staff.

So I think we are simply showing a bias against Cuomo rather than a real analysis of what happened.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:17 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Piling Corona infected folks into nursing homes is no different than piling the impoverished
into New York City Housing Projects and no different than piling criminals into jail cells.

When you don't have answers to a huge problem the only solution is Containment.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies