U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 08:52 AM

33,671 posts, read 22,516,150 times

Advertisements

..when he had to have known what a horrible idea that was?

he could have sent them to the USNS Comfort. or set up a couple facilities exclusively for hunan coronavirus-infected residents.

but no..

Quote:
Gov. Cuomo doubled down Sunday on the state’s controversial directive ordering nursing homes to admit COVID-19 patients.

The governor — who himself has described nursing homes as a “feeding frenzy’’ for the deadly coronavirus — said that the facilities can’t challenge a state regulation forcing them to admit patients with the contagion.https://nypost.com/2020/04/26/cuomo-...nursing-homes/
Cuomo: Nursing homes 'don’t have the right to object' to order requiring admission of COVID-19 patients
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 09:03 AM

7,570 posts, read 3,272,612 times
I've posted this exact thing a couple of times. The infection in nursing and assisted living homes is horrible - even in Western NY.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:25 AM

3,314 posts, read 1,892,927 times
But - are we going to have our hospitals overrun with Covid-19 patients and just-born babies and their mothers getting the virus? How about your son who had to go in for an asthma attack? How about your daughter who fell and broke her arm and needed to be kept overnight? How about your husband or wife who needed a gallbladder removal or an Xray?

They already said if the nursing home didn't have proper isolation places and staff, that they wouldn't have to take them.

The USNS Comfort was not set up for Covid-19 patients. They don't have any isolation places or procedures or equipment there.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:27 AM

34,678 posts, read 20,957,462 times
Simple. Because he is a complete and utter moron. An intelligent leader would have ensured that there were "transition homes" where infected people could be quarantined until any risk of contagion was over, prior to being released into a population of the most vulnerable people in the nation. But Cuomo was too busy whining for a hospital that was never used, thousands of ventilators that were never needed and putting on press conferences to attack Trump every day than to actually think anything through. The fool has blood on his hands.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:34 AM

26,330 posts, read 14,805,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I've posted this exact thing a couple of times. The infection in nursing and assisted living homes is horrible - even in Western NY.
Florida too

Old 04-28-2020, 09:34 AM

42,694 posts, read 17,533,649 times
Nursing homes have to accept stable patients that don't require hospitalization. Nursing homes have the ability to isolate just like hospitals. I would expect the mortality rate to be higher in nursing homes with elderly compromised patients if they don't follow procedures with their staff. The infection rate in many nursing homes throughout the US is high.

So what's the option, sending nursing home patients with no adverse conditions back to hospitals to occupy beds in the middle of a pandemic.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:47 AM

2,872 posts, read 658,372 times
Easy answer. Hospitals are the dirtiest places in the world and a horrible place to keep patients that do not need Emergency services. Patients have to return back to their homes and if they live in a ALF or nursing home AND your state has not set up alternative housing then they go back.

The risk of staying in a hospital and getting another infection or re-infected with COVID and dying is high during an crisis. Again we don’t know if having the virus makes you immune to catching again. so if your nurse in the hospital is covered with virus on their equipment then you are in a horrible place and need to get out.

Now what would it require to place nursing homes patients in another location, let’s run that down
1. Housing or hotel
2. Nurses and medical staff
3 medical equipment and supplies
4. Food and staff to prepare
5 Biohazard waste setup
6. Tons of PPE as patients with known infections are there just not sick enough for the hospital
7. Administrations to run the facility
8. Public health support IE state public health

That entire list would need be paid for by TAX PAYERS on top of the Medicaid finds that continue to follow to their actual nursing home bed because technically they are still holding the bed and get paid via Medicaid for that bed either way.

Given all the complaints of tax payer burden, Medicaid, and waste I would have thought people would Not want the states to use hotels and expensive resources unless absolutely necessary.

I don’t know if NY even had hotels that would agree to take the patients as the rooms cannot have central air that links to other rooms, that’s a whole other issue.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:06 PM

25,189 posts, read 15,630,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
..when he had to have known what a horrible idea that was?

he could have sent them to the USNS Comfort. or set up a couple facilities exclusively for hunan coronavirus-infected residents.

but no..

Cuomo: Nursing homes 'don’t have the right to object' to order requiring admission of COVID-19 patients
I think Governor Cuomo just wanted to open up another hospital bed

I just do not understand why he didn't just send these nursing home, covid-19 positive patients, to either the USS comfort or to one of those hospitals that the government had set up for him. Why on Earth would he send patience positive with covid-19 do nursing homes??? At the time, we knew those people where in the highest risk category.

I don't understand it. I think it was probably the most ignorant and destructive thing that any politician has done, is what Governor Cuomo did, sending those patients positive covid-19 into the nursing homes and assisted living.

I heard one of those press conferences with Governor Cuomo where he said the hospital ship comfort couldn't take nursing home patients because there wasn't a protocol for it. To me that's a lame way for him to try and excused himself from any culpability. All he had to do talk to the president of the United States and say "President Trump, can you authorize sending patients from nursing homes positive with covid-19 to the hospital ship."

And you know he didn't even have to send them do the hospital ship, we already had hospitals built by the federal government, Cuomo could have sent them there. And his other lame way of trying to escape any blame was the claim that the nursing homes were just greedy, that was obnoxious that was repulsive it was disgusting of him to say

One other thing I might add, making the default position of Governor Cuomo's directive, that nursing homes must accept patience positively covid-19, unless they go through the bureaucratic State red tape and try to exclude themselves from receiving positive patients.

The default position should have been the patient's positive with covid-19 shall not be sent to nursing homes unless the nursing home make the special request to the to receive a positive covid-19 patient

And how stupid was this this! It's s like ordering a shelter-in-place command to your citizens, and oh by the way we're going to stick a patient in your home positive with covid-19, while you're Sheltering in place. Then Cuomo looks all kind of shocked when the people in that house all become infected with covid-19

Last edited by Wapasha; 04-28-2020 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 12:09 PM

35,173 posts, read 22,628,236 times
I don't remember if it was the CNN or some other left media said Cuomo was the type of leadership New York needs right now.

Well, not saying he is not a great governor, but I do wonder what he has done for the New Yorkers? I think he blames the international traveling and density.

He himself said quarantine New York is unrealistic; his shelter-in-place order came very late. I wonder if he knew what he was doing.

All these said, one month ago, I just wish we won't end up like Italy, now, sheesh, I don't even know what to say.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:06 PM

17,280 posts, read 12,509,169 times
They have blood on their hands.
Quote:
No resident shall be denied re-admission or admission to the NH solely based on a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19. NHs are prohibited from requiring a hospitalized resident who is determined medically stable to be tested for COVID-19 prior to admission or readmission
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/sy...ns_-032520.pdf

Are you freaking kidding me? They aren’t even allowed to know if they still have it?

And it wasn’t just New York. New Jersey and Massachusetts also did it. California started to then walked back from it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ients-n1191811

But, hey, they included body bags while doing it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nurs...atients-2020-4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies