U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 06:23 AM

24,546 posts, read 10,011,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think Governor Cuomo just wanted to open up another hospital bed

I just do not understand why he didn't just send these nursing home, covid-19 positive patients, to either the USS comfort or to one of those hospitals that the government had set up for him. Why on Earth would he send patience positive with covid-19 do nursing homes??? At the time, we knew those people where in the highest risk category.

I don't understand it. I think it was probably the most ignorant and destructive thing that any politician has done, is what Governor Cuomo did, sending those patients positive covid-19 into the nursing homes and assisted living.
It was a decision that killed thousands.

Not possible to defend.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 07:40 AM

3,314 posts, read 1,892,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
1st - The USNS Comfort began taking Covid patients back on 4/8 - not what it was intended fhttps://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/magazine/hospital-ship-comfort-new-york-coronavirus.htmlor - they were suppose to treat the non Covid cases you speak of.

2nd. The nursing homes DO NOT have proper isolation places nor staff trained to handle them - that's why for the last 3 weeks my cousin has been left in his room with meals delivered outside the door as there are no isolation rooms - there are 2 patients on his wing with Covid. The most they can do is tell the other patients not to come out of their rooms.

If you didn't think that the USNS Comfort that contains 12 fully-equipped operating rooms, a 1,000 bed hospital facility, digital radiological services, a medical laboratory, a pharmacy, an optometry lab, a CAT-scan and two oxygen producing plants can't handle the Covid patients - how the heck do you think a nursing home or assisted living facility can handle them?

Yes they'd be taking up space - but we have beds in our area hospitals. There was the Javits center and the USNS Comfort already in NY - there was no need to send infected patients back to the facilities were the people are the most vulnerable. I can not believe the lack of conscious thought on these forums. You've been led around by what the media reports for so long - you can't think for yourself or make your own conclusions.
Well, it's not quite as you have stated. The Feds said, "Here's a ship. It's not for COVID patients. It's for everything else. Keep your COVID patients in the ICU's and adapt the hospitals for the overrun." So this is what New York State had to work with.

What actually happened of course was that people with elective surgeries scheduled did not want to go through with them, and other people who might have been admitted to hospitals for non-emergency stays were also delayed. So the Comfort was underused. And now they have refitted the Comfort - but this was a Fed decision, not a state decision.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:03 AM

34,678 posts, read 20,957,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It was a decision that killed thousands.

Not possible to defend.
True. But you'll never hear a word from CNN or MSNBC. Cuomo is a darling of the nutjobs because he attacks Trump constantly.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:42 AM

15,453 posts, read 4,652,205 times
premeditated murder.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:08 AM

7,570 posts, read 3,272,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, it's not quite as you have stated. The Feds said, "Here's a ship. It's not for COVID patients. It's for everything else. Keep your COVID patients in the ICU's and adapt the hospitals for the overrun." So this is what New York State had to work with.

What actually happened of course was that people with elective surgeries scheduled did not want to go through with them, and other people who might have been admitted to hospitals for non-emergency stays were also delayed. So the Comfort was underused. And now they have refitted the Comfort - but this was a Fed decision, not a state decision.
Please please please get your facts straight!!!!!! Due to NY Hospitals complaining about the procedures enacted by the Federal gov't is the reason that the USNS Comfort ended up with Covid patients because patients didn't receive the testing needed by the hospitals before being assigned to the Comfort. Has nothing to do with electives surgeries - we have yet to open up hospitals for elective surgeries.

https://www.wivb.com/health/coronavi...ovid-19-surge/

I'm frustrated with people not doing their homework and putting it back on us who know what we're talking about and then we have to educate them.

Although nursing homes can isolate patients, this is for non contagions that don't affect the rest of the nursing or assisted living populations. They don't have the staff to care for everyone and why so many nursing homes are now on lockdowns - no visitors, employee testing - you can't even drop off snacks, clothing ect for those in the nursing homes.

I have a 2nd cousin - released to a nursing facility with pulmonary fibrosis - she can't walk 10 steps without her oxygen level bottoming. They moved a woman with Covid 19 into the room across from her a week ago. Needless to say - her family is fighting this and want her moved.

Regardless - moving these patients back into the nursing homes - you are putting our elderly at risk. What I find funny is that many of you are the ones saying we shouldn't open the economy yet because we need to save people - very ironic.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:37 AM

17,280 posts, read 12,509,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Please please please get your facts straight!!!!!! Due to NY Hospitals complaining about the procedures enacted by the Federal gov't is the reason that the USNS Comfort ended up with Covid patients because patients didn't receive the testing needed by the hospitals before being assigned to the Comfort. Has nothing to do with electives surgeries - we have yet to open up hospitals for elective surgeries.

https://www.wivb.com/health/coronavi...ovid-19-surge/

I'm frustrated with people not doing their homework and putting it back on us who know what we're talking about and then we have to educate them.

Although nursing homes can isolate patients, this is for non contagions that don't affect the rest of the nursing or assisted living populations. They don't have the staff to care for everyone and why so many nursing homes are now on lockdowns - no visitors, employee testing - you can't even drop off snacks, clothing ect for those in the nursing homes.

I have a 2nd cousin - released to a nursing facility with pulmonary fibrosis - she can't walk 10 steps without her oxygen level bottoming. They moved a woman with Covid 19 into the room across from her a week ago. Needless to say - her family is fighting this and want her moved.

Regardless - moving these patients back into the nursing homes - you are putting our elderly at risk. What I find funny is that many of you are the ones saying we shouldn't open the economy yet because we need to save people - very ironic.
You caught this too, I see.

I posted the actual March 25 order earlier. Outside of China’s actions, this was one of the most unconscionable actions any politician has allowed to happen. You won’t allow family members to visit people in nursing homes because they might have Covid-19 and nursing home residents are unlikely to survive if they catch it, but you demand the nursing home admit people they know have Covid-19? Even after the association serving most of nursing homes begs them not to do this because they know it will be a disaster. How is that reasonable in anyone’s mind?

Cuomo has a lot of nerve directing nursing homes to be investigated.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/ami...t-will-partner

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/he...5-b5af508444df

He is directly responsible for those deaths.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:43 AM

7,900 posts, read 9,363,166 times
Cuomo is Garbage. Because what he did - many died. Because of this, People in Nursing homes, got infected. Yup sure as Hell did. Both my Sister inlaw and Niece work in a Rehab/Nursing home that were forced to take in Covid Pt's and it infected others, which Died. My sis inlaw got infected as well.

Cuomo is A POS.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:44 AM

33,672 posts, read 22,516,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You caught this too, I see.

I posted the actual March 25 order earlier. Outside of China’s actions, this was one of the most unconscionable actions any politician has allowed to happen. You won’t allow family members to visit people in nursing homes because they might have Covid-19 and nursing home residents are unlikely to survive if they catch it, but you demand the nursing home admit people they know have Covid-19? Even after the association serving most of nursing homes begs them not to do this because they know it will be a disaster. How is that reasonable in anyone’s mind?

Cuomo has a lot of nerve directing nursing homes to be investigated.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/ami...t-will-partner

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/he...5-b5af508444df

He is directly responsible for those deaths.
amen. you nailed it.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:50 AM

6,853 posts, read 1,263,696 times
Because he's the most embarrassingly incompetent governor in the country.....and yet we've had some of our friends on the left fawning over his authoritarian strong man shtick because they are desperate for someone to push as a leader right now because Biden is so pathetic.

They'd take an authoritarian simpleton who wants to oppress them over the old sex pervert with dementia they have running for president.....and they'd take literally anyone over the bad orange man.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:52 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,272,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Cuomo is Garbage. Because what he did - many died. Because of this, People in Nursing homes, got infected. Yup sure as Hell did. Both my Sister inlaw and Niece work in a Rehab/Nursing home that were forced to take in Covid Pt's and it infected others, which Died. My sis inlaw got infected as well.

Cuomo is A POS.
Oh but the left loves that he gives daily updates and sound like a politician - so they overlook how bad he is at his actual job. And they talk who support Trump - gotta love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies